|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new approach does Styron's psychiatrist use?
(a) Disattachment therapy.
(b) DSM recommendations.
(d) Pharmacological, without physical and mental support.
2. For Styron, what is the most devastating loss of physical functions?
(a) His ability to sleep and lack of dreaming.
(b) His ability to stay awake during the day.
(c) His sexual drive.
(d) His agility and interest in sports.
3. How did Levi's friends and admirers react to his suicide?
(a) They were devastated and grieved over it.
(b) They didn't believe it.
(c) They were mystified and believed him to be weak.
(d) They tried to ignore him and his work after that.
4. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(b) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(c) He doesn't like to travel.
(d) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
5. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
(a) They get better even though the medicines don't work.
(b) Many of them commit suicide.
(c) It keeps them in a state of anxiety and hopelessness.
(d) They give up and do something different.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
2. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
3. Where does Styron spend his summers?
4. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
5. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)