|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Constant weepiness.
(b) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(c) Withdrawal from friendships.
(d) Lack of cohesive thought.
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(b) He thinks they should have won the award.
(c) He thinks they both had depression.
(d) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
3. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) At a democratic convention.
(b) At a writer's conference.
(c) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(d) At the del Duco award dinner.
4. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
(b) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(c) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(d) What medicines are effective?
5. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows he will be okay later.
(d) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
3. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
5. What is the award Styron receives?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)