|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron consult with Dr. Gold, who he didn't feel could really help him?
(a) To satisfy his wife, who demanded he get treatment.
(b) To receive the medicines he thought would help him.
(c) To get help for his friend, Camus.
(d) To look good to the press.
2. What is unusual about Styron's visit to Paris?
(a) He doesn't eat anything while he was there.
(b) He doesn't visit anything but the museum.
(c) The bathrooms have bidets in them.
(d) He refuses to go to a luncheon in his honor.
3. What does Styron think after his flashback?
(a) That he didn't like visiting Paris.
(b) That his life has been great.
(c) That he has come full circle.
(d) That he did have some good times in the past.
4. What does Styron think of these two people, who were close literary friends?
(a) He thinks they both had depression.
(b) He doesn't think their writing was very good.
(c) He thinks they should have won the award.
(d) He thinks they should move to America where they would be more recognized.
5. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
(a) Lennie from "Of Mice and Men."
(b) Emma Bovary from "Madame Bovary."
(c) Rhett Butler from "Gone With the Wind."
(d) Captain Ahab from "Moby Dick."
Short Answer Questions
1. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
2. What effect does Styron's op-ed piece have on the general public?
3. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
4. What does Styron lose at the luncheon in Paris?
5. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)