|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His check for $25,000.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His mind.
(d) Control of his anger.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That his friends must be weak.
(b) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(c) That life isn't worth living.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
3. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
(a) Make him new friends.
(b) Restore his ego.
(c) Pay all his bills.
(d) Make him famous.
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Abbie Hoffman.
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) Cino del Duca.
(d) Albert Camus.
5. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That his life has been great.
(b) That he has come full circle.
(c) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(d) That he did have some good times in the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
3. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
5. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)