|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's position in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
2. How many days did the sailor shelter himself on his stranded boat before venturing out, in "Dagon"?
3. The sailor in "Dagon"concluded it would be safest to explore the island when?
4. Where is the demon hiding which the being goes to destroy, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
5. On what land, in "The White Ship," is there neither time nor space, suffering nor death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
2. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
4. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
5. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
6. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
7. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
8. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
9. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
10. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the recurring theme of "ancient deities" in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath." How does the theme in this story relate to the theme in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and protagonist of "The Temple." How does the motif of war support the story's themes? How is Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein described?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)