|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(b) Levi was such a good writer.
(c) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(d) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
2. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(b) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
3. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It made him feel high.
(b) It helped him relax with his friends.
(c) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(d) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
4. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
(a) He wanted his wife to have money and his insurance would give it to her.
(b) He often mentioned life wasn't worth living.
(c) He had a terminal illness and was in pain.
(d) Black despondency, violent fluctuation of mood, and his deep depression.
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
(b) That they had no other way to escape.
(c) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
(d) That they were always good writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
2. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
3. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
4. When is depression at its worst?
5. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)