|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is very sleepy.
(b) He is angry at his friends.
(c) He is disoriented.
(d) That he appears not to feel well.
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) At the del Duco award dinner.
(b) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(c) At a writer's conference.
(d) At a democratic convention.
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Withdrawal from friendships.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Constant weepiness.
5. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That they were always good writers.
(b) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
(c) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
(d) That they had no other way to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
2. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
3. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
4. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)