|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and his companion follow in their ship, in "The White Ship"?
2. The narrator, in "Celephais," describes Kurane as not what?
3. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
4. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
5. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
2. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
3. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
4. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
5. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
6. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
7. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
8. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
9. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
10. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the recurring theme of "ancient deities" in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the theme in this story relate to the theme in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Kurane at the end of "Celephais"? How can this ending be interpreted in different ways?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)