|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right before the onset of his depression, Styron begins to suffer from what?
(a) Extreme joy.
(c) Lack of sexual interest.
(d) Excessive sleepiness.
2. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(b) Puts him in the hospital.
(c) Tells him he was never going to recover.
(d) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
3. What is the old term for depression?
(a) Manic depressive.
(b) Mental deficit.
4. What does Styron call the condition of the person suffering unrelenting depression?
(a) Potentially criminal people.
(b) The position of being in a black fog.
(c) A sure suicide.
(d) The situation of the walking wounded.
5. In the depth of his depression in Paris, what does Styron realize he would have to decide?
(a) Whether to tell his wife or not.
(b) What doctor to see about it.
(c) The philosophical question of whether life is worth living or not.
(d) Whether to admit it to the press or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Styron feels alone, who is always with him?
2. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
3. What is the hardest piece of writing Styron attempted during his depression?
4. How does Camus's essay about a prisoner on death row impact Styron's writing?
5. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)