|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is described as near the olive grove in "The Tree"?
(a) A temple.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A well.
(d) A castle.
2. What killed Musides, in the end of "The Tree"?
(a) A giant rock.
(b) An evil spirit.
(c) The olive tree.
(d) A sea-creature.
3. Who "would meditate upon the visions that filled his mind, and there devise the forms of beauty which later became immortal in breathing marble," in "The Tree"?
(b) The king.
(d) The prince.
4. What mountain is described in the opening of "The Tree"?
(a) Mount Maenalus.
(b) Mount McKinley.
(c) Mount Vesuvius.
(d) Mount Herod.
5. The stranger's voice, in "Hypnos," is described as "the music of deep viols and of crystalline" what?
6. What has Tillinghast always been fascinated by, in "From Beyond"?
7. Who had gone missing before the narrator goes to visit his friend, in "From Beyond"?
(a) Two servants.
(b) Basil Elton.
(c) Joe Slater.
(d) Crawford Tillinghast.
8. Where is the character Iranon from, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
9. Where was the short story "Hypnos"first published?
(a) The United Amateur.
(b) The Fantasy Reader.
(c) Reader's Digest.
(d) The National Amateur.
10. What does one of the officers of the submarine find and take on board, in "The Temple"?
(a) A silver ring.
(b) A gold figurine.
(c) A gold ring.
(d) An ivory figurine.
11. In what branch of the military is Altberg, in "The Temple"?
(d) Air Force.
12. What were both sculptors in "The Tree" summoned to create a sculpture of?
13. In what war do the narrator and West volunteer, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) World War II.
14. What rank is Altberg, in "The Temple"?
15. Once the submarine surfaces again, what do the crew find on the hub, in "The Temple"?
(a) A silver ring.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A whale carcass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks out in the town, giving West a large number of cadavers, in "Herbert West-Reanimator"?
2. The narrator in, "Hypnos," writes of the stranger, "this man was a faun's statue out of antique ____..."
3. Who engaged in heavy drinking and reveling in Oonai, in "The Quest of Iranon"?
4. The captain's log, of "The Temple," was found off the coast of what?
5. Whose sculpture stands in a marble shrine in Corinth, in "The Tree"?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)