|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's diary a symbol of?
(a) His hopelessness in the face of depression.
(b) His path through depression.
(c) His self-esteem and self-worth.
(d) His writing goals.
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That it was a form of suicide.
(b) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(c) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(d) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
3. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
(a) Halleluah Chorus.
(b) Chopin's Funeral March.
(c) Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.
(d) Beethoven's Fifth.
4. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
(a) Its pervasiveness.
(b) Its unrelenting nature.
(c) Its deep intensity.
(d) The inability of the depressed person to absorb pain beyond predictable periods of time.
5. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(b) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(c) That his friends must be weak.
(d) That life isn't worth living.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. Who is Styron's literary guide?
4. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
5. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)