|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
2. What great stone city had once stood by the lake, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
3. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
4. After how many days does the boy traveler's kitten go missing, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
5. What had risen from the depths, during the night in "Dagon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
2. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
3. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
4. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
5. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
6. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
7. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
8. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
9. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
10. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the protagonists in "Dagon" and "Polaris." How are these characters similar? How do their actions relate?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)