|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They didn't believe it.
(b) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
(c) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(d) They were devastated and grieved over it.
2. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(c) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
3. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Plan his own suicide.
(b) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(c) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(d) Denounce Levi as his friend.
4. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) There is not one particular time, it varies.
(b) In childhood.
(c) In early adulthood.
(d) In middle age.
5. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
(a) Because of moral weakness and lack of character.
(b) Because depression is so deep they can't see any other way out.
(c) Because they don't have a very strong will to live.
(d) Because they don't love their families like other people do.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
3. Styron calls depression:
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)