|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
(d) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
2. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(d) She disappeared and was never found again.
3. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He tries to shoot them.
(b) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
4. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
(b) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
(c) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
(d) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(b) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) He can't talk to his wife any more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
2. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
3. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
4. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
5. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)