|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lake Superior hold that the government wanted?
(a) Shipping rights.
(b) Copper and other minerals.
(d) Fishing rights.
2. What did one anthropologist admit spending while studying a tribe of less than a 1,000 people?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred and forty thousand dollars.
(c) A million dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
3. Why did the Oglala Sioux become a favorite subject for study by anthropologists?
(a) Because of their unique way of life.
(b) Because of the vibrant present.
(c) Because of the art history.
(d) Because of their romantic past.
4. What other name is the Wheeler-Howard Act known by?
(a) The Indian Encampment Act.
(b) The Reorganization Act of 1934.
(c) The Howard- Wheeler Act.
(d) The Cavalry Act.
5. What, according to the author, did the death of President Kennedy and Sitting Bull have in common?
(a) Both were political assassinations.
(b) Both were done by the same person.
(c) Both were acts of terrorism.
(d) Both were a threat to our society as Americans.
6. What was the decision about the Pottawatomie of Kansas during the time of termination?
(a) To combine them with tribes in Oklahoma.
(b) To get them better hospitals and roads.
(c) Better to have them expire as private citizens than let anyone know how badly they had been treated.
(d) To move them to Missouri.
7. What happened to the oldest treaty between the U.S. and the Seneca tribe?
(a) The government built a dam, which flooded the major part of the Seneca reservation and the treaty was broken.
(b) The government gave the land away after the Civil War to former slaves.
(c) The government passed a new law in 1869 abolishing the treaty.
(d) Nothing, it still exists.
8. How much was the Menominee tribe of Wisconsin awarded?
(a) $2 million.
(b) $500 thousand.
(c) $6 million.
(d) $1.5 million.
9. What phrases does Mr. Farb continue to use when talking about Indians?
(a) Stupid and slow.
(c) Below standard.
(d) Test tubes and living laboratories.
10. What television series began in 1967 that Indians fought to have banned?
(a) A series on Kennedy.
(b) A series on Lewis and Clark.
(c) A series on Custer.
(d) A series on Davy Crockett.
11. What kind of people do anthropologists believe the Indians are?
(a) A folk people.
(b) A white people.
(c) A native people.
(d) A foreign people.
12. What have tribes discovered that they must do to make themselves heard?
(a) Band together.
(b) Start a national newspaper.
(c) Elect their own congress.
(d) Elect their own president.
13. What political aspirations did the Seneca's accuse the government of having regarding the oldest Indian treaty?
(a) President Kennedy needed the land to bargain with the Russians during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
(b) Senator Kennedy wanted to buy the land for his own family.
(c) The dam was part of the price of keeping Pennsylvania in line for John F. Kennedy at the 1960 Democratic Convention.
(d) President Kennedy wanted to add the land to Camp David.
14. A 1791 Treaty with the Cherokees included what provision?
(a) That the cherokee Nation could not hold any treaty with any foreign power.
(b) That the Cherokee Nation could not marry foreigners.
(c) That the Cherokee Nation could not take money from foreign powers.
(d) That the Cherokee Nation could not become French citizens.
15. What principle did the case of Lone Wolf vs. Hitchcock put forth?
(a) That the tribes rent land from the government.
(b) That the tribes have no title to the land at all, only occupancy rights.
(c) That the tribes had titles of ownership to all land.
(d) That the tribes could give their land away if they wished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of Indians did Arthur Watkins target first in his work for the government?
2. Who, according to the author, is at fault for poverty among American Indians?
3. When whites claim Indian heritage, who do they believe was their ancestor?
4. What French rationalist did the House Interior Committee use as a basis for their study of Indian Affairs?
5. What provision did Watkins attach to the bill for the Menominee distribution of judgment money?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)