|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
2. Who summoned the two sculptors in "The Tree" to build statues for him?
3. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
4. Ulthar lies beyond what river, in "The Other Gods"?
5. The old man of Ulthar was well-studied in the seven cryptical books of earth and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
2. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
3. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
4. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
5. Describe the beginning of "Hypnos." Where is the narrator when he meets a stranger?
6. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
7. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
8. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
9. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
10. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)