|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(b) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(c) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
(d) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
3. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(b) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(c) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(d) He didn't know Camus very well.
4. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Newberry Award.
(b) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
(c) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(d) Nobel Peace Prize.
5. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He finds inspiration for another book.
(b) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(c) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(d) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
3. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
5. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)