|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator, in "Celephais," describes Kurane as not what?
2. Where was "The Cats of Ulthar" first published?
3. What is the name of the sailor Kurane hires, in "Celephais"?
4. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
5. Where was the psychiatric patient from, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
2. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
3. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
4. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
5. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
6. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
7. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
8. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
9. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
10. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Iranon and Romnod in "The Quest of Iranon." Who is the protagonist of the story? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the protagonists in "Dagon" and "Polaris." How are these characters similar? How do their actions relate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism, imagery, and religious allusion in "The Cats of Ulthar." How do the gods in this story relate to the deities of the other narratives in the collection?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)