|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
(b) What medicines are effective?
(c) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(d) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
2. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
(a) That secrecy and shame are not the right reaction.
(b) That they were always good writers.
(c) That they had no other way to escape.
(d) That they were weak and couldn't handle pain.
3. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
4. What does Styron say depression is like?
(a) Drowning or suffocation.
(b) An extra sleepy mood.
(c) Makes him angry at everyone.
(d) A sadness.
5. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(d) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
2. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
3. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
5. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)