|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Styron indicate he was planning to die?
(a) He dresses nicely for the person who will find him.
(b) He gathers a knife and some towels.
(c) He sends his wife away for a time so he would be alone.
(d) He revises his will and tries to write a goodbye letter.
2. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
(a) That only weak people commit suicide.
(b) Most of the time the cause is not one incident, but overwhelming depression.
(c) That people who commit suicide don't love their families.
(d) That people who commit suicide are justified in doing it.
3. What happens to Gary's ex-wife?
(a) She was killed by someone, probably Gary himself.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She disappeared and was never found again.
(d) She took an overdose of pills and her body was found in a car after several days.
4. Why doesn't Styron recognize Camus's depression?
(a) He didn't know Camus very well.
(b) He had never experienced depression himself, so had no real clue.
(c) He didn't believe in depression at the time.
(d) Camus hid it very well because he was embarrassed by it.
5. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
(a) He was going to choose a painless method.
(b) Melodramatic, one part of him the actor, and one part of him the audience.
(c) He knew he would hurt his wife, but had to do it.
(d) It was fully deserved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
2. What is the term Styron uses to better describe what is happening to a person with depression?
3. What puzzles Styron about Camus's book, "The Fall"?
4. What two feelings does Styron experience as he planned his suicide?
5. Why does Styron say that physical symptoms accompany depression?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)