|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tillinghast always been fascinated by, in "From Beyond"?
2. In "Herbert West-Reanimator," West develops a theory that the human body is entirely what?
3. What British freighter is destroyed, in "The Temple"?
4. What does Iranon meet upon leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
5. Where does the narrator meet the stranger, in "Hypnos"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
2. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
3. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
4. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
5. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
6. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
7. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
8. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
9. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
10. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond." How does the narrator know this central character? What relationship do the narrator and Tillinghast share?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)