|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) At a democratic convention.
(b) At the del Duco award dinner.
(c) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(d) At a writer's conference.
2. After Primo Levi's suicide, what causes Styron to question the common view that those who commit suicide are weak and inept?
(a) Levi had survived the Auschwitz and cared for his paralyzed mother.
(b) Levi worked out all the time and was very strong.
(c) Levi was involved in so many good causes.
(d) Levi was such a good writer.
3. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(b) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(c) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(d) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
4. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(b) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
(c) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(d) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
5. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
(b) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(c) His wife cheated on him.
(d) His friends deserted him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
2. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
3. How did Levi commit suicide?
4. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
5. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)