|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traditional Republican myth did Watkins insist on regarding the Indians?
2. Who was asked to testify before the Senate Civil Service Committee in 1947?
3. When the Wheeler-Howard act was passed, what did the Indians experience for the first time in half a century?
4. In the minds of most Indians, what is the best way to eradicate a species?
5. What does the author believe anthropologists should do in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
2. According to the author, what European background is the law of the United States built on?
3. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
4. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
5. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
6. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
7. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
8. What is the problem with most books about American Indians, according to the author? What do the incorrect portrayals of the Indians do to harm the image of the Indian, and complicate understanding of the people by others?
9. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
10. When the anthropologists stated that the Oglala Sioux need to be warriors, what was really happening to the Oglala Sioux?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where do the myths about American Indians come from? How are they perpetuated today?
Essay Topic 2
What is Paternalism and how does it relate to the relationship between the American government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs? Is this a relationship that can be altered in the future? How?
Essay Topic 3
Name three important treaties and two important laws passed that were significant to the lives of American Indians. Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)