|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Man's alienation from other men.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Depression never causes suicide.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
3. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is angry at his friends.
(b) He is very sleepy.
(c) He is disoriented.
(d) That he appears not to feel well.
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mind.
(c) His check for $25,000.
(d) Control of his anger.
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(b) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(c) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
4. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
5. What does Styron call the DSM?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)