|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Sister Mary Praise leave for Africa?
(c) United States.
2. Who gives birth to Genea and Almaz?
(a) Sister Mary.
3. Where does Mary Praise fall asleep while caring for the sick doctor?
(a) Next to his bed.
(b) In the hall outside his door.
(c) On the table in his cabin.
(d) In his bed.
4. How long is Mary Dr. Stone's surgical assistant before she goes into labor to deliver a child?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Three years.
5. What is Marion's life like as a toddler?
(a) Extreme poverty.
(d) Full of love and laughter.
6. What question does Hema ask Stone?
(a) Why he let Patlet operate.
(b) Why Stone did not wait for Hema.
(c) Why there is no extinguisher in the room.
(d) Why Mary was not brought in for prenatal examination.
7. What happens when Mary goes into labor, having hid her pregnancy?
(a) She goes into distress and comes close to death.
(b) She delivers easily.
(c) Dr. Stone becomes happy.
(d) Another doctor, Hema, is brought in to help with the delivery.
8. What is the man running towards the hospital carrying?
(a) A dead child.
(b) A gun.
(c) A large package.
(d) A dead dog.
9. What does Ghosh contemplate at the opening of this chapter?
(a) Sexually-transmitted diseases.
(b) Why humans die.
(c) How his life would be different if he were English.
(d) The existence of God.
10. What has Hema done about the twins?
(a) Has stabilized them.
(b) Has sent them to the morgue.
(c) She has done nothing with them.
(d) Have given them to a nurse.
11. What does Marion realize about Shiva's medical future?
(a) Shiva will probably go to a Western country to practice medicine.
(b) It will be very different from his own.
(c) Shiva will not practice in the medical field.
(d) He does not think about Shiva's medical future.
12. What do the men in a Jeep do?
(a) Arrest Ghosh.
(b) Slam into Ghosh's departing car.
(c) Grab Marion.
(d) Shoot up the hospital's windows.
13. What does Ghosh fear about Hema?
(a) She has moved back to England.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She has moved to the United States.
(d) She has returned married.
14. What happens when an old woman tries to talk to the Emperor?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is given an appointment to talk to an official.
(c) She is invited to sit inside the Rolls.
(d) She is beaten.
15. What does Zemui say when she returns?
(a) The Emperor has gone into exile.
(b) The coup is a success.
(c) Things are much worse than anticipated.
(d) General Mebratu is in hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the person who takes the twins feel about it?
2. What does Shiva do when he sees the father and barefoot girl?
3. What song does Marion remember hearing as he breastfed?
4. What has devastated Mary Praise about the illness?
5. Who is Zemui?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)