|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It sinks.
(c) It dries completely.
(d) It rises.
2. What does the boy traveler, in "The Cats of Ulthar," do after being told of the cotter?
(d) Killed the cotter.
3. What had risen from the depths, during the night in "Dagon"?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A snake.
(d) A submarine.
4. Where did the bravest warriors go to meet their enemies for battle in Olathoe, in the story "Polaris"?
(a) The river mouth.
(b) The fortress.
(c) The mountain pass.
(d) The shore.
5. What great stone city had once stood by the lake, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
2. What did the sailor in "Dagon" eventually become addicted to?
3. The narrator in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" believes the human mind is sometimes able to visit where in sleep?
4. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
5. The sailor in "Dagon"concluded it would be safest to explore the island when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
3. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
4. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
5. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
6. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
7. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
8. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
9. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
10. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)