|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the award Styron receives?
(a) Newberry Award.
(b) Prix Mondial Cino del Duca award.
(c) Nobel Peace Prize.
(d) He didn't receive one, he was giving one.
2. What did Styron's friend, Abbie Hoffman, do professionally?
(a) He was a fellow writer and philosopher.
(b) He was Styron's psychiatrist.
(c) He was a family member so depressed that he had no profession.
(d) He was a political activist.
3. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(b) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(c) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(d) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
4. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) He really didn't know how it happened.
(b) Slowly in increments.
(c) It hit him suddenly one night.
(d) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
5. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(b) It helped him relax with his friends.
(c) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(d) It made him feel high.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
2. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
3. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
4. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
5. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)