|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the oldest treaty between the U.S. and the Seneca tribe?
2. Why, according to the author, do anthropologists never carry a writing instrument?
3. What other name is the Wheeler-Howard Act known by?
4. A 1791 Treaty with the Cherokees included what provision?
5. What year did the Congressional policy of termination begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for white American to divide and conquer the Indians?
2. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
3. According to Indian history, when did the reservation system really begin to improve and what happened when it did?
4. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
5. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
6. What is the problem with earmarked money? What is earmarked money?
7. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
8. Who is Banyaca and what was his message?
9. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
10. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
Essay Topic 1
Who was Oliver La Farge and why did he play a role in Indian affairs? How was he helpful to the American Indian? What does the author believe he was after?
Essay Topic 2
Is tribal unity an answer for the future? How has tribal unity been successful? What are the problems associated with tribal unity? What needs to happen in the future?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Civil Rights movement and who did it benefit? What role did American Indians play in this movement and how did it affect them?
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)