|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron calls depression:
(a) Terrible sadness.
(b) Very common.
(c) Very rare.
(d) Disorder of mood.
2. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(b) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(c) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
(d) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
3. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His friendships.
(b) His fame.
(c) His family.
(d) His lucidity.
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Rich people.
(c) Poor people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Reflections of Life."
(b) "The Stranger."
(c) "The Long Day."
(d) "Paradise Lost."
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
3. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
5. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)