|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
2. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
3. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
4. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
5. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important lesson to be learned from this play? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Feelings of guilt affect Proctor and the story tremendously. Which other characters are driven to act or not act according to feelings of guilt? To what extent is guilt more powerful than blame?
Essay Topic 3
Abigail was a servant and Tituba a slave. Yet, by the end of the play both young women wield a great deal of power. Consider other events in American history when formerly repressed groups quickly take on power. What are the similarities/difference? How is power gained and lost so easily? To what extent does guilt and blame play a role?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)