|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ty run into with his Mantaboard?
2. Who will have to return to the surface until the settlers complete their task?
3. Where does Gemma plan to stay while under the ocean?
4. What work will have to stop until the settlers complete their task?
5. What does Ty do when the Specter is seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shade get upset with Ty?
2. What does Gemma ask of Ty as Jibby takes her away?
3. What does Ty's mother say while talking to Mrs. Spinner?
4. What is Ty doing at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the Trade Center used for?
6. What has Doc been planning for Ty?
7. What does the term Gem of the Sea mean?
8. What is so strange about the setting of this book?
9. What does Gemma say about Ty's looks, and how does this make him feel?
10. What does Mrs. Spinner say about Gemma's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who was the main villain in this book? Why was this so surprising?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances? How are the characters affected in the scenes?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)