|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
(a) Camus leaves on his honeymoon.
(b) Camus dies in a car accident.
(c) Camus leaves Paris.
(d) Camus gets upset at Styron for his moods.
2. What does the suicide of another of Styron's friends lead him to believe?
(a) That his friends must be weak.
(b) That life isn't worth living.
(c) That he would soon have to face the fact that his own suicide is his only way out.
(d) That he isn't a very good friend to others since he can't help them.
3. What reaction does Styron have to a flock of Canadian geese?
(a) He is frozen in anxiety at the sight of them.
(b) They temporarily restore his good feelings.
(c) He thinks they are graceful.
(d) He tries to shoot them.
4. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adkins.
(b) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(c) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. Gold.
5. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
(a) That the lawyer/narrator would want to kill himself.
(b) The title didn't fit the story.
(c) It was a good narrative of what a depressed person experiences.
(d) It was written so brilliantly though Camus was depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
2. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
3. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
4. What does Styron believe about a depressed colleague's decision to ride with a reckless driver?
5. Where does Styron spend his summers?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)