|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "revelled by night amidst the urban gaieties of Tegea," in "The Tree"?
2. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
3. What does Altberg allow the British soldiers to do while his cameras are recording, in "The Temple"?
4. In "Herbert West-Reanimator," West develops a theory that the human body is entirely what?
5. Who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hypnos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
2. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
3. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
4. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
5. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
6. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
7. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
8. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
9. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
10. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism, imagery, and religious allusion in "The Cats of Ulthar." How do the gods in this story relate to the deities of the other narratives in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)