|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(a) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A couple of years.
2. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(b) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(c) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(d) It makes him realize life is too short.
3. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(b) That he did have some good times in the past.
(c) That he has come full circle.
(d) That his life has been great.
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Withdrawal from friendships.
(b) Constant weepiness.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) What doctor to see about it.
(b) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(c) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(d) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
2. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
3. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
5. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)