|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
2. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
3. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John's infidelity?
4. Which male character is arrested at the end of Act 3?
5. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
Essay Topic 1
When there is power, there is often corruption. Yet there are different kinds of power. Choose from the following characters and show to what extent he or she had power and then to what extent he or she abused that power: Abigail, Mary Warren, Tituba, Parris, Danforth, Hale. Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
How is witchcraft viewed in modern society? Compare and contrast the witches in the Crucible to a modern "witch." The student can use characters from movies, fiction, non-fiction, and television shows in his/her answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mary had a chance to make things right in court, but she crumbles under pressure. Why did she have a hard time fainting for the judge? How might she rationalize her behavior? Or did she really think she was bewitched by Abigail? Or, was she just too scared to stand up for the truth?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)