|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "would meditate upon the visions that filled his mind, and there devise the forms of beauty which later became immortal in breathing marble," in "The Tree"?
2. The people of Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon," are described as very what?
3. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
4. Who wrote the opening quote, in the short story "Hypnos"?
5. What does the narrator do to the machine, in "From Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
2. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
3. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
4. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
5. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
6. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
7. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
8. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
9. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
10. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme and motif of nature and "nature's power" in "The Tree." How does Lovecraft support this theme with imagery in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the people of Sarnath and the creatures of Ib in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the narrator compare these groups in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)