|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From Job to Styron's day, he says artists and writers have been trying to do what?
(a) Cheer up people who suffer from depression with their works.
(b) Explain the blackness of the fantasia of depression.
(c) Build better relationships to overcome depression.
(d) Overcome the effects of depression that overcome artists.
2. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(b) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
(c) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(d) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
3. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
(b) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
(c) To look good to the press.
(d) To get help for his friend, Camus.
4. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) It was played at her funeral.
(b) It spoke of a lady like her.
(c) She played it on the piano.
(d) He had heard her sing it.
5. Styron dates the onset of his deep depression to what event?
(a) The death of several of his friends.
(b) His inability to drink alcohol.
(c) His chilren all leaving home.
(d) His wife's leaving him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
2. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
3. How does Styron mange to avoid the recommended shock treatment?
4. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
5. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)