|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
(b) He finally felt free again.
(c) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(d) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
2. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
(a) Mourning for loss.
(b) A weak psyche.
(c) A brain storm.
(d) A blue funk.
3. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
(a) Why would a person who has everything still be depressed?
(b) What medicines are effective?
(c) Why doesn't the person just cheer up and get over it?
(d) Why do some who suffered commit suicide while others don't?
4. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
(b) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(c) He finds inspiration for another book.
(d) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
5. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(b) Illness leads to depression.
(c) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
(d) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
2. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
3. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
4. What does Styron think after his flashback?
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)