|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His friendships.
(b) His family.
(c) His lucidity.
(d) His fame.
2. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The situation of the walking wounded.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The position of being in a black fog.
3. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To get help for his friend, Camus.
(b) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
(c) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
(d) To look good to the press.
4. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He loves spending time there.
(b) It feels ominous to him.
(c) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(d) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
5. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He demanded another drug.
(b) He immediately got better.
(c) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(d) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
2. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
3. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
5. What therapies are used in the hospital?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)