|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stranger's voice, in "Hypnos," is described as "the music of deep viols and of crystalline" what?
2. Who wrote the opening quote, in the short story "Hypnos"?
3. What does the narrator see moving about once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
4. When was "The Other Gods" first published?
5. Who is the dean of the medical school, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
2. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
3. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
5. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
6. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
7. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
8. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
9. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
10. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe H.P. Lovecraft's "dream vision" narratives. What stories in the collection are told in this style? What effect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)