|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(b) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(c) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(d) He finally felt free again.
2. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
(b) He demanded another drug.
(c) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(d) He immediately got better.
3. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(b) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
(c) They didn't believe it.
(d) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
4. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Loss of friendships.
(b) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
(d) Intense anxiety.
5. What does Styron do about his physical disabilities?
(a) He undergoes several thousands of dollars of testing to find out he was physically fine.
(b) Welcomes the possibility that he might die from one of them.
(c) Gets scared he was going to die.
(d) Stops work and stays at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
2. What does Styron want us to understand about those who commit suicide?
3. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
4. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
5. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)