|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Emperor ask Matron?
(a) If the Matron would care for his daughter who is ill.
(b) If Sister Mary Praise needs a burial plot.
(c) If Thomas Stone could come see the Emperor as soon as possible.
(d) If anyone at Missing has treated an army general.
2. What does Dr. Stone ask of Mary when they dock?
(a) To join him there.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To let him come with her.
(d) To let him pay her for caring for him.
3. Who does Ghosh decide to visit?
(a) A banker.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A priest.
4. What happens to the soldier who points the gun at Genet?
(a) It is not written.
(b) He dies.
(c) He takes Shiva with him to the palace.
(d) He is arrested.
5. What do Hema, Ghosh and the twins see when they go into the city?
(a) The Emperor driving towards his palace.
(b) A new hotel being built.
(c) A dead antelope.
(d) Troops on every street corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what church does Eli Harris belong?
2. What does Stone tell Hema to do with the twins?
3. What do ShivaMarion do when they see the man running towards the hospital?
4. What does the family learn about General Mebratu?
5. What is yelled at Hema?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marion remember about being a toddler?
2. Why does Rosina run to the palace during the beginning of the coup?
3. What does Hema realize almost instantly in the operating room, and what does she shout at Stone? What is his response?
4. What devastates Mary about the boat trip, and what does Dr. Stone ask her when they reach Addis Ababa? What is Mary's response to his question?
5. What happens when Hema first rushes into the operating room?
6. What is Ghosh doing while Hema is with Mary and Dr. Stone, and how does he find out about Mary's death?
7. What is Marion's first exposure to violence against a person?
8. What does Hema realize about Mary, and what does Stone do when Mary dies?
9. How does the family receive word about Mebratu's coup and what is the coup like initially?
10. How is Marion responsible for the death of a soldier?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)