Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
2. What is the high priest of Sarnath writing when he dies?
3. What did the old cotter like to do, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
4. What is the name of the psychiatric patient, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
5. What is described as the pink marble city, in "Celephais"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
2. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
3. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
4. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
5. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
6. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
7. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
8. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
9. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
10. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
Describe the character of Joe Slater in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does the narrator know Slater? How does he describe him?
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)