|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
(a) To cancer treatment.
(b) To the early evolution of dinosaurs.
(c) To fighting infection before the discovery of penicillin.
(d) To a child's early life.
2. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(b) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(c) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
(d) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
3. What term does Styron give to the loss of a parent or something early in life?
(a) Insurmountable loss.
(b) Lifelong loss.
(c) Dark depression.
(d) Incomplete mourning.
4. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
(b) "Life is no longer worth it."
(c) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
(d) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
5. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) Makes him angry at everyone.
(b) A sadness.
(c) Drowning or suffocation.
(d) An extra sleepy mood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
2. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
5. What is Styron not able to recover?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)