|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(b) It makes him realize life is too short.
(c) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(d) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
2. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(b) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(c) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(d) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
3. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) The psychiatrist's bible.
(b) A good manual.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) Very inaccurate guide.
4. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
(a) Styron was in the hospital.
(b) Styron refused to come out of his room.
(c) Styron had only smiled in a few pictures but still looked as if in despair.
(d) Styron had left to go to Paris.
5. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
(b) His wife left him.
(c) His whole family rejected him.
(d) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
2. What does he think about art therapy?
3. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
4. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
5. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)