|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the land in which the narrator finds himself dreaming, in "Polaris"?
2. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Beyond death.
(c) Through time.
3. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
(a) A giant whale.
(b) Grey ooze.
4. What did the sailor awake to find himself surrounded by in "Dagon"?
(a) Dark ooze.
(b) White light.
(c) Yellow light.
5. What does Kurane has believe has been sucked out of the life of modern men, in "Celephais"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
2. What is the narrator to do if the Inutos gain the upper hand in the battle, in "Polaris"?
3. Who attacked the sailor's ship in "Dagon"?
4. Celephais is located by what sea?
5. What great stone city had once stood by the lake, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
2. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
3. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
4. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
5. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
6. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
7. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
8. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
9. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
10. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)