|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(b) He was a political activist.
(c) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(d) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
2. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(b) School teacherrs.
(d) Artistic types.
3. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Depression always leads to suicide.
(c) Depression never causes suicide.
(d) Man's alienation from other men.
4. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
(a) He is disoriented.
(b) He is angry at his friends.
(c) He is very sleepy.
(d) That he appears not to feel well.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(b) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(c) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(d) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Styron not able to recover?
2. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
3. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
4. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
5. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)