|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(b) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
2. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(b) He finally felt free again.
(c) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(d) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
3. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
(a) Give most to charity but save a small portion for a personal matter.
(b) Retire early and write.
(c) Give it all to charity.
(d) Pay off all old debts so he could concentrate on writing.
4. What does Styron call the DSM?
(a) The psychiatrist's bible.
(b) A guide to treatment.
(c) A good manual.
(d) Very inaccurate guide.
5. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
(a) Cocaine and alcohol.
(b) Alcohol and Halcion.
(c) Heroin and tobacco.
(d) Tobacco and alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
3. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
5. Why are late afternoons so distressing to Styron?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)