|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Dillon Myer been in charge of during World War II?
2. Who signed the original treaties with the Northwest Coast American Indians?
3. What did early treaties allow the tribes to do to white men violating their laws and borders?
4. What political aspirations did the Seneca's accuse the government of having regarding the oldest Indian treaty?
5. What was the decision about the Pottawatomie of Kansas during the time of termination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
2. Describe the treatment of the Choctaws. Why was their treatment worse when compared to other Indian peoples?
3. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
4. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
5. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
6. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
7. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
8. What criteria, according to the author, do whites use to say that they "understand" Indians?
9. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
10. How have the workshops offered by anthropologists affected the young Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can laws be open and creative and not restrictive? Give examples? If laws were written in the way, would this benefit all people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How has college affected young Indians? Has it done harm, good, or both? How do young Indians view their world differently than older Indians in their tribes?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Oliver La Farge and why did he play a role in Indian affairs? How was he helpful to the American Indian? What does the author believe he was after?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)