|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Celephais is located beyond what hills?
(a) Tanarian hills.
(b) Cerenerian Hills.
(c) Ooth Hills.
(d) Athib Hills.
2. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
(c) Grey ooze.
(d) A giant whale.
3. What is the narrator's position in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(b) Medical internist.
4. How did the sailor escape in "Dagon"?
(a) He swam.
(c) His crew saved him.
(d) He levitated.
5. How many days did the sailor shelter himself on his stranded boat before venturing out, in "Dagon"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's occupation in "The White Ship"?
2. What were on the sides of the vehicles of the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. Celephais is located by what sea?
4. In what year is "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" set?
5. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
2. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
3. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
4. What happens to make the characters in "Hypnos" desire to stay awake?
5. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
6. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
7. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
8. What happens to the dean in "Herbert West-Reanimator"? Where is he placed after capture?
9. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
10. What does Herbert West do in Boston? What are the effects of his experiments there?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)