|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
(b) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(c) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(d) They didn't believe it.
2. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't think clearly anymore.
(b) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(c) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(d) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
(a) Job and Milton.
(b) His father and brother.
(c) Albert Camus and Romain Gary.
(d) His son and brother.
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(b) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(c) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
(d) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That they were always good writers.
(b) That they had no other way to escape.
(c) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
(d) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
3. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
5. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)