|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
2. In Celephais, there is no what?
3. When does the author write in "Polaris," "the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon"?
4. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
5. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
2. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
3. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
4. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
5. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
6. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
7. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
8. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
9. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
10. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the character of Basil Elton from "The White Ship" to Kurane in "Celephais." How are these protagonists similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)