|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) In middle age.
(b) In early adulthood.
(c) In childhood.
(d) There is not one particular time, it varies.
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(b) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(c) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
(d) To go to the hospital for treatment.
3. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
(b) That they had no other way to escape.
(c) That they were always good writers.
(d) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(c) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
5. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old term for depression?
2. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
3. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
5. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)