|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the demon hiding which the being goes to destroy, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
2. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Through time.
(c) Beyond death.
3. What does the sailor in "Dagon" find on the monolith on the island?
(a) A giant whale.
(b) Grey ooze.
4. What city does the narrator first dream he is in, in "Polaris"?
5. After how many days does the boy traveler's kitten go missing, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
2. What color kitten does the boy traveler have, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. What was the sailor taken aboard as prisoner in "Dagon"?
4. Where was "The White Ship" first published?
5. In Celephais, there is no what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
2. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
3. Describe the narrator of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." How does he introduce the story?
4. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
5. How is the land of Zar described in "The White Ship"? How is Thalarian described?
6. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
7. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
8. What does Kurane do once he has reappeared in London, in "Celephais"?
9. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
10. What is the setting of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? How does the narrator describe the location?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)