|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
2. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
3. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
4. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
5. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Elizabeth wants Proctor to have a chance to forgive himself. She has already forgiven him. What other characters could benefit from acts of forgiveness? How might it have changed the way things turned out? Could forgiveness change our modern world? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Mary had a chance to make things right in court, but she crumbles under pressure. Why did she have a hard time fainting for the judge? How might she rationalize her behavior? Or did she really think she was bewitched by Abigail? Or, was she just too scared to stand up for the truth?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in the play, like Parris are extremely concerned about their reputation. To what extent are we all just victims of reputation? How do labels and the society around us affect our behavior and the way we see ourselves? Is this natural human focus on reputation a benefit or a disadvantage or both?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)