|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Altberg is the captain of what, in "The Temple"?
2. It is suggested that the city of Oonai might in fact be what, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
3. Where do the gods of earth dwell in "The Other Gods"?
4. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
5. What begins to follow the submarine, in "The Temple"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
2. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
3. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
4. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
5. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
6. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
7. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
8. Describe the beginning of "Hypnos." Where is the narrator when he meets a stranger?
9. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
10. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe H.P. Lovecraft's "dream vision" narratives. What stories in the collection are told in this style? What effect does it have on the reader?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)