|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(b) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
2. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(b) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(c) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(d) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
3. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Cino del Duco
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) Rose Styron.
(d) William Styron.
4. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(c) Loss of friendships.
(d) Intense anxiety.
5. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(c) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(d) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron call the DSM?
2. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
4. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Styron think after his flashback?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)