|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(b) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(c) That he is recovering.
(d) That he needs to get a handle on it.
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Is life worth living?
(c) Why does life have hardships?
(d) Are all suicides due to weak character?
3. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) People younger than their teens.
(b) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(c) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(d) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
4. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(b) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(c) He was a political activist.
(d) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
5. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
(a) His children.
(b) His friend, Gary.
(c) His wife, Rose.
(d) His psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
2. How long does Stryon say it will be before he returns to Paris?
3. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
4. What percentage of artistic types who suffer from depression die from suicide?
5. What two people does Styron think of while leaving Paris?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)