|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iranon meet upon leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A nun.
(d) A priest.
2. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
(a) He is a scientist.
(b) He is a sculptor.
(c) He is a journalist.
(d) He is an astronaut.
3. Who, in Greek religion and mythology, is the god of shepherds, flocks, mountain wilds, hunting, and rustic music, as well as being a companion of the nymphs?
4. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
5. What has Tillinghast always been fascinated by, in "From Beyond"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the olive grove described in "The Tree"?
2. What does the narrator see moving about once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
3. In what war do the narrator and West volunteer, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
4. Where is the character Iranon from, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
5. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
2. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
3. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
4. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
5. What happens in the ending of "Hypnos"? What does the narrator discover?
6. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
7. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
8. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
9. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
10. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)