|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) What doctor to see about it.
(d) Whether to tell his wife or not.
2. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(d) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
3. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
(b) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
(c) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
(d) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
4. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(b) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(c) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(d) He doesn't like to travel.
5. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
(a) Because of the stigma of suicide.
(b) She didn't believe he committed suicide.
(c) She was cheating on him.
(d) Because she couldn't collect his life insurance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
2. What does Styron call the DSM?
3. Who is Styron's literary guide?
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
5. What is Styron not able to recover?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)