|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
(a) That all depressed people commit suicide.
(b) The idea that there is one particular cause.
(c) That suicide is a painless way to go.
(d) That people only have to "buck up."
2. What does Styron say would cause many depression-related suicides?
(a) Lack of moral strength by the depressed person.
(b) Lack of awareness by others about the intensity of the pain.
(c) Lack of medicines to treat depression.
(d) Lack of psychiatric treatment protocols.
3. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
(a) His ability to stay awake during the day.
(b) His ability to sleep and lack of dreaming.
(c) His agility and interest in sports.
(d) His sexual drive.
4. Who does Styron compare his psychiatrist to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His friend, Gary.
(c) The parish priest in "Madame Bovary."
(d) A quack.
5. What does Styron say the award he received should have done for him?
(a) Pay all his bills.
(b) Restore his ego.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make him new friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
2. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
3. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
5. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)