|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ty tell Gemma to go when something appears above the house?
2. What does Raj leave the Peavey's house to do?
3. Who saves Gemma's life?
4. How does Eel destroy the viewphone?
5. What is Ms. Spinner's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ty's Dark Gift?
2. What were the prisoners forced to do in the subsea prison?
3. How does Ty stop Doc from shooting Shade a second time?
4. What does Mrs. Spinner say about Gemma's brother?
5. What does Gemma ask of Ty as Jibby takes her away?
6. How does Ty save all the settlers when the wall cracks open?
7. How does Gemma almost die at the end of the book?
8. How does Zoe protect Ty?
9. What caused Doc to be sent subsea?
10. What does the term Gem of the Sea mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this book when the trial for Shade was presented. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how did it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Zoe was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)