|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did the United States clear the eastern states of the former Indian allies?
2. What, according to the author at the end of chapter 1, should the government do about the Indians?
3. What had Dillon Myer been in charge of during World War II?
4. What television series began in 1967 that Indians fought to have banned?
5. What is the name of the court case that defined American Indian water rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
2. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
3. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
4. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
5. What is the problem with most books about American Indians, according to the author? What do the incorrect portrayals of the Indians do to harm the image of the Indian, and complicate understanding of the people by others?
6. What was the Pickering Treaty? Why was it thus named? What was the final outcome of the Pickering Treaty?
7. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
8. What did anthropologists find about alcoholism on the reservation? What does the author think of this finding?
9. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
10. How did William Zimmerman, Acting Commissioner of Indian Affairs classify existing tribes into categories for Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author believe that Indians will rule America again at some point? What does white America lack, in his opinion, that will turn the tide of white rule in America?
Essay Topic 2
What is Paternalism and how does it relate to the relationship between the American government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs? Is this a relationship that can be altered in the future? How?
Essay Topic 3
Where do the myths about American Indians come from? How are they perpetuated today?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)