|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the sailor taken aboard as prisoner in "Dagon"?
(a) A U.F.O.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) An American warship.
(d) A submarine.
2. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
3. What is the name of the young boy among the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
4. Celephais is located by what sea?
(a) Longnach Sea.
(b) Ooth Sea.
(c) Cerenerian Sea.
(d) Tanarian Sea.
5. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Polaris another name for?
2. What does the narrator long to be, but was found unworthy, in "Polaris"?
3. Where does the narrator decide to travel after many eons, in "The White Ship"?
4. What city does the narrator first dream he is in, in "Polaris"?
5. The narrator invents a machine that would let him see what, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
2. What does Lovecraft write of horror in history? What is his evaluation of Frankenstein?
3. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
4. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
5. What happens to Altberg's crew after the ivory figurine is brought aboard the craft?
6. What does the olive tree do in the ending of "The Tree"?
7. Describe the journey of Iranon to Oonai in "The Quest of Iranon." How long does it take?
8. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
9. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
10. What happens when the narrator goes to visit Tillinghast in "From Beyond"?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)