|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Rich people.
(c) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(d) Poor people.
2. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(b) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(c) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(d) He finds inspiration for another book.
3. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(b) What doctor to see about it.
(c) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(d) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) The title didn't fit the story.
(b) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(c) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(d) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
5. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That it was a form of suicide.
(b) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(c) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(d) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
2. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)