|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(b) She disappeared and was never found again.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(d) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
3. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(c) Why does life have hardships?
(d) Is life worth living?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) William Styron.
(c) Cino del Duco
(d) Rose Styron.
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(c) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
2. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
3. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
4. What does Styron say depression is like?
5. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)