|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three brand-name items does Styron use to destroy his diary?
(a) Viva towels, Scotch tape, and Post Raisin Bran cereal box.
(b) Diamond matches, Kingsford Charcoal lighter, and Viva towels.
(c) None, just throws it away in the garbage.
(d) Cheez-its box, 3M tape, and Brawny towels.
2. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
(a) He wraps it and throws it in the garbage.
(b) He hides it from his friends and wife.
(c) He reads portions of it to his friends.
(d) He gives it to a friend to publish.
3. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
(a) Its pervasiveness.
(b) Its unrelenting nature.
(c) The inability of the depressed person to absorb pain beyond predictable periods of time.
(d) Its deep intensity.
4. When is depression at its worst?
(a) Fake feelings of sadness.
(b) A blue state.
(c) Painful sorrow.
5. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(b) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
(c) People younger than their teens.
(d) Mothers who enjoy their role.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges a meeting between Albert Camus and Styron?
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
3. Where does Styron spend his summers?
4. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
5. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)