|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) A controlled environment and more time.
(b) Freedom from other people and their advise.
(c) More medicine.
2. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
(a) Styron sunk deeper into a depressive state.
(b) His wife left him.
(c) The suicide of Abbie Hoffman.
(d) His whole family rejected him.
3. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
(a) A month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Almost a year.
(d) Seven weeks.
4. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He demanded another drug.
(b) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(c) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
(d) He immediately got better.
5. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(b) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(c) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
(d) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
2. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
3. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
4. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)