|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the sailor escape the island in "Dagon"?
2. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
3. Where was it rumored the people of Ib had descended from where, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
4. What is the name of the land in which the narrator finds himself dreaming, in "Polaris"?
5. Where did the bravest warriors go to meet their enemies for battle in Olathoe, in the story "Polaris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
2. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
3. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
4. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
5. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
6. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
7. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
8. How does Lovecraft define "cosmic fear"?
9. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
10. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "forbidden knowledge" and the motif of nature in "Dagon." How does Lovecraft support the theme with imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the boy from "The Cats of Ulthar" to Atal in "The Other Gods." How has the character changed and developed between the two stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Joe Slater in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does the narrator know Slater? How does he describe him?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)