|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
(a) More medicine.
(b) A controlled environment and more time.
(d) Freedom from other people and their advise.
2. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Gold.
(b) Dr. Adkins.
(c) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(d) An unnamed psychiatrist.
3. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He was going to choose a painless method.
(b) It was fully deserved.
(c) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
(d) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
4. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) He really didn't know how it happened.
(b) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
(c) It hit him suddenly one night.
(d) Slowly in increments.
5. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
(a) Mourning for loss.
(b) A blue funk.
(c) A brain storm.
(d) A weak psyche.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
2. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
4. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
5. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)