|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) The title didn't fit the story.
(c) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(d) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
2. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) Very inaccurate guide.
(b) A good manual.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) The psychiatrist's bible.
3. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
(b) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
(c) His whole family rejected him.
(d) His wife left him.
4. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They didn't believe it.
(b) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(c) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(d) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
5. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
(a) Because they don't have a very strong will to live.
(b) Because of moral weakness and lack of character.
(c) Because depression is so deep they can't see any other way out.
(d) Because they don't love their families like other people do.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
2. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
3. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)