|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Levi's suicide cause Styron to do?
(a) Plan his own suicide.
(b) Write an op-ed piece to the NY Times on depression, discounting the shame most felt about it.
(c) Denounce Levi as his friend.
(d) Condemn Levi for his cowardice.
2. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(b) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(c) The title didn't fit the story.
(d) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
3. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(b) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(c) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(d) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
4. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
(a) Halcion and Ativan.
(b) Halcion and Ibuprofen.
(c) Prozac and Ativan.
(d) Penicillin and Halcion.
5. According to Styron, what is the touchstone of depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
2. What does Styron think after his flashback?
3. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
4. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
5. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)