|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
2. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) A month.
(b) Almost a year.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(b) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
(c) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(d) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(b) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(c) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(c) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(d) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
3. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)