|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(b) Damp weather.
(d) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(d) He knows he will be okay later.
4. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(b) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(c) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(d) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
5. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(b) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
(c) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(d) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
3. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
5. Styron calls depression:
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)