|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If the accused character is found to be pregnant, how long will she be spared?
2. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
3. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
4. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
5. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
Essay Topic 1
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in the play, like Parris are extremely concerned about their reputation. To what extent are we all just victims of reputation? How do labels and the society around us affect our behavior and the way we see ourselves? Is this natural human focus on reputation a benefit or a disadvantage or both?
Essay Topic 3
Feelings of guilt affect Proctor and the story tremendously. Which other characters are driven to act or not act according to feelings of guilt? To what extent is guilt more powerful than blame?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)