|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
(b) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(c) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(d) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
2. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He finds inspiration for another book.
(b) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(c) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(d) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
3. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) A good manual.
(b) Very inaccurate guide.
(c) A guide to treatment.
(d) The psychiatrist's bible.
4. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(b) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
(c) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(d) He was a political activist.
5. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(b) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(c) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
(d) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
2. What is Styron not able to recover?
3. What reaction to the op-ed piece causes Styron to decide to write this memoir?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
5. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)