|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Pyramid Lake Paiutes poor?
2. What provision did Watkins attach to the bill for the Menominee distribution of judgment money?
3. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
4. What principle did the case of Lone Wolf vs. Hitchcock put forth?
5. What other name is the Dawes Act known by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the Indian Reorganization Act responded so well to fit the European white model?
2. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
3. How have the workshops offered by anthropologists affected the young Indians?
4. How did William Zimmerman, Acting Commissioner of Indian Affairs classify existing tribes into categories for Termination?
5. When the anthropologists stated that the Oglala Sioux need to be warriors, what was really happening to the Oglala Sioux?
6. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
7. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
8. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
9. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
10. What was Frank Church's attitude towards the Indian? Why was this line of thought so harmful during the time of Termination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the American Indian with the Jews of Egypt. What are the differences? Similarities? What are they?
Essay Topic 2
What was the early relationship of the whites and Indians? Why was the relationship better then?
Essay Topic 3
What did the hippies take from Indian culture? How did they succeed? How and why did they fail?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)