|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tillinghast's laboratory, in "From Beyond"?
2. Who had gone missing before the narrator goes to visit his friend, in "From Beyond"?
3. When was "The Other Gods" first published?
4. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
5. The old man of Ulthar was well-studied in the seven cryptical books of earth and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
2. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
3. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
4. Describe the beginning of "Hypnos." Where is the narrator when he meets a stranger?
5. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
6. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
7. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
8. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
9. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
10. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Kurane at the end of "Celephais"? How can this ending be interpreted in different ways?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)