|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
2. Where was it rumored the people of Ib had descended from where, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
3. What had risen from the depths, during the night in "Dagon"?
4. What city does the narrator first dream he is in, in "Polaris"?
5. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
2. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
3. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
4. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
5. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
6. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
7. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
8. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
9. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
10. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe H.P. Lovecraft's "dream vision" narratives. What stories in the collection are told in this style? What effect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)