|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the stranger's eyes described, in "Hypnos"?
2. What does Iranon do as he travels in "The Quest of Iranon"?
3. What has happened to Tillinghast since the narrator had last seen him, in "From Beyond"?
4. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
5. Whose sculpture stands in a marble shrine in Corinth, in "The Tree"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
2. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
3. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
4. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
5. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
6. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
7. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
8. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
9. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
10. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Joe Slater in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does the narrator know Slater? How does he describe him?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)