|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author believe that America should view the Indian wars of the past?
2. What happened to the oldest treaty between the U.S. and the Seneca tribe?
3. Who did missionaries believe the American Indians were when they connected their religion with the tribes they encountered?
4. What kind of hats to anthropologists wear?
5. What television series began in 1967 that Indians fought to have banned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
2. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
3. What happened to the Seneca Nation of New York?
4. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
5. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
6. What is the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe known for?
7. What is the problem with most books about American Indians, according to the author? What do the incorrect portrayals of the Indians do to harm the image of the Indian, and complicate understanding of the people by others?
8. Why has the Indian Reorganization Act responded so well to fit the European white model?
9. What is paternalism?
10. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Civil Rights movement and who did it benefit? What role did American Indians play in this movement and how did it affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the American Indian with the Jews of Egypt. What are the differences? Similarities? What are they?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author believe that Indians will rule America again at some point? What does white America lack, in his opinion, that will turn the tide of white rule in America?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)