|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is depression at its worst?
(b) Fake feelings of sadness.
(c) Painful sorrow.
(d) A blue state.
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
(b) The loss of several friends to suicide.
(c) Trouble with his wife.
(d) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
3. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
(a) An inability to be still, constantly moving.
(b) Argumentative with family and friends.
(c) Incessant talking.
(d) Deep, dark imaginings.
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. What does Styron do to try and stop the hopeless feelings?
(a) Take long walks in the woods.
(b) Get his doctor to give him more medicine.
(c) Clung to familiar items like glasses and pens.
(d) Drink huge amounts of alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
2. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
3. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
4. Who is Styron's literary guide?
5. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)