|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) What doctor to see about it.
(d) Whether to tell his wife or not.
2. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Reflections of Life."
(b) "The Stranger."
(c) "Paradise Lost."
(d) "The Long Day."
3. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize life is too short.
(b) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(c) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(d) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
4. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
5. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) Very inaccurate guide.
(b) A guide to treatment.
(c) The psychiatrist's bible.
(d) A good manual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
2. Styron calls depression:
3. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
4. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
5. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)