|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(b) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
(c) He was a political activist.
(d) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
2. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
(c) Retire early and write.
(d) Give it all to charity.
3. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(c) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(d) Damp weather.
4. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(b) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(c) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(d) It makes him realize life is too short.
5. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is angry at his friends.
(b) He is very sleepy.
(c) That he appears not to feel well.
(d) He is disoriented.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
2. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
4. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
5. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)