|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
2. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
3. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
4. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
5. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
2. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
3. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
4. Why won't Danforth just pardon Rebecca Nurse?
5. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
6. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
7. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
8. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
9. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
10. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When there is power, there is often corruption. Yet there are different kinds of power. Choose from the following characters and show to what extent he or she had power and then to what extent he or she abused that power: Abigail, Mary Warren, Tituba, Parris, Danforth, Hale. Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Abigail may be considered an unlikable character. But some would argue that she acted badly due to a lack of love and guidance. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Is Abigail a true villain, or merely a victim of circumstance?
Essay Topic 3
How is witchcraft viewed in modern society? Compare and contrast the witches in the Crucible to a modern "witch." The student can use characters from movies, fiction, non-fiction, and television shows in his/her answer.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)