|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Styron think of his mother as he listens to the music?
(a) He had heard her sing it.
(b) She played it on the piano.
(c) It spoke of a lady like her.
(d) It was played at her funeral.
2. How does Styron's body feel in the beginning of his depression?
(a) Energetic, strong, capable, and lively.
(b) Numb, frail, disjointed, and clumsy.
(c) Heavy, lethargic, awkward, and bloated.
(d) Manic, hyper, shaky, and strange.
3. In what way does Styron's depression come upon him?
(a) He really didn't know how it happened.
(b) It hit him suddenly one night.
(c) A slight sadness intensified rapidly over time.
(d) Slowly in increments.
4. How does Styron feel about his Connecticut farmhouse?
(a) He thinks it needed lots of work.
(b) He hates the house, preferring Martha's Vineyard.
(c) He loves spending time there.
(d) It feels ominous to him.
5. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
(a) He wraps it and throws it in the garbage.
(b) He hides it from his friends and wife.
(c) He gives it to a friend to publish.
(d) He reads portions of it to his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts Styron's downward spiral into depression?
2. What drugs does Styron's doctor give him that are NOT recommended for people with depression?
3. What is the old term for depression?
4. What is a common occurrence in people planning suicide?
5. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)