|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the god the beings of Ib worship?
2. Who attacked the sailor's ship in "Dagon"?
3. What is the narrator to do if the Inutos gain the upper hand in the battle, in "Polaris"?
4. On what land, in "The White Ship," is there neither time nor space, suffering nor death?
5. Celephais is located in the valley of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
2. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
3. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
4. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
5. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
6. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
7. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
8. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
9. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
10. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and central characters in "Dagon." Who is the protagonist? What actions does he take in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)