|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Their son was caught between their differences.
(b) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(c) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(d) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
2. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
(d) New York.
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Lack of cohesive thought.
(c) Withdrawal from friendships.
(d) Constant weepiness.
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(b) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
5. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
3. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)