|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herbert West attend college?
2. Where was "The Other Gods" first published?
3. Who had gone missing before the narrator goes to visit his friend, in "From Beyond"?
4. Where is the olive grove described in "The Tree"?
5. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
2. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
3. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
5. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
6. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
7. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
8. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
9. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
10. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the character of Basil Elton from "The White Ship" to Kurane in "Celephais." How are these protagonists similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)