|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He finds inspiration for another book.
(b) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(c) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(d) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(c) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
3. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(b) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(c) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(d) Plan his own suicide.
4. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Poor people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
5. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
(a) The French bidet.
(b) The restaurant he went to after getting his award.
(c) Paris museums.
(d) His memoir.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
2. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
3. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
4. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
5. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)