|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He doesn't like to travel.
(b) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(c) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(d) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
2. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Newberry Award.
(b) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
(c) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(d) Nobel Peace Prize.
3. Styron calls depression:
(a) Disorder of mood.
(b) Very common.
(c) Terrible sadness.
(d) Very rare.
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Withdrawal from friendships.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Constant weepiness.
5. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(b) Intense anxiety.
(c) Loss of friendships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
4. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
5. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)