|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Lukemia and depression.
(b) Melancholia and hypochondria.
(c) Influenza and depression.
(d) Cancer and depression.
2. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(b) He stopped writing altogether.
(c) His goodbye letter.
(d) Any upbeat writing.
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Rich people.
(d) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
4. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) People younger than their teens.
(b) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(c) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(d) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
5. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He tries to shoot them.
(b) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
2. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
3. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
4. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
5. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)