|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
2. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
3. What is the name of the land in which the narrator finds himself dreaming, in "Polaris"?
4. What is the name of the young boy among the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
5. What is the name of the sailor Kurane hires, in "Celephais"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
2. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
3. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
4. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
5. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
6. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
7. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
8. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
9. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
10. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism, imagery, and religious allusion in "The Cats of Ulthar." How do the gods in this story relate to the deities of the other narratives in the collection?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)