|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traditional Republican myth did Watkins insist on regarding the Indians?
2. Like the missionaries, what have anthropologists become intolerably certain of?
3. What French rationalist did the House Interior Committee use as a basis for their study of Indian Affairs?
4. What important work has the American Indian Historical Society of San Francisco done?
5. How much was the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin awarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
2. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
3. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
4. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
5. What was the Pickering Treaty? Why was it thus named? What was the final outcome of the Pickering Treaty?
6. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
7. What are the myths associated with Indian Affairs?
8. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
9. What is the history of the Sioux who lived along the Missouri River?
10. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can laws be open and creative and not restrictive? Give examples? If laws were written in the way, would this benefit all people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the struggle of the American Indian to the African American. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
What did the hippies take from Indian culture? How did they succeed? How and why did they fail?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)