|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did early treaties allow the tribes to do to white men violating their laws and borders?
(a) The tribes could call for government back-up.
(b) The tribes could banish them.
(c) The tribes could jail them.
(d) The tribes could punish them.
2. What did the Meriam Report of 1928 show?
(a) That Indian tribes were unifying.
(b) That Indian tribes had great schools.
(c) That Indian tribes were flourishing.
(d) That Indian tribes were in the final stages of demise.
3. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
(a) Pearl Harbor after the Japanese attack.
(b) The refugee camps of the Near East after World War II.
(c) War torn Italy.
(d) Hiroshima after the atomic bomb.
4. What was the unfortunate provision in the Wheeler-Howard Act?
(a) Once a reservation voted against the acceptance of the provisions of the act, they were forbidden from considering it again.
(b) The Indians would have to give up hunting rights.
(c) There was a one year delay on all services while the tribe voted.
(d) The Indians would have to move again and give up more land.
5. How did Utah get the Indians in their state to agree to termination?
(a) They offered them money in return for termination.
(b) They tripled their land mass.
(c) They told the Indians that the state would be running their services and it would be more efficient.
(d) Utah promised them recognition by the federal government of their tribal marriages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have tribes discovered that they must do to make themselves heard?
2. By 1943, what was the Senate Interior Committee convinced should happen?
3. Who was Arthur Watkins?
4. When the frontier was closed in 1890, what did American enter into next?
5. Who did missionaries believe the American Indians were when they connected their religion with the tribes they encountered?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)