|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summoned the two sculptors in "The Tree" to build statues for him?
2. The people of Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon," are described as very what?
3. In what war do the narrator and West volunteer, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
4. What were both sculptors in "The Tree" summoned to create a sculpture of?
5. What can Tillinghast's machine activate, in "From Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
2. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
3. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
4. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
5. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
6. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
7. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
8. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
9. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
10. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond." How does the narrator know this central character? What relationship do the narrator and Tillinghast share?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)