|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's job in the dream-land, in "Polaris"?
(a) Carriage driver.
2. Where does Kurane live in the beginning of "Celephais"?
(d) New York.
3. What lures the narrator to sleep, in "Polaris"?
(a) The North Star.
(b) The moon.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A fairy.
4. What is described as the pink marble city, in "Celephais"?
5. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
2. What city does the narrator first dream he is in, in "Polaris"?
3. The narrator in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" believes the human mind is sometimes able to visit where in sleep?
4. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
5. What refers to a single structure that arises from the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
2. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
3. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
4. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
5. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
6. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
7. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
8. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
9. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
10. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)