|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's avoidance of death due to?
(a) His homage to his mother.
(b) His love for his wife.
(c) The recognition he got from others.
(d) His writings and intellectual endeavors.
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Is life worth living?
(c) Why does life have hardships?
(d) Are all suicides due to weak character?
3. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It helped him relax with his friends.
(b) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(c) It made him feel high.
(d) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
4. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
5. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) Control of his anger.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His check for $25,000.
(d) His mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
3. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
4. To what does Styron compare medical treatment for depression?
5. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)