|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(b) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
(c) What doctor to see about it.
(d) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
2. What does Styron say is the most universal symptom of depression?
(a) Intense anxiety.
(b) Loss of friendships.
(c) Self-hatred or lack of self-esteem.
3. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(b) It had no effect on his mood.
(c) It is an upper, but depressed him.
(d) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
4. What causes Styron to lose his voice in Paris?
(a) Severe depression and resulting lethargy.
(b) Screaming until he was hoarse.
(d) Damp weather.
5. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(b) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(c) The title didn't fit the story.
(d) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. How old was Levi when he committed his suicide?
4. What is the third stage of psychological development in depression?
5. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)