|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Giles Corey's final words?
(a) "Forgive me."
(b) "More weight."
(c) "She lies."
(d) "More life."
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He was late for dinner.
(b) He gave Abigail a gift.
(c) He was alone with Abigail.
(d) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
3. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to faint.
(b) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(c) Pretend to be bewitched.
(d) Pretend to shiver.
4. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may try to kill more witches.
(b) The people may not pay their taxes.
(c) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(d) The people may leave Salem.
5. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of having an affair with his wife.
(b) Of using the trial to get land.
(c) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(d) Of using the trial to scare children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is incriminating about the doll found in John Proctor's house toward the end of Act 2?
2. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
3. What does Cheever accuse John Proctor of doing on the Sabbath?
4. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
5. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
2. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
3. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
4. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
5. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
6. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
7. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
8. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
9. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
10. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)