|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Dillon Myer took over, what was the policy instated from Commissioner to field clerk regarding Indians?
2. What were the findings of the House Interior Committee headed by Karl Mundt?
3. What does not overlap across state boundaries?
4. What does the author believe anthropologists should do in the future?
5. What is the name of the court case that defined American Indian water rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe do?
2. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
3. What is paternalism?
4. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
5. What did anthropologists find about alcoholism on the reservation? What does the author think of this finding?
6. What criteria, according to the author, do whites use to say that they "understand" Indians?
7. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
8. What is the Treaty of August 5, 1826 with the Chippewa tribe known for?
9. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
10. How have the workshops offered by anthropologists affected the young Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the hippies take from Indian culture? How did they succeed? How and why did they fail?
Essay Topic 2
Compare corporations with tribal existence. Why does the author view it as the same? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Civil Rights movement and who did it benefit? What role did American Indians play in this movement and how did it affect them?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)