|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The defendants don't have proper representation.
(b) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
(c) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
(d) The people on the list are all witches.
2. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(b) That his wife reads books.
(c) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(d) That his wife has been dancing.
3. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may try to kill more witches.
(b) The people may not pay their taxes.
(c) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(d) The people may leave Salem.
4. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
(a) Marshall Herrick.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
5. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) Never to talk to Abigail again.
(b) To bring her home soon.
(c) To take care of Mary.
(d) Not to drink too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mary Warren?
2. What do Abigail and the girls do to scare Mary into denouncing John Proctor?
3. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
4. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
5. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
2. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
3. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
4. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
5. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
6. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
7. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
8. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
9. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
10. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)