|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(b) She disappeared and was never found again.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
2. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
3. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(b) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(c) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(b) He thinks they both had depression.
(c) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
(d) He thinks they should have won the award.
5. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Constant weepiness.
(b) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(c) Withdrawal from friendships.
(d) Lack of cohesive thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
2. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)