|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(d) He knows he will be okay later.
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(c) Intense anxiety.
(d) Loss of friendships.
3. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(b) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(c) That his friends must be weak.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
4. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) More women than men.
(c) Only five.
5. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he did have some good times in the past.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he has come full circle.
(d) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
3. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)