|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
(b) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She disappeared and was never found again.
2. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows he will be okay later.
(d) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) His father and brother.
(b) His son and brother.
(c) Job and Milton.
(d) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That his life has been great.
(b) That he did have some good times in the past.
(c) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(d) That he has come full circle.
5. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(b) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
(c) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(d) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
2. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
3. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
4. What does Styron say depression is like?
5. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)