|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the old cotter like to do, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
(a) Shoot dogs.
(b) Kill cats.
(c) Eat steak.
2. Where do the narrator and his companion not enter because only demons and madmen can live in that city, in "The White Ship"?
3. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
(b) Water lizard.
4. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
(c) Middle child.
5. What is the high priest of Sarnath writing when he dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What land is referred to as a land past the pillars that no man has ever seen, in "The White Ship"?
2. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
3. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
4. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
5. Where was it rumored the people of Ib had descended from where, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
2. What happens to Sarnath after the slaying of the creatures of Ib? For how many years does the city prosper?
3. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
4. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
5. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
6. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
7. What is the narrative style of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does this compare to Lovecraft's other works in the collection?
8. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
9. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
10. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)