|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) A good manual.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) The psychiatrist's bible.
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Intense anxiety.
(b) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(d) Loss of friendships.
3. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) Because of the stigma of suicide.
(b) She was cheating on him.
(c) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(d) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
4. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(b) He finds inspiration for another book.
(c) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(d) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
5. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Damp weather.
(b) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(d) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
2. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
5. What does Styron think after his flashback?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)