|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provision did Watkins attach to the bill for the Menominee distribution of judgment money?
(a) A provision of termination.
(b) A provision for water rights.
(c) A provision for mineral rights.
(d) A provision for hunting rights.
2. What did Lake Superior hold that the government wanted?
(a) Fishing rights.
(c) Shipping rights.
(d) Copper and other minerals.
3. What other name is the Wheeler-Howard Act known by?
(a) The Cavalry Act.
(b) The Howard- Wheeler Act.
(c) The Reorganization Act of 1934.
(d) The Indian Encampment Act.
4. Who was Arthur Watkins?
(a) President Truman's Chief of Staff.
(b) A poet who wrote about the Indian problems.
(c) A Mormon named as head the Indian subcommittees in the Senate and House.
(d) The chairman appointed to run the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
5. What had Dillon Myer been in charge of during World War II?
(a) The Manhattan Project.
(b) Pearl Harbor security.
(c) Japanese internment camps.
(d) The attack on Tokyo.
6. What is the oldest, continuous Indian-run organization?
(a) The League of American Indian Voters.
(b) The League of Nations, Pan American Indians.
(c) The Women's American Indian League.
(d) The Native American Baseball League.
7. What does an anthropologist come to the reservation to do?
(a) Write down everything they see.
(b) Make observations.
(c) Enjoy the food.
(d) Help the Indians with a building project.
8. What is the purpose of the Oklahoma Original Cherokee Community Organization?
(a) Defending water rights for the Cherokee Nation.
(b) Defending school financing on the Cherokee Reservation.
(c) Defending marriages on the Cherokee Reservation performed by Native American Ministers.
(d) Defending hunting and treaty rights of the Cherokee.
9. Who did missionaries believe the American Indians were when they connected their religion with the tribes they encountered?
(a) The Spanish.
(d) The Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.
10. Once Dillon Myer took over, what was the policy instated from Commissioner to field clerk regarding Indians?
(a) Get rid of them as quickly as possible.
(b) Get them money as quickly as possible.
(c) Get their land as quickly as possible.
(d) Get them health care as quickly as possible.
11. What is the main problem for the Plains Indians?
(a) An inadequate land base that continues to shrink because of land sales.
(b) They spend all day making eagle warbonnets.
(c) They still want to go to war.
(d) They have no water.
12. What did treaties initially do?
(a) They helped establish state lines.
(b) They marked the boundaries between the lands of the Indian nations and the U.S.
(c) They divided the church territories.
(d) They promised ownership of land that still belonged to the French.
13. What television series began in 1967 that Indians fought to have banned?
(a) A series on Custer.
(b) A series on Kennedy.
(c) A series on Davy Crockett.
(d) A series on Lewis and Clark.
14. What other name is the Dawes Act known by?
(a) The Allotment Act.
(b) The Indian Ownership Act.
(c) The Indian Referral Act.
(d) The Peace Act.
15. What did early treaties allow the tribes to do to white men violating their laws and borders?
(a) The tribes could banish them.
(b) The tribes could call for government back-up.
(c) The tribes could punish them.
(d) The tribes could jail them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do anthropologists believe Indians drink?
2. According to the author, for those whites who do not claim Indian heritage, what asset do they have that connects them with American Indians?
3. What does not overlap across state boundaries?
4. What is the name of the court case that defined American Indian water rights?
5. How are the Indians of Canada different from the American Indians?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)