|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(b) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(c) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(d) Levi was such a good writer.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That life isn't worth living.
(b) That his friends must be weak.
(c) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
3. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His check for $25,000.
(b) His mind.
(c) His best friend.
(d) Control of his anger.
4. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(b) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(c) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(d) He doesn't like to travel.
5. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
(a) The restaurant he went to after getting his award.
(b) Paris museums.
(c) His memoir.
(d) The French bidet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
2. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
3. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
4. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
5. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)