|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(b) People younger than their teens.
(c) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(d) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
2. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(b) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(c) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(d) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Madness breeds madness."
(b) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(c) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(d) "Man's madness is his downfall."
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That it was a form of suicide.
(b) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(c) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(d) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
5. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Is life worth living?
(b) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(c) Why does life have hardships?
(d) Does man depend on other men?
Short Answer Questions
1. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
2. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
3. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
5. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)