|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He loves spending time there.
(b) It feels ominous to him.
(c) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(d) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
2. What characteristic of depression make Styron's memoir limited in benefit?
(a) Its complexity made the memoir about only one person limited.
(b) He had to be hospitalized so couldn't finish the memoir in the manner he wanted.
(c) He couldn't write so well because of the immobility of depression.
(d) He couldn't give good advice because the depression made him suicidal.
3. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Run away from his wife and home.
(b) Try to kill himself.
(c) Go to bed for hours every day.
(d) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
4. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
(b) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
(c) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(d) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
5. Why does Styron say he was betrayed the summer before he was hospitalized?
(a) His doctor treated him with the wrong drug.
(b) His friends deserted him.
(c) His wife cheated on him.
(d) He could not longer drink any alcohol at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, what is the greatest fallacy about suicide?
2. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
3. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
4. What does Styron say depression is like?
5. Though Styron admits all professions are susceptible to depression, which profession is the most susceptible?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)