|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(b) He knows he will be okay later.
(c) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(d) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Withdrawal from friendships.
(c) Constant weepiness.
(d) Lack of cohesive thought.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(b) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(c) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(b) What doctor to see about it.
(c) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(d) Whether to tell his wife or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
3. What is the award Styron receives?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
5. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)