|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gemma get money from when she ran away?
2. Who offers to let Gemma stay at Ty's house?
3. What does Gemma do when she hears of Hewitt's trouble?
4. What work will have to stop until the settlers complete their task?
5. What is Doc analyzing in his lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gemma say she is searching for her brother?
2. What happens after Gemma explains to Ty why she is looking for her brother?
3. What is the Trade Center used for?
4. What caused a change in Gemma's brother?
5. What does Gemma tell Ty she is trying to do?
6. Where does Gemma say she got her knife?
7. What does Ty do when he first gets to Hewitt's parent's homestead?
8. What does Gemma tell Ty she loves so much about his community?
9. What kind of collection does Ty have?
10. What happens to Ty as he is about to follow Jibby's advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How did Ty's relationship with Gemma change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)