|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did the United States clear the eastern states of the former Indian allies?
2. In the minds of most Indians, what is the best way to eradicate a species?
3. What was the survey of 1086 called?
4. What phrases does Mr. Farb continue to use when talking about Indians?
5. What "Civilized" Tribe is among the poorest people in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did anthropologists find about alcoholism on the reservation? What does the author think of this finding?
2. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
3. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
4. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
5. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
6. What was the Pickering Treaty? Why was it thus named? What was the final outcome of the Pickering Treaty?
7. How did William Zimmerman, Acting Commissioner of Indian Affairs classify existing tribes into categories for Termination?
8. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
9. What criteria, according to the author, do whites use to say that they "understand" Indians?
10. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the hippies take from Indian culture? How did they succeed? How and why did they fail?
Essay Topic 2
How has college affected young Indians? Has it done harm, good, or both? How do young Indians view their world differently than older Indians in their tribes?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Reorganization Act? What did it do for Indians? Why was it so important?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)