|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(b) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(c) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
(d) He is catatonic and does not speak.
2. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
(a) Shaky hands and weak, quiet voice.
(b) Constant weepiness.
(c) Lack of cohesive thought.
(d) Withdrawal from friendships.
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
(a) Depressed people are clumsy and suffer several injuries.
(b) Depressed persons have more illnesses.
(c) Illness leads to depression.
(d) The mind can better accept that there is a physical cause than a mental one.
4. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He was going to choose a painless method.
(b) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
(c) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
(d) It was fully deserved.
5. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) All men suffer from deep depression.
(b) Man's alienation from other men.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) Depression never causes suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
2. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
3. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
4. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
5. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)