|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) That he appears not to feel well.
(b) He is disoriented.
(c) He is very sleepy.
(d) He is angry at his friends.
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(b) He didn't know Camus very well.
(c) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(d) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
3. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(b) A couple of years.
(c) A month.
(d) A year.
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(c) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(d) The title didn't fit the story.
5. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) Only five.
(b) More women than men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
3. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
4. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)