|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar," traveling in?
2. What did the old cotter like to do, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
4. Celephais is located beyond what hills?
5. What does Kurane see coming towards him on the bridge, in the ending of "Celephais"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
2. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
3. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
4. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
5. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
6. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
7. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
8. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
9. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
10. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)