|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see moving about once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
2. How is the stranger dressed whom the narrator encounters, in "Hypnos"?
3. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
4. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
5. What has Tillinghast always been fascinated by, in "From Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
2. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
3. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
4. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
5. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
6. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
7. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
8. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
9. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
10. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the recurring theme of "ancient deities" in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the theme in this story relate to the theme in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the people of Sarnath and the creatures of Ib in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the narrator compare these groups in the story?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)