|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. What color kitten does the boy traveler have, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
3. Where does Kurane live in the beginning of "Celephais"?
(c) New York.
4. What did the sailor in "Dagon" eventually become addicted to?
5. When does the author write in "Polaris," "the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
2. What were the travelers, in "The Cats of Ulthar," traveling in?
3. What do the people of Sarnath steal from Ib?
4. Where was "The White Ship" first published?
5. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the monolith in "Dagon"? What does the sailor find there?
2. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
3. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
4. Describe the protagonist of "Celephais." Where does he live?
5. What is the narrator's job in the climax of "Polaris"? Where does he go?
6. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
7. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
8. What happens to Kurane in the ending of "Celephais"?
9. What action takes place in the beginning of "Dagon"? What is the setting?
10. Describe the narrative style of "Dagon." What is the voice of the narration?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)