|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize life is too short.
(b) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(c) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(d) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
2. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(b) It helped him relax with his friends.
(c) It made him feel high.
(d) It kept him from catching illnesses.
3. What effect does the failure of medicines to act quickly have on the depressed person?
(a) It keeps them in a state of anxiety and hopelessness.
(b) They get better even though the medicines don't work.
(c) Many of them commit suicide.
(d) They give up and do something different.
4. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
(b) He loves spending time there.
(c) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(d) It feels ominous to him.
5. How did Levi commit suicide?
(a) Stepped in front of a moving car.
(b) Hung himself.
(c) Hurled himself down a flight of stairs.
(d) Took an overdose of pills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
2. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
3. In addition to anxiety, what other characteristic of depression becomes manifest?
4. According to Styron, what do people closest to those who commit suicide often do?
5. Why did Styron's publisher have to reschedule a photo session?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)