|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
(b) Excessive sleepiness.
(c) Lack of sexual interest.
(d) Extreme joy.
2. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
3. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Damp weather.
(c) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(d) Screaming until he was hoarse.
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
(b) He thinks they should have won the award.
(c) He thinks they both had depression.
(d) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
5. What happens to Styron during his museum visit in Paris?
(a) He complains to his wife about the museum the whole time.
(b) He runs out and leaves the group he was with.
(c) He finds inspiration for another book.
(d) He begins to feel the late evening lethargy that always descends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what event causes Styron to more fully explore the relationship between depression and suicide?
2. What city is Styron in at the beginning of the memoir?
3. What did Styron do for Hoffman regarding a political demonstration led by Hoffman?
4. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)