|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) More medicine.
(b) A controlled environment and more time.
(c) Freedom from other people and their advise.
2. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(b) Newberry Award.
(c) Nobel Peace Prize.
(d) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
3. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
(a) People can't understand what it means.
(b) It is the word for a hole in the ground, which is very demeaning for a name of a major illness.
(c) It has not been heard of before.
(d) It indicates a weak person.
4. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(b) More women than men.
(d) Only five.
5. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
(b) His whole family rejected him.
(c) His wife left him.
(d) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
2. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
3. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
4. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
5. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)