|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have tribes discovered that they must do to make themselves heard?
2. What does not overlap across state boundaries?
3. What other name is the Dawes Act known by?
4. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
5. What two tribes seem to have traditional Indian values still intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
2. What is the history of the Sioux who lived along the Missouri River?
3. When the anthropologists stated that the Oglala Sioux need to be warriors, what was really happening to the Oglala Sioux?
4. What criteria, according to the author, do whites use to say that they "understand" Indians?
5. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
6. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
7. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
8. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
9. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
10. How did William Zimmerman, Acting Commissioner of Indian Affairs classify existing tribes into categories for Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the early relationship of the whites and Indians? Why was the relationship better then?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Reorganization Act? What did it do for Indians? Why was it so important?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Oliver La Farge and why did he play a role in Indian affairs? How was he helpful to the American Indian? What does the author believe he was after?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)