|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
2. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
3. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
4. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
5. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
2. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
3. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
4. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
5. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
6. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
7. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
8. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
9. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
10. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some compare the witch hunts of Salem to the McCarthy trials in the '50s. Has this type of hysteria happened again since? Could it happen in the future? Provide specific examples and support for all claims.
Essay Topic 2
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
How does a character's socio-economic status affect him or her in terms of accusation and execution for witchcraft? Choose two characters with different socio-economic status and compare and contrast their fate within the story. To what extent does this difference in treatment exist today?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)