|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does West go on to open a private practice, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
2. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
3. It is suggested that the city of Oonai might in fact be what, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. Where is Tillinghast's laboratory, in "From Beyond"?
5. How is the stranger dressed whom the narrator encounters, in "Hypnos"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
2. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
3. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
4. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
5. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
6. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
7. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
8. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
9. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
10. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)