|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adkins.
(b) Dr. Gold.
(c) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. Adolf Meier.
2. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
(a) It makes him realize depression was a personal thing.
(b) It makes him realize mankind's responsibility for the larger world.
(c) It makes him realize depression could be overcome if the person just cheered himself up.
(d) It makes him realize life is too short.
3. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
(b) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(c) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(d) He doesn't like to travel.
4. What does Gary reveal to Styron about the effect the death of his ex-wife had on him?
(a) He was afraid he would be suspected in her death.
(b) He finally felt free again.
(c) He began to suffer greatly from deep depression.
(d) He was afraid she had committed suicide.
5. What Camus novel has a profound impact on Styron?
(a) "The Long Day."
(b) "The Stranger."
(c) "Paradise Lost."
(d) "Reflections of Life."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this music make him realize?
2. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
3. How does his diary represent his mental state?
4. What aspect of depression parallels the threshold of pain?
5. During the dinner party, what does Styron do with his diary?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)