|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
(a) Chopin's Funeral March.
(b) Beethoven's Fifth.
(c) Halleluah Chorus.
(d) Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.
2. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Why does life have hardships?
(c) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(d) Is life worth living?
3. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(b) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(c) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(d) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
4. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(b) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(c) People younger than their teens.
(d) Mothers who enjoy their role.
5. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
(a) He begins to write much faster and more productively.
(b) His writing doesn't make sense.
(c) It eventually becomes non-existent.
(d) He gets published much easier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
2. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
3. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
5. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)