|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ty not tell his parents when he gets home from following Shade?
2. For whom is Gemma looking?
3. What is the name of Hewitt's mother?
4. Where does Ty live?
5. How did Ty get his Dark Gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Eel and Pretty want to know from Ty?
2. Why does Gemma want Ty to take her to a saloon?
3. How does Gemma say she validates taking money when she left?
4. What advice does Jibby give Ty and Gemma?
5. What does Ty do when he first gets to Hewitt's parent's homestead?
6. What does Ty jokingly say is Zoe's Dark Gift?
7. How are the Topsider children educated?
8. How does Gemma feel about the idea of life under the sea, and why?
9. What is so strange about the setting of this book?
10. What surprise does Ty find as he is leaving the saloon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What are Dark Gifts, and how did they shape this plot?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)