|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Albert Camus.
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) Abbie Hoffman.
(d) Cino del Duca.
2. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(b) Plan his own suicide.
(c) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(d) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
3. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That life isn't worth living.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
4. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(b) He was a political activist.
(c) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
(d) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(b) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(c) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(d) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
2. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
3. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)