|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is described as near the olive grove in "The Tree"?
(a) A well.
(b) A temple.
(c) A castle.
(d) A tomb.
2. What begins to follow the submarine, in "The Temple"?
3. Who, in Greek religion and mythology, is the god of shepherds, flocks, mountain wilds, hunting, and rustic music, as well as being a companion of the nymphs?
4. Who engaged in heavy drinking and reveling in Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
(a) The king.
(d) The prince.
5. How old is the stranger the narrator meets, in "Hypnos"?
(a) Almost 60.
(b) Almost 20.
(c) Almost 30.
(d) Almost 40.
6. What has happened to Tillinghast since the narrator had last seen him, in "From Beyond"?
(a) He had died.
(b) He grew fat.
(c) He got younger.
(d) He grew thin.
7. Where have men "heard the sighs of the gods in the plaintive dawn-winds," in "The Other Gods"?
8. Ulthar lies beyond what river, in "The Other Gods"?
9. What does the narrator see moving about once the machine is on, in "From Beyond"?
10. In what branch of the military is Altberg, in "The Temple"?
(a) Air Force.
11. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
(a) A silver ring.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A whale carcass.
(d) A mermaid.
12. What does Iranon do as he travels in "The Quest of Iranon"?
(b) Sells jewels.
(c) Sells books.
(d) Paints portraits.
13. Who is the friend of the narrator in "From Beyond"?
(b) Crawford Tillinghast.
(c) Basil Elton.
(d) Joe Slater.
14. Where have "men have felt the tears of the gods though they have thought it rain," in "The Other Gods"?
15. Who tells the stranger about Aira, in the end of "The Quest of Iranon"?
(a) A king.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose artwork surmounts a pillar in Athens near the Parthenon, in "The Tree"?
2. The stranger's voice, in "Hypnos," is described as "the music of deep viols and of crystalline" what?
3. Whose sculpture stands in a marble shrine in Corinth, in "The Tree"?
4. What does the narrator do to the machine, in "From Beyond"?
5. The old man of Ulthar was well-studied in the seven cryptical books of earth and what?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)