|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) A good manual.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) The psychiatrist's bible.
2. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) Makes him angry at everyone.
(b) A sadness.
(c) Drowning or suffocation.
(d) An extra sleepy mood.
3. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(b) Is life worth living?
(c) Does man depend on other men?
(d) Why does life have hardships?
4. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
(d) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
5. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(d) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
5. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)