|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was it rumored the people of Ib had descended from where, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) The moon.
2. The creature in "Dagon" is described as half-man, half-what?
3. What happens to Slater in the end of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) He gets married.
(b) He wakes up.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He dies.
4. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) James Hotmore.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Alexander Williams.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
5. What city stood 10,000 years ago but stands no more, in the story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what land is there a vast, still lake that is fed by no stream, but out of which no stream flows, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
2. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
3. Where do the narrator and his companion not enter because only demons and madmen can live in that city, in "The White Ship"?
4. What is the narrator to do if the Inutos gain the upper hand in the battle, in "Polaris"?
5. In Ulthar, there is a law that no man can do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Celephais described? Where does Kurane decide to travel there?
2. When does Joe Slater come to the hospital in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? How is Slater described?
3. Describe the beginning of "Polaris." Where is the narrator?
4. Where does the sailor go after escaping the war ship in "Dagon"? Where does he find himself?
5. Describe the hero's journeys to Xura and Sona-Nyl in "The White Ship." How long does he stay?
6. What law rules the land in Ulthar? What does the narrator describe as happening before the law went into place?
7. What strangers arrive in Ulthar? How are they described in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
8. What does the narrator write about Slater's behavior at the hospital, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"? What is notable about his dreams?
9. Describe the dream land of the narrator in "Polaris." What is taking place in the dream-world?
10. What do the settlers of Sarnath discover, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"? Who are their neighbors?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)