|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Styron's reaction to being admitted to the hospital?
(a) He feels safe for the first time since he became depressed.
(b) He is afraid his wife will leave him.
(c) He is depressed about it.
(d) He is afraid his friends will desert him.
2. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
(a) He begins to suffer nausea when drinking alcohol, which he had depended upon.
(b) Being isolated in Connecticut in the winter.
(c) Trouble with his wife.
(d) The loss of several friends to suicide.
3. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(c) Dr. Adkins.
(d) Dr. Gold.
4. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(b) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(c) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
5. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
(b) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(c) The title didn't fit the story.
(d) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clues does Gary reveal that Styron later learns was probably signs of deep depression?
2. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
4. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
5. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)