|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
2. Where does the narrator first sail, in "The White Ship"?
3. What color kitten does the boy traveler have, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
4. What does the narrator long to be, but was found unworthy, in "Polaris"?
5. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
2. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
3. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
4. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
5. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
6. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
7. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
8. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
9. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
10. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "The Cats of Ulthar" and "The Other Gods." How is the city of Ulthar described in each of these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the protagonists in "Dagon" and "Polaris." How are these characters similar? How do their actions relate?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Musides and Kalos in "The Tree." How are they similar? How are they different? What relationship do the characters share?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)