|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves Paris.
(b) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
(c) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(d) Camus dies in a car accident.
2. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
(a) He stopped writing altogether.
(b) Poetry, due to its emotional nature.
(c) Any upbeat writing.
(d) His goodbye letter.
3. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(b) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
(c) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(d) He didn't know Camus very well.
4. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That his friends must be weak.
(b) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
(c) That life isn't worth living.
(d) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
5. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
(a) It lightened his mood for a good amount of time.
(b) It had no effect on his mood.
(c) It is a depressant, but didn't depress him.
(d) It is an upper, but depressed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
2. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
3. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
4. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
5. What does Styron realize in Paris that helps him understand what is happening to him?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)