|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point in one's life does Styron say the seeds of depression are planted?
(a) In middle age.
(b) In childhood.
(c) There is not one particular time, it varies.
(d) In early adulthood.
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(b) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
(c) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(d) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
3. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(b) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(c) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
(d) What medicines are effective?
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) Control of his anger.
(b) His check for $25,000.
(c) His mind.
(d) His best friend.
5. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(b) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(c) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
2. Styron calls depression:
3. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
4. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
5. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)