|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Altberg is the captain of what, in "The Temple"?
(a) A war ship.
(b) An oil tanker.
(c) A submarine.
(d) A freight ship.
2. Who "would meditate upon the visions that filled his mind, and there devise the forms of beauty which later became immortal in breathing marble," in "The Tree"?
(a) The prince.
(b) The king.
3. What does Tillinghast tell the narrator they are viewing with the machine on, in "From Beyond"?
(c) His dreams.
(d) Another reality.
4. What does Herbert West use to reanimate dead bodies?
5. What rank is Altberg, in "The Temple"?
6. How is the stranger dressed whom the narrator encounters, in "Hypnos"?
(a) In red.
(b) In black.
(c) In blue.
(d) In white.
7. Who "revelled by night amidst the urban gaieties of Tegea," in "The Tree"?
(c) The king.
(d) The warriors.
8. When was "Hypnos" first published?
9. The boy suggests to Iranon to travel to what city after Teloth, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
10. What are the servants afraid to do at Tillinghast's house, in "From Beyond"?
(a) Turn off the lights.
(b) Turn on the lights.
(c) Open the door.
(d) Open the attic.
11. What does one of the officers of the submarine find and take on board, in "The Temple"?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A silver ring.
(c) An ivory figurine.
(d) A gold figurine.
12. Karl Heinrich von Altberg-Ehrenstein is fighting in what war, in "The Temple"?
(a) The American Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Korean War.
13. Lovecraft writes in "The Other Gods," "But now they have betaken themselves to unknown ____ in the cold waste where no man treads."
14. What does the narrator see moving about once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
15. What is described as near the olive grove in "The Tree"?
(a) A tomb.
(b) A well.
(c) A temple.
(d) A castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the opening quote, in the short story "Hypnos"?
2. The stranger's voice, in "Hypnos," is described as "the music of deep viols and of crystalline" what?
3. Who summoned the two sculptors in "The Tree" to build statues for him?
4. What does the narrator do for employment, in "Hypnos"?
5. What does Altberg do once the cameras are turned off, in "The Temple"?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)