|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
(b) To cancer treatment.
(c) To a child's early life.
(d) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
2. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
(b) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
(c) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(d) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
3. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
(a) Insurmountable loss.
(b) Lifelong loss.
(c) Incomplete mourning.
(d) Dark depression.
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(b) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(c) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(d) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
5. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
2. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
5. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)