|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Styron spend his summers?
(a) In Paris.
(b) On his farm in Connecticut.
(c) In Florida.
(d) At Martha's Vineyard.
2. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(b) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
(c) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(d) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
3. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Cancer and depression.
(b) Influenza and depression.
(c) Melancholia and hypochondria.
(d) Lukemia and depression.
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(b) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
(c) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(d) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
5. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The position of being in a black fog.
(c) The situation of the walking wounded.
(d) A sure suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
2. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
3. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
4. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
5. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)