|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(b) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(c) Damp weather.
2. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Job and Milton.
(b) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(c) His son and brother.
(d) His father and brother.
3. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Loss of friendships.
(b) Intense anxiety.
(d) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
4. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(b) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(c) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(d) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(c) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(d) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
2. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
4. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
5. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)