|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Sarnath steal from Ib?
2. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
3. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
4. What refers to a single structure that arises from the ground?
5. What is referred to as the land of pleasures unattained, in "The White Ship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
2. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
3. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
4. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
5. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
6. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
7. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
8. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
9. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
10. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of "Polaris." What is the voice and tense of the narration? Who is the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the recurring theme of "ancient deities" in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the theme in this story relate to the theme in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)