|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the character Iranon from, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
2. Where was the short story "Hypnos"first published?
3. What are the servants afraid to do at Tillinghast's house, in "From Beyond"?
4. The narrator describes the stranger as having a brow as "white as the marble of" whom, in "Hypnos"?
5. What can Tillinghast's machine activate, in "From Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
2. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
3. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
4. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
5. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
6. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
7. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
8. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
9. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
10. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme and motif of nature and "nature's power" in "The Tree." How does Lovecraft support this theme with imagery in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)