|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
2. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(b) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(c) He finds inspiration for another book.
(d) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
3. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) Because of the stigma of suicide.
(b) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
(c) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(d) She was cheating on him.
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) The title didn't fit the story.
(c) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(d) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
5. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) Abbie Hoffman.
(c) Cino del Duca.
(d) Albert Camus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
2. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
3. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
4. What is Styron not able to recover?
5. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)