|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does the narrator first dream he is in, in "Polaris"?
2. What is referred to as the land of pleasures unattained, in "The White Ship"?
3. What had risen from the depths, during the night in "Dagon"?
(a) A snake.
(b) An evil spirit.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A submarine.
4. Where was the psychiatric patient from, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Upstate New York.
(b) Southern Illinois.
(c) Western Kentucky.
(d) Upstate Massachusetts.
5. Where do the narrator and his companion not enter because only demons and madmen can live in that city, in "The White Ship"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Celephais is located in the valley of what?
2. What happens to Slater in the end of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
3. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
4. What land is referred to as a land past the pillars that no man has ever seen, in "The White Ship"?
5. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
2. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
3. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
4. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
5. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
6. How long is the hero's journey to Cathuria in "The White Ship"? What happens in the end of the story?
7. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
8. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
9. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
10. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)