|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What killed Musides, in the end of "The Tree"?
(a) A sea-creature.
(b) The olive tree.
(c) A giant rock.
(d) An evil spirit.
2. How are the stranger's eyes described, in "Hypnos"?
3. What has Tillinghast always been fascinated by, in "From Beyond"?
4. What British freighter is destroyed, in "The Temple"?
(a) The Lady Mercy.
(b) The Spirit of St. Louis.
(c) The White Knight.
(d) The Victory.
5. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
(a) A silver ring.
(b) A whale carcass.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A British soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
2. When was "Hypnos" first published?
3. The boy suggests to Iranon to travel to what city after Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. In the years that Iranon and the boy travel, what is unusual about Iranon's age?
5. The captain's log, of "The Temple," was found off the coast of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
2. Describe the beginning of "Hypnos." Where is the narrator when he meets a stranger?
3. Who is Crawford Tillinghast? What is his obsession?
4. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
5. How does Altberg's vessel become trapped, in "The Temple"?
6. Who is the central character in "The Temple"? What is the narrative style of the work?
7. Who does Iranon befriend in Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
8. How does Tillinghast define the "blobs" once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
9. What is the objective of Barzai, in "The Other Gods"?
10. Where is Iranon in the beginning of "The Quest of Iranon"? How is it described?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)