|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During one sleepless episode, what does Styron realize about his illness?
(a) That he is a very weak person to let it rule his life.
(b) That he is recovering.
(c) It will take his life if allowed to continue.
(d) That he needs to get a handle on it.
2. What does the depression and sense of hopelessness cause Styron to do?
(a) Go to bed for hours every day.
(b) Write even more in an attempt to understand it.
(c) Try to kill himself.
(d) Run away from his wife and home.
3. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
(a) Many people thought Styron was weak.
(b) Many felt he didn't deserve the del Duco award.
(c) Many felt he was justified in feeling depressed.
(d) Many suffering from depression were suddenly willing to come forward and admit it.
4. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
(a) Family trouble, job loss, and financial worries.
(b) Anger, fear, and desolation.
(c) Chemicals in the brain, behavior, and genetics.
(d) Early loss, weak character, and no support.
5. How does Styron respond to the experimental approach?
(a) He was in mental anguish, wanting immediate relief.
(b) He immediately got better.
(c) He demanded another drug.
(d) He didn't notice anything, but was hopeful so did better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the award Styron receives?
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
3. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
4. According to Styron, what is between Gaelic and Americana?
5. What two substances contribute to Styron's depression?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)