|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(b) Goody Osbourne.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Sarah Good.
2. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mercy Lewis.
(c) Mary Warren.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
3. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
(b) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(c) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(d) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
4. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) A kettle with a frog in it.
(b) An arrest warrant.
(c) The deed to Parris' house.
(d) A signed deposition.
5. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
2. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
3. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
4. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
5. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
2. In Act 2, what is Elizabeth Proctor accused of doing to Abigail?
3. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
4. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
5. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
6. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
7. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
8. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
9. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
10. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)