|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Styron first realize his illness could lead to his death?
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That it was a form of suicide.
(b) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(c) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(d) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
3. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(b) He doesn't like to travel.
(c) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(d) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
4. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(b) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(c) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
(d) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
5. What is the old term for depression?
(c) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
2. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
3. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
4. What pressing question does Styron have about the course of depression?
5. What happens to Styron's speech as he becomes more depressed?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)