|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is very sleepy.
(b) That he appears not to feel well.
(c) He is angry at his friends.
(d) He is disoriented.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(d) He knows he will be okay later.
4. Though the death of the poet, Randall Jarrell, was ruled accidental, why does Styron say it was probably suicide?
(a) He wanted to gain support for his theory that depression led to suicide.
(b) Because of Jarrell's depression and the fact there was no reason for him to be on the road on which he was struck by a car.
(c) He didn't want Jarrell's widow to receive the large insurance settlement.
(d) He wanted to discredit Jarrell because of a disagreement they had.
5. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(a) A month.
(b) A couple of years.
(c) A year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
2. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
3. What does Styron think after his flashback?
4. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
5. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)