|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
2. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
3. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
4. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
2. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
3. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
4. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
5. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
6. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
7. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
8. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
9. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
10. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail may be considered an unlikable character. But some would argue that she acted badly due to a lack of love and guidance. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Is Abigail a true villain, or merely a victim of circumstance?
Essay Topic 2
Select one character and analyze how the theme of blame and guilt applies to that character.
Essay Topic 3
How is witchcraft viewed in modern society? Compare and contrast the witches in the Crucible to a modern "witch." The student can use characters from movies, fiction, non-fiction, and television shows in his/her answer.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)