|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main conflict of the Northwestern tribes and the government?
2. How did the government get the Klamaths to agree to termination?
3. What two tribes seem to have traditional Indian values still intact?
4. What is the name of the court case that defined American Indian water rights?
5. What was one emphasis outlined in the Termination Act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe known for?
2. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
3. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
4. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
5. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
6. What are the myths associated with Indian Affairs?
7. What happened to the Seneca Nation of New York?
8. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
9. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
10. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Paternalism and how does it relate to the relationship between the American government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs? Is this a relationship that can be altered in the future? How?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Reorganization Act? What did it do for Indians? Why was it so important?
Essay Topic 3
Why must the answer to all Indian issues be a single answer? Why can it not be several answers? Explain the movement of the single answer theory and why this has stopped progress.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)