|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) A sadness.
(b) Makes him angry at everyone.
(c) An extra sleepy mood.
(d) Drowning or suffocation.
2. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
(a) Heroin and tobacco.
(b) Tobacco and alcohol.
(c) Alcohol and Halcion.
(d) Cocaine and alcohol.
3. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(b) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(c) It helped him relax with his friends.
(d) It made him feel high.
4. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
(b) To get help for his friend, Camus.
(c) To look good to the press.
(d) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
5. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
(b) He demanded another drug.
(c) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(d) He immediately got better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Levi commit suicide?
2. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
3. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
4. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
5. What is the award Styron receives?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)