|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Styron use to describe his depression?
(a) A deep hole.
(b) A black tempest.
(c) A hole in his heart.
(d) An excruciating pain.
2. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Influenza and depression.
(b) Cancer and depression.
(c) Melancholia and hypochondria.
(d) Lukemia and depression.
3. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(b) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(c) Styron was in the hospital.
(d) Styron had left to go to Paris.
4. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
(a) Because they don't love their families like other people do.
(b) Because of moral weakness and lack of character.
(c) Because depression is so deep they can't see any other way out.
(d) Because they don't have a very strong will to live.
5. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) His father and brother.
(b) Job and Milton.
(c) His son and brother.
(d) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Levi commit suicide?
2. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
3. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
4. How did Lincoln attempt to vanquish death due to his own hand?
5. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)