|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) Slowly in increments.
(b) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
(c) He really didn't know how it happened.
(d) It hit him suddenly one night.
2. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(b) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
3. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(b) Damp weather.
(c) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
(a) His check for $25,000.
(b) Control of his anger.
(c) His mind.
(d) His best friend.
5. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
(b) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(c) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
(d) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
2. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
3. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
4. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
5. What is the second stage of psychological development in depression?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)