|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He gave Abigail a gift.
(b) He was alone with Abigail.
(c) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
(d) He was late for dinner.
2. Why does Giles lose his case accusing Mr. Putnam of making a land grab?
(a) He has been bewitched.
(b) He doesn't have any evidence.
(c) He refuses to identify his witness.
(d) His witnesses are too scared to testify.
3. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Three hundred pounds.
(b) Thirty-one pounds.
(c) Thirty pounds.
(d) Thirty-three pounds.
4. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is filthy.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is depressed.
5. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
2. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
3. What were Giles Corey's final words?
4. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
5. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
2. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
3. In Act 2, what is Elizabeth Proctor accused of doing to Abigail?
4. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
5. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
6. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
7. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
8. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
9. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
10. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)