|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author says that whites claim Indian heritage, what side of their family tree do they claim it comes from?
2. What, according to the author, is one of the finest things about being an Indian?
3. What two tribes seem to have traditional Indian values still intact?
4. What is the oldest Indian treaty between the United States and the Seneca tribe?
5. What happened to the oldest treaty between the U.S. and the Seneca tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens every summer with work camps and teenagers? What do the teenagers learn in one month that adults do not understand? What is the author's point about this program?
2. What are the Five Civilized Tribes and why are they referred to in this way?
3. How did Indians become citizens and what effect did this have on Termination?
4. What criteria, according to the author, do whites use to say that they "understand" Indians?
5. In February 1954, approval was granted for Termination of Indians. Why were the four factors, which Zimmerman implemented in 1947 to classify tribal readiness for termination, not used?
6. What is paternalism?
7. Why are hunting and fishing rights important to the Indians of Idaho, Washington and Oregon at the time of this writing?
8. What are the 4 main rules to Rene Descartes' method of research? Was this a good method to examine the lives of Indians for Termination?
9. How does the author describe anthropologists? What is his attitude and tone when discussing this group of people?
10. What was the Pickering Treaty? Why was it thus named? What was the final outcome of the Pickering Treaty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the early relationship of the whites and Indians? Why was the relationship better then?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the struggle of the American Indian to the African American. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the administrations of President Roosevelt and President Johnson. What advances did the American Indian make during these times?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)