|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
(a) The circadian cycle gives him moments of brief respite from the deep depression, giving clarity of thought.
(b) He begins to cry incessantly and realizes he is depressed.
(c) He can't talk to his wife any more.
(d) He can't think clearly anymore.
2. According to Styron, who wrote about depression and seemed to really understand it?
3. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
(a) He brags through the whole dinner party about his accomplishments.
(b) He cries throughout the dinner because of his depression.
(c) He is catatonic and does not speak.
(d) He gets angry and speaks hatefully to them.
4. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
(a) Terror and fascination.
(b) Hopelessness and despair.
(c) Despondency and fear.
(d) Love for his wife and hopelessness for himself.
5. What does this music make him realize?
(a) That his suicide would hurt his wife too much.
(b) That he didn't want to life any more.
(c) That he couldn't leave all the pleasant memories that the house around him held.
(d) That music could restore his soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old term for depression?
2. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
3. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
4. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
5. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)