|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the land in which the narrator finds himself dreaming, in "Polaris"?
2. What city stood 10,000 years ago but stands no more, in the story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
3. What psychologist does the narrator cite in the opening of "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Alexander Williams.
(c) James Hotmore.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
4. What do the people of Sarnath steal from Ib?
(a) Their idol.
(b) Their women.
(c) Their town hall.
(d) Their fountain.
5. What is the narrator's occupation in "The White Ship"?
(c) Medical internist.
(d) Lighthouse keeper.
6. What is the high priest of Sarnath writing when he dies?
7. Where was "The Cats of Ulthar" first published?
(a) Reader's Digest.
(b) The Tryout.
(c) The United Amateur.
(d) The Fantasy Reader.
8. What great stone city had once stood by the lake, in "The Doom that Came to Sarnath"?
9. What did the old cotter like to do, in "The Cats of Ulthar"?
(a) Kill cats.
(b) Shoot dogs.
(c) Eat steak.
10. The god the beings of Ib worship is described as a great what?
(d) Water lizard.
11. What do the townspeople find in the cotter's house, at the end of "The Cats of Ulthar"?
12. Where was "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" first published?
(a) Reader's Digest.
(b) The Amateur.
(c) Fantasy Reader.
(d) Pine Cones.
13. Who are the enemies of the people of Olathoe, in "Polaris"?
14. In what year is "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" set?
15. When does the author write in "Polaris," "the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator to do if the Inutos gain the upper hand in the battle, in "Polaris"?
2. What did the sailor awake to find himself surrounded by in "Dagon"?
3. How many days did the sailor shelter himself on his stranded boat before venturing out, in "Dagon"?
4. When was the story "Polaris" written?
5. What is Kurane in his family lineage, in "Celephais"?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)