|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That music could restore his soul.
(b) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
(c) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
(d) That he didn't want to life any more.
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
(b) Trouble with his wife.
(c) The loss of several friends to suicide.
(d) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
3. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
(a) His inability to drink alcohol.
(b) His wife's leaving him.
(c) The death of several of his friends.
(d) His chilren all leaving home.
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(b) He can't think clearly anymore.
(c) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
5. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
(a) Alcohol and Halcion.
(b) Cocaine and alcohol.
(c) Heroin and tobacco.
(d) Tobacco and alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
2. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
3. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
4. How does his diary represent his mental state?
5. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)