|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(b) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
(c) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
(d) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
2. What brings about Styron's flashback at the beginning of the story?
(a) Seeing his two friends.
(b) Winning the award.
(c) Seeing the Hotel.
(d) Visiting the museum.
3. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
(a) Only five.
(c) More women than men.
4. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(b) Levi was such a good writer.
(c) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(d) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
5. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
(a) Introduced him to Lady del Duco in hopes of winning the award in the future.
(b) Testified for him at a trial in Chicago.
(c) Referred him to a psychiatrist in New York.
(d) He never really met Hoffman, so didn't do anything for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
5. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)