|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(b) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(c) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(d) He doesn't like to travel.
2. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) An extra sleepy mood.
(b) A sadness.
(c) Makes him angry at everyone.
(d) Drowning or suffocation.
3. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
(b) To look good to the press.
(c) To get help for his friend, Camus.
(d) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
4. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) Because of the stigma of suicide.
(b) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
(c) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(d) She was cheating on him.
5. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) A good manual.
(b) The psychiatrist's bible.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) Very inaccurate guide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
2. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
3. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
4. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
5. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)