|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Herbert West-Reanimator," West develops a theory that the human body is entirely what?
2. Where does West go on to open a private practice, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
3. Where does the narrator meet the stranger, in "Hypnos"?
4. When was "Hypnos" first published?
5. Where have men "heard the sighs of the gods in the plaintive dawn-winds," in "The Other Gods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
2. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
3. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
4. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
5. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
6. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
7. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
8. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
9. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
10. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)