|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does West reanimate who kills and eats a child, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
2. In the years that Iranon and the boy travel, what is unusual about Iranon's age?
3. Whose artwork surmounts a pillar in Athens near the Parthenon, in "The Tree"?
4. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
5. The boy suggests to Iranon to travel to what city after Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
2. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
3. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
4. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
5. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
6. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
7. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
8. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
9. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
10. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)