|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar," coming from?
2. What does Kurane has believe has been sucked out of the life of modern men, in "Celephais"?
3. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
4. What is the high priest of Sarnath writing when he dies?
5. On what anniversary do the people of Sarnath complain of seeing the long dead mysterious creatures around town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
3. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
4. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
5. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
6. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
7. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
8. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
9. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
10. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism, imagery, and religious allusion in "The Cats of Ulthar." How do the gods in this story relate to the deities of the other narratives in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)