|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sailor awake to find himself surrounded by in "Dagon"?
2. The patient in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" has night rants that are described as extremely what?
3. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
4. The narrator, in "Celephais," describes Kurane as not what?
5. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
2. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
4. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
5. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
6. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
7. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
8. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
9. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
10. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the protagonists in "Dagon" and "Polaris." How are these characters similar? How do their actions relate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Joe Slater in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does the narrator know Slater? How does he describe him?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)