|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
(a) Mary Warren.
(b) Mercy Lewis.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) John Proctor.
2. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
(a) Waiting for a visit from Abigail.
(b) Waiting for the devil to fly them to Barbados.
(c) Waiting for the jailer to set them free.
(d) Waiting for Hale to bless them.
3. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(b) He says they must confess first.
(c) He says they are guilty and must die.
(d) He says he doesn't have the power.
4. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The people on the list are all witches.
(b) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
(c) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
(d) The defendants don't have proper representation.
5. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
Short Answer Questions
1. Danforth asks John Proctor if he has seen Rebecca Nurse with someone. Who is it?
2. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
3. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
4. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
5. Who is the clerk of the court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
2. Why won't Danforth just pardon Rebecca Nurse?
3. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
4. What do we learn about Abigail in Act 4?
5. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
6. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
7. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
8. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
9. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
10. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)