|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) Depression never causes suicide.
(b) Man's alienation from other men.
(c) All men suffer from deep depression.
(d) Depression always leads to suicide.
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(a) School teacherrs.
(c) Artistic types.
3. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
(a) His editor asked him to write the memoir.
(b) The number of people reacting positively causes him to think sharing his experiences would be beneficial.
(c) He learned his piece had saved someone's life, so wanted to reach out with more information.
(d) People indicated they just didn't understand depression.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(b) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(c) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
5. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(b) Plan his own suicide.
(c) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(d) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
3. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
4. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)