|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
2. On what land, in "The White Ship," is there neither time nor space, suffering nor death?
3. The narrator, in "Celephais," describes Kurane as not what?
4. Where were the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar," coming from?
(a) The west.
(b) The north.
(c) The east.
(d) The south.
5. What does the boy traveler, in "The Cats of Ulthar," do after being told of the cotter?
(c) Killed the cotter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator first sail, in "The White Ship"?
2. What is described as the pink marble city, in "Celephais"?
3. Once the narrator hooks his machine to the patient, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep," he sees a world made of what?
4. What is Polaris another name for?
5. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
3. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
4. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
5. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
6. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
7. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
8. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
9. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
10. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)