|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grimes's job?
2. What are neighbors restocking the Peavey's farm with?
3. What does Akai mean?
4. What takes Ty home from the prison?
5. What does Ty do when the Specter throws something over Ty's ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doc say to Ty's parents after the attack by Shade?
2. What does Doc say that ruins all of Gemma's plans and hopes?
3. What does Ty see on the walls of some of the bunks in the prison?
4. What is Ty's Dark Gift?
5. What does Shade say about children living under the sea?
6. How does Ty get to Gemma faster when Doc escapes with her?
7. What does Gemma say about Ty's looks, and how does this make him feel?
8. What does Gemma ask of Ty as Jibby takes her away?
9. How does Gemma almost die at the end of the book?
10. How does Shade defend the actions of his gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Dark Gifts, and how did they shape this plot?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Topsiders view life under the sea, and how accurate were these ideas?
Essay Topic 3
How did this book show parallels to western society, and how did this affect the tone of the plot?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)