|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Rich people.
(b) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(c) Poor people.
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(d) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Withdrawal from friendships.
(b) Constant weepiness.
(c) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(d) Lack of cohesive thought.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Their son was caught between their differences.
(b) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(c) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(d) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
5. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
(b) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
(c) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(d) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
2. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
3. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
4. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
5. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)