|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
2. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
3. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
(b) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(c) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(d) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
4. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
(a) Thou shalt not commit adultery.
(b) Thou shalt not covet.
(c) Thou shalt not kill.
(d) Honor thy mother and father.
5. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
(a) Pay his bail.
(b) Sign his name on the confession.
(c) Give up his land.
(d) Ask for forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
2. Who is the clerk of the court?
3. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
4. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
5. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
2. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
3. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
4. Why won't Danforth just pardon Rebecca Nurse?
5. In Act 2, what is Elizabeth Proctor accused of doing to Abigail?
6. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
7. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
8. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
9. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
10. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)