|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is depression at its worst?
(a) Painful sorrow.
(c) Fake feelings of sadness.
(d) A blue state.
2. Why is it hard for Styron to recognize depression in his friend, Gary?
(a) Because Gary was so good at hiding his feelings.
(b) Because he didn't know what depression looked like.
(c) Because he rarely talked to Gary.
(d) Because Gary always had a melancholy typical of Europeans.
3. What piece of music moves Styron to his breakthrough and hospitalization?
(a) Halleluah Chorus.
(b) Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.
(c) Beethoven's Fifth.
(d) Chopin's Funeral March.
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(b) That life isn't worth living.
(c) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(d) That his friends must be weak.
5. What does Gary confess to Styron about Camus's depression?
(a) He had tried to convince Camus to get help.
(b) That Gary saw the same depression in himself, though it was controlled.
(c) He knew Camus was going to commit suicide and did nothing about it.
(d) He didn't believe Camus really suffered from depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
2. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
3. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
4. Why does he throw his diary in the garbage instead of burning it?
5. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)