|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He demanded another drug.
(b) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(c) He immediately got better.
(d) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
2. When is depression at its worst?
(b) Fake feelings of sadness.
(c) A blue state.
(d) Painful sorrow.
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(b) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
(c) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
(d) Illness leads to depression.
4. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
(a) Beethoven's Fifth.
(b) Halleluah Chorus.
(c) Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.
(d) Chopin's Funeral March.
5. How does his diary represent his mental state?
(a) It contained all his thoughts and feelings.
(b) That when he wanted to destroy it, he was close to his own death.
(c) It was a treatise on mental illness.
(d) It corresponded to his moods as he wrote about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
2. What does this music make him realize?
3. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. What therapies are used in the hospital?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)