|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
2. Styron calls depression:
(a) Disorder of mood.
(b) Very common.
(c) Very rare.
(d) Terrible sadness.
3. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Reflections of Life."
(b) "Paradise Lost."
(c) "The Stranger."
(d) "The Long Day."
4. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(b) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(c) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
(d) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) What doctor to see about it.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(d) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
2. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
3. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
4. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
5. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)