|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
(a) Cino del Duco
(b) Rose Styron.
(c) William Styron.
(d) Romain Gary.
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist recommend to him about the hospital?
(a) To go to a hospital in Paris so no one would know.
(b) To avoid the hospital at all costs.
(c) To go to the hospital for treatment.
(d) To plan on staying for a year in the hospital.
3. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(b) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
(c) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(d) "Madness breeds madness."
4. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(b) Dr. Adkins.
(c) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. Gold.
5. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
(b) They don't think it would help him.
(c) They don't know he was that bad.
(d) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
3. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
4. At the dinner party, how does Styron react to the four friends?
5. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)