|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
(a) A British soldier.
(b) A silver ring.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A whale carcass.
2. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
(a) He is a sculptor.
(b) He is an astronaut.
(c) He is a scientist.
(d) He is a journalist.
3. What is described as near the olive grove in "The Tree"?
(a) A temple.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A well.
(d) A castle.
4. In what war do the narrator and West volunteer, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
(a) World War II.
(b) The French and Indian War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War I.
5. What is the young apprentice priest's name, in "The Other Gods"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the gods travel, in "The Other Gods"?
2. What are the servants afraid to do at Tillinghast's house, in "From Beyond"?
3. Who "would meditate upon the visions that filled his mind, and there devise the forms of beauty which later became immortal in breathing marble," in "The Tree"?
4. The old man of Ulthar was well-studied in the seven cryptical books of earth and what?
5. Whom does West reanimate who kills and eats a child, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
2. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
3. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
4. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
5. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
6. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
7. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
8. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
9. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
10. What happens at the top of the mountain in "The Other Gods"? What do they do?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)