|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
(a) That his friend didn't have any choice about who to ride with.
(b) That he probably didn't know the driver was so reckless.
(c) That his friend didn't want to embarrass his friend by refusing a ride.
(d) That it was a form of suicide.
2. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(b) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(c) He didn't know Camus very well.
(d) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
3. Sir Walter Scott and the Brontes linked what two illnesses interchangeably?
(a) Lukemia and depression.
(b) Cancer and depression.
(c) Influenza and depression.
(d) Melancholia and hypochondria.
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(b) "Madness breeds madness."
(c) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(d) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
5. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Cino del Duco
(b) Romain Gary.
(c) Rose Styron.
(d) William Styron.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
2. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
3. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
4. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
5. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)