|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(b) At a writer's conference.
(c) At a democratic convention.
(d) At the del Duco award dinner.
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(d) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
3. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(d) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
4. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(b) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(c) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
(d) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
5. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(c) Only five.
(d) More women than men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
2. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
3. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
4. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)