|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) They don't know he was that bad.
(b) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
(c) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
(d) They don't think it would help him.
2. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
(a) He doesn't want to see any trace, such as ashes.
(b) It better represents the annihilation of a loathful self, and deserves to be thrown in the garbage as well.
(c) He is afraid of fire, so couldn't bring himself to burn the diary.
(d) He doesn't want to start a fire and let his friends know what he was doing.
3. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
(b) He tries to shoot them.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Paradise Lost."
(b) "The Long Day."
(c) "The Stranger."
(d) "Reflections of Life."
5. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
(b) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
(c) "Life is no longer worth it."
(d) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
3. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
4. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
5. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)