|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the short story "Hypnos"first published?
2. What breaks out in the town, giving West a large number of cadavers, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
3. The people of Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon," are described as very what?
4. Who, in Greek religion and mythology, is the god of shepherds, flocks, mountain wilds, hunting, and rustic music, as well as being a companion of the nymphs?
5. Where does Iranon first go, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
2. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
3. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
4. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
5. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
6. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
7. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
8. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
9. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
10. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)