|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Lack of cohesive thought.
(b) Withdrawal from friendships.
(c) Constant weepiness.
(d) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
2. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(b) People younger than their teens.
(c) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(d) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
3. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Seeing the Hotel.
(b) Seeing his two friends.
(c) Winning the award.
(d) Visiting the museum.
4. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(b) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(c) Damp weather.
(d) Screaming until he was hoarse.
5. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) Man's alienation from other men.
(b) All men suffer from deep depression.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Depression never causes suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
5. What does Styron think after his flashback?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)