|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) Depression always leads to suicide.
(b) Man's alienation from other men.
(c) All men suffer from deep depression.
(d) Depression never causes suicide.
2. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(c) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) More women than men.
(c) Only five.
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Constant weepiness.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Withdrawal from friendships.
5. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That life isn't worth living.
(b) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(c) That his friends must be weak.
(d) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
2. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
3. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
4. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
5. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)