|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ty live?
2. What work will have to stop until the settlers complete their task?
3. What is the name of Hewitt's father?
4. Why does Ty say he has come to the meeting?
5. What does Shurl do to celebrate when Lars recovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ty tries to follow the gang leader?
2. What happens after Gemma explains to Ty why she is looking for her brother?
3. What is so strange about the setting of this book?
4. What do Eel and Pretty want to know from Ty?
5. Why does Ty decide to try and follow the gang leader?
6. How does Ty meet Gemma?
7. How are the Topsider children educated?
8. What advice does Jibby give Ty and Gemma?
9. What does Gemma do when she hears about the attack on Hewitt's family?
10. What does Ty jokingly say is Zoe's Dark Gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did this book show parallels to western society, and how did this affect the tone of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Topsiders view life under the sea, and how accurate were these ideas?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)