|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Celephais is located by what sea?
2. Where was "The Cats of Ulthar" first published?
3. Who is on the white ship seen by the narrator, in "The White Ship"?
4. The people of Sarnath do what to the beings of Ib?
5. When was the story "Polaris" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
2. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
3. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
4. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
5. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
6. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
7. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
8. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
9. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
10. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond." How does the narrator know this central character? What relationship do the narrator and Tillinghast share?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Kurane at the end of "Celephais"? How can this ending be interpreted in different ways?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)