|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Withdrawal from friendships.
(b) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Constant weepiness.
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He finally felt free again.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
(a) It causes him to stop writing for a while.
(b) It causes him to want to write much better than he felt Camus did.
(c) It leads to his using a narrator on death row to tell the story in "Confessions of Nat Turner."
(d) It gives him some ideas about stories he wants to write.
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) Abbie Hoffman.
(c) Albert Camus.
(d) Cino del Duca.
5. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) More women than men.
(b) Only five.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
2. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
3. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
4. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)