|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(d) Mr. Putnam.
2. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
3. Which character is pregnant?
(a) Mary Warren.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
4. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to shiver.
(b) Pretend to be bewitched.
(c) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(d) Pretend to faint.
5. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says they are guilty and must die.
(b) He says they must confess first.
(c) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(d) He says he doesn't have the power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
2. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
3. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
4. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
5. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
2. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
3. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
4. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
5. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
6. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
7. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
8. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
9. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
10. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)