|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(b) He didn't know Camus very well.
(c) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(d) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
3. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(c) The title didn't fit the story.
(d) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
4. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) People younger than their teens.
(b) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(c) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(d) Mothers who enjoy their role.
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) What doctor to see about it.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(d) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
2. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
3. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
4. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
5. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)