|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
(a) Man's alienation from other men.
(b) Depression never causes suicide.
(c) Depression always leads to suicide.
(d) All men suffer from deep depression.
2. What happens to persons in physical pain that is not experienced with mental pain?
(a) A superhuman ability to endure physical pain for a time.
(b) Depression hurts worse.
(c) Mental pain doesn't disable one as much as physical pain.
(d) Ones in physical pain receive medicine but don't get better.
3. Who is Styron's literary guide?
(a) Romain Gary.
(b) Cino del Duca.
(c) Albert Camus.
(d) Abbie Hoffman.
4. What happens to Styron's writing as he descends into depression?
(a) It eventually becomes non-existent.
(b) His writing doesn't make sense.
(c) He gets published much easier.
(d) He begins to write much faster and more productively.
5. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
(a) Puts him in the hospital.
(b) Tells him to leave his wife if he wanted to get better.
(c) Tells him he would have to wait ten days before starting his new medicine, and then it would take 6-8 weeks to work.
(d) Tells him he was never going to recover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styron say is absent in depression that causes it to be so difficult to endure?
2. What does Styron say about alcohol's mood-altering characteristics?
3. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
4. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
5. What does Styron believe he needs to get well that can be provided by the hospital?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)