|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
(a) He begins to write much faster and more productively.
(b) He gets published much easier.
(c) It eventually becomes non-existent.
(d) His writing doesn't make sense.
2. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(b) That it was a form of suicide.
(c) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(d) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
3. What is the old term for depression?
(c) Mental deficit.
(d) Manic depressive.
4. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Cancer and depression.
(b) Lukemia and depression.
(c) Influenza and depression.
(d) Melancholia and hypochondria.
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "Paradise Lost."
(b) "Reflections of Life."
(c) "The Stranger."
(d) "The Long Day."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
2. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
3. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
4. When is depression at its worst?
5. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)