|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) It sinks.
(b) It disappears.
(c) It dries completely.
(d) It rises.
2. What was the sailor taken aboard as prisoner in "Dagon"?
(a) A pirate ship.
(b) A submarine.
(c) A U.F.O.
(d) An American warship.
3. Celephais is located by what sea?
(a) Cerenerian Sea.
(b) Tanarian Sea.
(c) Ooth Sea.
(d) Longnach Sea.
4. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
(d) Water lizard.
5. What did Joe Slater awaken from a nightmare to do, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Kill his children.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Kill a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" set?
2. The patient in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" has night rants that are described as extremely what?
3. How did the sailor escape the island in "Dagon"?
4. What do the people of Sarnath steal from Ib?
5. What do the narrator and his companion follow in their ship, in "The White Ship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
2. Who is the protagonist of "The White Ship"? Where is he when the story begins?
3. What do the townspeople discover in the ending of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
4. Describe the style of "Polaris." What literary techniques does Lovecraft implement in this story?
5. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
6. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
7. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
8. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
9. What happens to the narrator, in the ending of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? Where does the light being go?
10. What happens on the third day the visitors are in Ulthar?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)