|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the gods travel, in "The Other Gods"?
2. What does Altberg do once the cameras are turned off, in "The Temple"?
3. Who died before his friend, in "The Tree"?
4. What can Tillinghast's machine activate, in "From Beyond"?
5. Who summoned the two sculptors in "The Tree" to build statues for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
2. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
3. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
4. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
5. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
6. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
7. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
8. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
9. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
10. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme and motif of nature and "nature's power" in "The Tree." How does Lovecraft support this theme with imagery in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)