|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(c) Depression hurts worse.
(d) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
2. According to Styron, why is the word depression so hard for people to accept?
(a) It is the word for a hole in the ground, which is very demeaning for a name of a major illness.
(b) It has not been heard of before.
(c) People can't understand what it means.
(d) It indicates a weak person.
3. What bothers Styron about his meeting with Gary's estranged wife?
(a) That he didn't understand her deep depression and what it meant.
(b) That Gary was letting his estranged wife live with him.
(c) Gary's wife wasn't very involved with her son.
(d) Their son was caught between their differences.
4. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(b) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(c) He can't think clearly anymore.
(d) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
5. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(b) Dr. Adkins.
(c) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. Gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
3. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
4. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
5. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)