Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(b) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
(c) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(d) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His fame.
(b) His lucidity.
(c) His family.
(d) His friendships.
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) Only five.
(c) More women than men.
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Long Day."
(b) "Paradise Lost."
(c) "Reflections of Life."
(d) "The Stranger."
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) People younger than their teens.
(b) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(c) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(d) Mothers who enjoy their role.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
2. What is the award Styron receives?
3. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
4. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
5. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)