|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
2. Who is worried that Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor will be executed?
3. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
4. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
5. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
2. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
3. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
4. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
5. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
6. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
7. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
8. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
9. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
10. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feelings of guilt affect Proctor and the story tremendously. Which other characters are driven to act or not act according to feelings of guilt? To what extent is guilt more powerful than blame?
Essay Topic 2
Some compare the witch hunts of Salem to the McCarthy trials in the '50s. Has this type of hysteria happened again since? Could it happen in the future? Provide specific examples and support for all claims.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the victims accused of witchcraft in this play are women. Women are often associated with witchcraft more than men in movies and books as well. What are the political, social, or other reasons for this? To what extent is this a positive or a negative gender connection? Use specific examples to explain and support all claims.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)