|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator long to be, but was found unworthy, in "Polaris"?
2. What is the narrator to do if the Inutos gain the upper hand in the battle, in "Polaris"?
3. What lures the narrator to sleep, in "Polaris"?
4. Celephais is located by what sea?
5. The narrator, in "Celephais," describes Kurane as not what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
2. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
3. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
4. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
5. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
6. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
7. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
8. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
9. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
10. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Crawford Tillinghast's machine in "From Beyond." What is the character's theory about the pineal gland? How feasible is this theory?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)