|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
2. Whose artwork surmounts a pillar in Athens near the Parthenon, in "The Tree"?
3. Who engaged in heavy drinking and reveling in Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. Who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hypnos?
5. The old man of Ulthar was well-studied in the seven cryptical books of earth and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
2. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
3. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
4. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
5. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
6. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
7. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
8. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
9. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
10. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)