|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Slater in the end of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
2. What refers to a single structure that arises from the ground?
3. Where was "The White Ship" first published?
4. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
5. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
3. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
4. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
5. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
6. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
7. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
8. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
9. How are Musides and Kalos similar? How are they different?
10. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)