|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
2. What does the author believe anthropologists should do in the future?
3. What act was passed by the American government in 1934?
4. What was the unfortunate provision in the Wheeler-Howard Act?
5. Who did missionaries believe the American Indians were when they connected their religion with the tribes they encountered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
2. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
3. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
4. Describe the treatment of the Choctaws. Why was their treatment worse when compared to other Indian peoples?
5. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
6. When the anthropologists stated that the Oglala Sioux need to be warriors, what was really happening to the Oglala Sioux?
7. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
8. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
9. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
10. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has college affected young Indians? Has it done harm, good, or both? How do young Indians view their world differently than older Indians in their tribes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author believe that Indians will rule America again at some point? What does white America lack, in his opinion, that will turn the tide of white rule in America?
Essay Topic 3
Where do the myths about American Indians come from? How are they perpetuated today?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)