|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hypnos?
2. When was "Hypnos" first published?
3. It is suggested that the city of Oonai might in fact be what, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. What does Altberg do once the cameras are turned off, in "The Temple"?
5. What does one of the officers of the submarine find and take on board, in "The Temple"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
2. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
3. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
4. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
5. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
6. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
7. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
8. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
9. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
10. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Basil Elton from "The White Ship" to Kurane in "Celephais." How are these protagonists similar? How are they different?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)