|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
2. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
(b) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(c) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
(d) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He was alone with Abigail.
(b) He was late for dinner.
(c) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
(d) He gave Abigail a gift.
4. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
5. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) Shopping in a nearby city.
(b) Hiding in the cellar.
(c) Dancing in the forest.
(d) In town at the witch trials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
2. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
3. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
4. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
5. How was Giles Corey tortured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
2. Why won't Danforth just pardon Rebecca Nurse?
3. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
4. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
5. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
6. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
7. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
8. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
9. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
10. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)