|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did the Congressional policy of termination begin?
2. Once Dillon Myer took over, what was the policy instated from Commissioner to field clerk regarding Indians?
3. What were the findings of the House Interior Committee headed by Karl Mundt?
4. What provision did Watkins attach to the bill for the Menominee distribution of judgment money?
5. When does the author believe was the last time that true democracy was alive among Indian tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Termination such a tragedy for the people of the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin?
2. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
3. Why has the Indian Reorganization Act responded so well to fit the European white model?
4. What was the term "dependency," as used in the Delaware Treaty of September 17, 1778?
5. According to the author, what European background is the law of the United States built on?
6. Who did the government go after first during the time of Termination?
7. How have the workshops offered by anthropologists affected the young Indians?
8. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
9. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
10. What did anthropologists find about alcoholism on the reservation? What does the author think of this finding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can laws be open and creative and not restrictive? Give examples? If laws were written in the way, would this benefit all people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the administrations of President Roosevelt and President Johnson. What advances did the American Indian make during these times?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the struggle of the American Indian to the African American. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Give examples.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)