|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the sailor taken aboard as prisoner in "Dagon"?
2. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
3. The people of Sarnath do what to the beings of Ib?
4. What did Joe Slater awaken from a nightmare to do, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
5. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
2. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
4. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
5. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
6. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
7. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
8. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
9. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
10. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to Kurane at the end of "Celephais"? How can this ending be interpreted in different ways?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond." How does the narrator know this central character? What relationship do the narrator and Tillinghast share?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)