|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the findings of the House Interior Committee headed by Karl Mundt?
2. Why do anthropologists believe Indians drink?
3. What other name is the Dawes Act known by?
4. What is regarded as utter hypocrisy by the Indian people?
5. How long did the Indians have under the Wheeler-Howard Act to make a decision about their reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is paternalism?
2. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
3. According to the author, what European background is the law of the United States built on?
4. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
5. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
6. What are the myths associated with Indian Affairs?
7. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
8. What is the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe known for?
9. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
10. What is the problem with most books about American Indians, according to the author? What do the incorrect portrayals of the Indians do to harm the image of the Indian, and complicate understanding of the people by others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Oliver La Farge and why did he play a role in Indian affairs? How was he helpful to the American Indian? What does the author believe he was after?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the struggle of the American Indian to the African American. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the administrations of President Roosevelt and President Johnson. What advances did the American Indian make during these times?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)