|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
(a) His hopelessness in the face of depression.
(b) His path through depression.
(c) His self-esteem and self-worth.
(d) His writing goals.
2. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He tries to shoot them.
(b) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
3. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(d) He is catatonic and does not speak.
4. What note does Styron want to copy for his goodbye letter?
(a) "This is the end. Don't mourn."
(b) "Life is no longer worth it."
(c) "I am sorry for any pain I cause. My pain is greater."
(d) "No more words; an act. I'll never write again."
5. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(b) Rich people.
(c) Poor people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
2. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
4. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
5. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)