|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Ty shoot Shade?
2. What is Eel's Dark Gift?
3. How does Ty locate Shade inside the house?
4. From whom did Gemma steal an ID card?
5. How does Ty comfort Gemma when Shade leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ty stop Doc from shooting Shade a second time?
2. What does Ty's mother say while talking to Mrs. Spinner?
3. What has Doc been planning for Ty?
4. What does Ty see on the walls of some of the bunks in the prison?
5. What does the term Gem of the Sea mean?
6. What does Shade say about children living under the sea?
7. What news do Ty's parents have for him when he leaves the hospital?
8. How does Ty save all the settlers when the wall cracks open?
9. How does Gemma almost die at the end of the book?
10. What does Gemma do when Doc is explaining his plans for Ty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)