|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what anniversary do the people of Sarnath complain of seeing the long dead mysterious creatures around town?
2. What did the sailor in "Dagon" eventually become addicted to?
3. Where does the narrator decide to travel after many eons, in "The White Ship"?
4. What were on the sides of the vehicles of the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
5. What great stone city had once stood by the lake, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
2. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
3. What becomes of Kalos, in the story "The Tree"?
4. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
5. How does "From Beyond" end? How does the narrator escape?
6. Who are the central characters in "The Tree"? What do they do?
7. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
8. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
9. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
10. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme and motif of nature and "nature's power" in "The Tree." How does Lovecraft support this theme with imagery in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the character of Basil Elton from "The White Ship" to Kurane in "Celephais." How are these protagonists similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the story "Celephais." Where is Celephais located? How is it described by the narrator?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)