|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sailor in "Dagon"concluded it would be safest to explore the island when?
(a) At night.
(b) In the day.
(c) In the morning.
(d) In the evening.
2. When does the author write in "Polaris," "the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon"?
3. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) James Hotmore.
(c) Alexander Williams.
(d) Carl Jung.
4. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) It rises.
(b) It dries completely.
(c) It sinks.
(d) It disappears.
5. In Celephais, there is no what?
6. Once the narrator hooks his machine to the patient, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep," he sees a world made of what?
7. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
8. What is the name of the psychiatric patient, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Jerry Slater.
(b) Joe Martin.
(c) Joe Slater.
(d) Andy Slater.
9. The narrator in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" believes the human mind is sometimes able to visit where in sleep?
(b) Alternate realities.
(c) Other planets.
10. Where was "The Cats of Ulthar" first published?
(a) The Fantasy Reader.
(b) The Tryout.
(c) Reader's Digest.
(d) The United Amateur.
11. Where does the narrator first sail, in "The White Ship"?
12. Where was it rumored the people of Ib had descended from where, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(d) The moon.
13. Where does the narrator find himself in the end of "The White Ship"?
(a) The lighthouse.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A hospital.
(d) The ship.
14. What lures the narrator to sleep, in "Polaris"?
(a) A fairy.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The North Star.
(d) The moon.
15. What did the sailor in "Dagon" eventually become addicted to?
Short Answer Questions
1. The people of Sarnath do what to the beings of Ib?
2. The patient in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" has night rants that are described as extremely what?
3. What is Polaris another name for?
4. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
5. What does a boy messenger report seeing, surrounding the cotter's house, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)