|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(b) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(c) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
2. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(b) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(c) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(d) Plan his own suicide.
3. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
(b) That they were always good writers.
(c) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
(d) That they had no other way to escape.
4. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Job and Milton.
(b) His son and brother.
(c) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(d) His father and brother.
5. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(b) At a democratic convention.
(c) At the del Duco award dinner.
(d) At a writer's conference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
3. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
5. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)