|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He finally felt free again.
(b) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(c) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(d) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
2. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Poor people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
4. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Intense anxiety.
(b) Loss of friendships.
(d) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
5. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(c) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
3. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
4. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
5. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)