|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the author, did the white man discover that the American Indians still owned of value?
(d) 135 million acres of land.
2. When does the author believe was the last time that true democracy was alive among Indian tribes?
(c) Pre-Columbian days.
(d) The 1960s.
3. What principle did the case of Lone Wolf vs. Hitchcock put forth?
(a) That the tribes could give their land away if they wished.
(b) That the tribes had titles of ownership to all land.
(c) That the tribes rent land from the government.
(d) That the tribes have no title to the land at all, only occupancy rights.
4. What "first" did the Treaty of August 5, 1826 enact?
(a) The first time land was returned to the Indians.
(b) The first clear-cut case of fraudulent dealings on part of Congress.
(c) The first time water was sold by the Indians.
(d) The first time land was sold by the Indians.
5. What is the best way for tribes to handle their reservation conflicts?
(a) In traditional Indian fashion.
(b) With outside help.
(c) With government intervention.
(d) With new rules established by white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to most of the treaties in the far west of the country?
2. When Watkins visited the Menominee, what did he compare the living conditions to?
3. Who is Frank Takes Gun?
4. What favorite hymn surprised old warriors in church?
5. Who signed the original treaties with the Northwest Coast American Indians?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)