|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the stranger the narrator meets, in "Hypnos"?
(a) Almost 30.
(b) Almost 40.
(c) Almost 20.
(d) Almost 60.
2. What is the name of the High priest, in "The Other Gods"?
3. Where does West go on to open a private practice, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
(a) New Mexico.
(b) New Hampsire.
(d) New York.
4. Where was the short story "Hypnos"first published?
(a) Reader's Digest.
(b) The Fantasy Reader.
(c) The United Amateur.
(d) The National Amateur.
5. The people of Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon," are described as very what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do to the machine, in "From Beyond"?
2. How many people did the dean of the medical school kill and devour, after being reanimated, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
3. What does Iranon do as he travels in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. What are the servants afraid to do at Tillinghast's house, in "From Beyond"?
5. Who "would meditate upon the visions that filled his mind, and there devise the forms of beauty which later became immortal in breathing marble," in "The Tree"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interest bonds the two characters in "Hypnos"? How do they pursue this interest?
2. Where does "The Other Gods" take place? Where have this setting and some characters been seen previously?
3. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
4. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
5. Where does Iranon go after leaving Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"? How does the story end?
6. What does Altberg do with the British soldiers, in "The Temple"? What happens after they resurface?
7. Describe the style and themes in "The Other Gods." Where is the horror in the story?
8. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
9. Describe Herbert West in "Herbert West-Reanimator." Where does he meet the narrator?
10. What theory does Herbert West develop in college? What does this lead to?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)