|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
(a) Trying to convince the girls to try to escape with him.
(b) Trying to get the girls to come back to the trials with him.
(c) Trying to convince the girls to admit they lied.
(d) Trying to get the girls to confess to save them from execution.
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
(a) She doesn't care about the affair.
(b) She believes that Abigail put a spell on her husband.
(c) She is protecting her husband's reputation.
(d) She doesn't know about the affair.
3. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
4. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
5. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
2. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John's infidelity?
3. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
5. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
2. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
3. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
4. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
5. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
6. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
7. What do we learn about Abigail in Act 4?
8. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
9. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
10. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)