|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the short story "Hypnos"first published?
2. What does the narrator do to the machine, in "From Beyond"?
3. What are the servants afraid to do at Tillinghast's house, in "From Beyond"?
4. Who tells the stranger about Aira, in the end of "The Quest of Iranon"?
5. What does Altberg do once the cameras are turned off, in "The Temple"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
2. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
3. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
4. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
5. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
6. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
7. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
8. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
9. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
10. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond." How does the narrator know this central character? What relationship do the narrator and Tillinghast share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the recurring theme of "ancient deities" in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the theme in this story relate to the theme in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)