|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(b) He knows he will be okay later.
(c) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(d) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
2. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Give it all to charity.
(d) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
3. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(b) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(c) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
5. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That life isn't worth living.
(c) That his friends must be weak.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
2. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
3. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
5. What does Styron say depression is like?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)