|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he needs to get a handle on it.
(b) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(c) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(d) That he is recovering.
2. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
(a) That only weak people commit suicide.
(b) That people who commit suicide don't love their families.
(c) That people who commit suicide are justified in doing it.
(d) Most of the time the cause is not one incident, but overwhelming depression.
3. How old was Styron when he published his first novel?
4. Why is Styron so sad about Hoffman's suicide?
(a) He was not really depressed, so why did he commit suicide?
(b) He was such a good writer.
(c) He was so young and vital.
(d) He was so valuable to mankind.
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(b) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(c) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(d) People younger than their teens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
2. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
3. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
4. Where does Styron spend his summers?
5. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)