|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gemma plan to run away again?
2. From whom did Gemma steal an ID card?
3. What is Gemma's brother's name?
4. What is Ty told to protect when something appears above the house?
5. What favor does Ty ask of Shade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the prisoners forced to do in the subsea prison?
2. What does Gemma do when Doc is explaining his plans for Ty?
3. What does Jibby do at the Peavey's house that makes Ty jealous?
4. Why is Gemma happy to hear that Ty doesn't understand why people are interested in him?
5. What does Mrs. Spinner say about Gemma's brother?
6. What does Doc say that ruins all of Gemma's plans and hopes?
7. How does Ty describe the task given to the people in the subsea prison?
8. What is so ironic about Doc being the villain of the book?
9. How does Ty get to Gemma faster when Doc escapes with her?
10. What does Ty's mother say while talking to Mrs. Spinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Dark Gifts, and how did they shape this plot?
Essay Topic 2
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Topsiders view life under the sea, and how accurate were these ideas?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)