|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the friend of the narrator in "From Beyond"?
2. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
3. How are the stranger's eyes described, in "Hypnos"?
4. In the years that Iranon and the boy travel, what is unusual about Iranon's age?
5. Who is the dean of the medical school, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
2. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
3. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
4. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
5. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
6. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
7. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
8. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
9. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
10. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe H.P. Lovecraft's "dream vision" narratives. What stories in the collection are told in this style? What effect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Joe Slater in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does the narrator know Slater? How does he describe him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)