|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His fame.
(b) His lucidity.
(c) His family.
(d) His friendships.
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She disappeared and was never found again.
(d) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
3. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Plan his own suicide.
(b) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(c) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
(d) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(b) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(c) Their son was caught between their differences.
(d) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
5. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(c) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)