|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
2. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) An extra sleepy mood.
(b) Makes him angry at everyone.
(c) Drowning or suffocation.
(d) A sadness.
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) More women than men.
(d) Only five.
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Why does life have hardships?
(c) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(d) Is life worth living?
5. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That it was a form of suicide.
(b) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(c) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(d) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
2. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
5. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)