|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two mainstream American Indian organizations?
2. What political aspirations did the Seneca's accuse the government of having regarding the oldest Indian treaty?
3. What "Civilized" Tribe is among the poorest people in America?
4. What phrases does Mr. Farb continue to use when talking about Indians?
5. What French rationalist did the House Interior Committee use as a basis for their study of Indian Affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the Apache of the Southwest?
2. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
3. What was the Pickering Treaty? Why was it thus named? What was the final outcome of the Pickering Treaty?
4. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
5. What is paternalism?
6. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
7. Why are the American Indians lost when, in Congressional hearings, the chairman of the committee talks about the Anglo-Saxon heritage of law and order?
8. Why has the Indian Reorganization Act responded so well to fit the European white model?
9. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
10. Describe what happens to the Virginia Indians each year at Thanksgiving. What is this in response to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the Christian church affected life on the reservation for Indians? How would the reservations be different today if the Christian church had never come to the reservations?
Essay Topic 2
What is Paternalism and how does it relate to the relationship between the American government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs? Is this a relationship that can be altered in the future? How?
Essay Topic 3
Name three important treaties and two important laws passed that were significant to the lives of American Indians. Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)