|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His check for $25,000.
(c) His mind.
(d) Control of his anger.
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(b) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
(c) He thinks they should have won the award.
(d) He thinks they both had depression.
3. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(b) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(c) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(d) That it was a form of suicide.
4. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(b) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(c) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(d) He didn't know Camus very well.
5. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(b) Loss of friendships.
(c) Intense anxiety.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
4. What does Styron say depression is like?
5. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)