|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Department was the Bureau of Indian Affairs transferred to when it opened in 1849?
(a) The War Department.
(b) The Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
(c) The Department of the Interior.
(d) The Department of Commerce.
2. Which group of Indians did Arthur Watkins target first in his work for the government?
(a) The Cheyenne.
(b) Southwest Indians.
(c) Indians east of the Mississippi.
(d) Indians in his home state of Utah.
3. What does the Native American Church use in its sacramental worship life?
(b) The peyote button.
(c) Prayer shawls.
4. What is the reputation of the Bureau of Indian Affairs office in Juneau?
(a) It has the best reputation for service to native peoples of any of the area offices.
(b) It is representative of the people it serves.
(c) It holds fast to fishing rights.
(d) It is run by white men.
5. What were the findings of the House Interior Committee headed by Karl Mundt?
(a) The Wheeler-Howard act was a success.
(b) The Wheeler-Howard act was working well.
(c) The Wheeler-Howard act was not accomplishing the task of bringing the Indian people up to the level of their white neighbors.
(d) The Wheeler-Howard act needed an amendment for money to build new schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, did the death of President Kennedy and Sitting Bull have in common?
2. What French rationalist did the House Interior Committee use as a basis for their study of Indian Affairs?
3. What was the first concern of mission work on the reservation?
4. Why, according to the author, do anthropologists never carry a writing instrument?
5. Who are the Five Civilized Tribes?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)