|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How, according to the author, has America always viewed other nations?
2. What "Civilized" Tribe is among the poorest people in America?
3. What has created a feeling of unity among American Indians?
4. What is the main conflict of the Northwestern tribes and the government?
5. How much was the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin awarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the anthropologists stated that the Oglala Sioux need to be warriors, what was really happening to the Oglala Sioux?
2. What is paternalism?
3. How have the workshops offered by anthropologists affected the young Indians?
4. How did William Zimmerman, Acting Commissioner of Indian Affairs classify existing tribes into categories for Termination?
5. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
6. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
7. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
8. What did anthropologists find about alcoholism on the reservation? What does the author think of this finding?
9. What is the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe known for?
10. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author believe that Indians will rule America again at some point? What does white America lack, in his opinion, that will turn the tide of white rule in America?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's opinion of welfare? Does he think it necessary for Indians? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why must the answer to all Indian issues be a single answer? Why can it not be several answers? Explain the movement of the single answer theory and why this has stopped progress.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)