|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Indians see on TV that turned them off to the Civil Rights Movement?
2. What did Martin Luther King organize in the spring of 1968?
3. What, according to the author, will happen to America in the end?
4. Among the Sioux in the Dakotas, what was the Sun Dance reinterpreted as?
5. What, according to the author, is welfare designed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the joke about Falling Rocks bridge the racial gap?
2. What is welfare based on?
3. How is teasing used as a teaching tool for Indians and how can it be used as a parenting tool?
4. What is the problem with earmarked money? What is earmarked money?
5. What does the Indian religion require of its followers that is so vastly different from Christian religions?
6. Why have the Indians never been involved with the Civil Rights movement?
7. What does the author think about the Republican political party?
8. What does the author believe that every group must have to become a reality?
9. What happened when the government decided to move the Bureau of Indian Affairs to Health, Education and Welfare?
10. Who is Banyaca and what was his message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has college affected young Indians? Has it done harm, good, or both? How do young Indians view their world differently than older Indians in their tribes?
Essay Topic 2
Is tribal unity an answer for the future? How has tribal unity been successful? What are the problems associated with tribal unity? What needs to happen in the future?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Civil Rights movement and who did it benefit? What role did American Indians play in this movement and how did it affect them?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)