|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sailor in "Dagon" eventually become addicted to?
2. What is the high priest of Sarnath writing when he dies?
3. What do the narrator and his companion follow in their ship, in "The White Ship"?
(a) A star.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) A bird.
4. Celephais is located by what sea?
(a) Cerenerian Sea.
(b) Ooth Sea.
(c) Longnach Sea.
(d) Tanarian Sea.
5. What did Joe Slater awaken from a nightmare to do, in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Kill a man.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Kill his children.
6. What does a boy messenger report seeing, surrounding the cotter's house, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
7. The narrator in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" believes the human mind is sometimes able to visit where in sleep?
(a) Alternate realities.
(c) Other planets.
8. What is the name of the land in which the narrator finds himself dreaming, in "Polaris"?
9. What is Polaris another name for?
(c) The North Star.
(d) The Big Dipper.
10. What happens to the lake in the ending of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) It rises.
(b) It disappears.
(c) It dries completely.
(d) It sinks.
11. What had risen from the depths, during the night in "Dagon"?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A snake.
(d) A submarine.
12. Celephais is located beyond what hills?
(a) Ooth Hills.
(b) Tanarian hills.
(c) Cerenerian Hills.
(d) Athib Hills.
13. The patient in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" has night rants that are described as extremely what?
14. Who attacked the sailor's ship in "Dagon"?
15. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) Alexander Williams.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) James Hotmore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the old cotter like to do, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
2. In "Celephais," Kurane is described as a what?
3. In what land is there a vast, still lake that is fed by no stream, but out of which no stream flows, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
4. What land is referred to as a land past the pillars that no man has ever seen, in "The White Ship"?
5. What is the narrator's position in "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)