|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(b) Damp weather.
(c) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(d) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She shot herself.
(b) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
(c) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(d) She disappeared and was never found again.
3. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(b) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(c) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(d) He finds inspiration for another book.
4. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
(a) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A couple of years.
5. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(b) He didn't know Camus very well.
(c) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(d) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Styron's companions notice about him?
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
3. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
4. Why would Jarrell's widow not want to admit he committed suicide?
5. According to Styron, what often leads depressed people to commit suicide?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)