|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened during World War II on reservations?
(a) Money increased under Roosevelt and the reservations were well funded.
(b) Indians were drafted and many reservations lost their leaders.
(c) Women took over men's jobs, just like in the rest of the country.
(d) All progress stopped and funds were scarce.
2. How do the Indians control social situations?
3. What, according to the author, will happen to America in the end?
(a) It will be returned to the American Indian.
(b) It will be overrun by other countries.
(c) The land will be owned by non-Americans.
(d) The National Parks will be given away.
4. What was the main goal of the Bureau of Indian Affairs when it was started?
(a) To dirve the Indians to Oklahoma.
(b) To drive the Indians to reservations.
(c) To prevent the extinction of the Indian.
(d) To make sure the Indian became extinct.
5. What favorite hymn surprised old warriors in church?
(a) By the River.
(b) Closer my God to Thee.
(c) Onward Christian Soldiers.
(d) My God is an Awesome God.
6. How many area offices does the Bureau of Indian Affairs have throughout the country?
7. What did Billy Mills do?
(a) He became the first Indian Senator.
(b) He became the first Indian astronaut.
(c) He won the ten thousand meter run at the Olympics.
(d) He was a pole vaulter at the Olympics.
8. Who does the area office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Aberdeen, South Dakota serve?
(a) The tribes of Minnesota and the Great Lakes.
(b) The tribes of the Dakotas and Nebraska.
(c) The tribes of Canada.
(d) The tribes of Kansas.
9. What did the Indians see on TV that turned them off to the Civil Rights Movement?
(a) Malcom X.
(b) The March on Washington.
(c) Martin Luther King.
10. In 1964, what percentage of Indians thought the United States should get out of Vietnam?
(a) 80 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 15 percent.
(d) 85 percent.
11. During the 1950s, where were the Indian Health Services transferred to?
(a) The Department of Commerce.
(b) The Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
(c) The Department of the Interior.
(d) The War Department.
12. What did the white man systematically destroy for the Indians?
(a) Their language.
(b) Their schools.
(c) Their art.
(d) Their culture.
13. How is the top job in the Bureau of Indian Affairs filled?
(a) The person is voted in by the Indians.
(b) By appointment.
(c) The Senate picks the person.
(d) The House picks the person.
14. What did Martin Luther King organize in the spring of 1968?
(a) The Muslim Speaker.
(b) The African American Coalition.
(c) The Indian Reorganization Act.
(d) The Poor People's Campaign.
15. What is the joke about the Bureau of Indian Affairs area office in Portland?
(a) That you need a crane to see into the office.
(b) That the office doesn't exist, it is a mirage.
(c) That Judge Crater and Amelia Earhart were hidden somewhere in the Portland office.
(d) That you have to walk through the paperwork.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Five Civilized Tribes?
2. What, spiritually, was Robert Kennedy?
3. What is the Aberdeen office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs known for?
4. What is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for the area offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
5. What, according to the joke, is a peace treaty?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)