|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
(b) Artistic types.
(c) School teacherrs.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That his friends must be weak.
(b) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
(a) He knows his friend will be his friend again.
(b) He is so depressed and lethargic that nothing matters to him.
(c) He knows he will be okay later.
(d) He feels he is justified in getting angry.
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(b) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
(c) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
(d) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
5. What is Styron not able to recover?
(a) His family.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His lucidity.
(d) His fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, how many women have won the Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award?
2. What is the award Styron receives?
3. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
4. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
5. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)