|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" set?
2. When was the story "Polaris" written?
3. What does the boy traveler, in "The Cats of Ulthar," do after being told of the cotter?
(a) Killed the cotter.
4. What is the narrator's occupation in "The White Ship"?
(c) Medical internist.
(d) Lighthouse keeper.
5. After how many days does the boy traveler's kitten go missing, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
2. What is the name of the young boy among the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. The narrator in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" believes the human mind is sometimes able to visit where in sleep?
4. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
5. What land is referred to as a land past the pillars that no man has ever seen, in "The White Ship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
2. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
3. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
4. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
5. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
6. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
7. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
8. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
9. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
10. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)