|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the clerk of the court?
2. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
3. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
4. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
5. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is witchcraft viewed in modern society? Compare and contrast the witches in the Crucible to a modern "witch." The student can use characters from movies, fiction, non-fiction, and television shows in his/her answer.
Essay Topic 2
One great thing about this play is that the characters are not simplistic. They are not all either good or evil, black or white. There are shades of gray. Students will choose their favorite character and compare his or her qualities, then decide whether he or she is mostly a "good guy" or mostly a villain. Then use specific examples to support each claim. Remind students: don't forget to address counter-arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When there is power, there is often corruption. Yet there are different kinds of power. Choose from the following characters and show to what extent he or she had power and then to what extent he or she abused that power: Abigail, Mary Warren, Tituba, Parris, Danforth, Hale. Use specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)