|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "first" did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 enact?
(a) The first time water was sold by the Indians.
(b) The first time land was returned to the Indians.
(c) The first clear-cut case of fraudulent dealings on part of Congress.
(d) The first time land was sold by the Indians.
2. What did early treaties allow the tribes to do to white men violating their laws and borders?
(a) The tribes could punish them.
(b) The tribes could banish them.
(c) The tribes could call for government back-up.
(d) The tribes could jail them.
3. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
(a) War torn Italy.
(b) Pearl Harbor after the Japanese attack.
(c) Hiroshima after the atomic bomb.
(d) The refugee camps of the Near East after World War II.
4. According to the author, where should the Bureau of Indian Affairs be transferred?
(a) To the Foreign Service Department.
(b) To the Interior Department.
(c) To the War Department.
(d) To the Commerce Department.
5. What was the unfortunate provision in the Wheeler-Howard Act?
(a) The Indians would have to move again and give up more land.
(b) The Indians would have to give up hunting rights.
(c) Once a reservation voted against the acceptance of the provisions of the act, they were forbidden from considering it again.
(d) There was a one year delay on all services while the tribe voted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main problem for the Plains Indians?
2. Who are the Five Civilized Tribes?
3. What French rationalist did the House Interior Committee use as a basis for their study of Indian Affairs?
4. Why are the Pyramid Lake Paiutes poor?
5. When the Wheeler-Howard act was passed, what did the Indians experience for the first time in half a century?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)