|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(b) Goody Osbourne.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Sarah Good.
2. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(b) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(c) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(d) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
3. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
(a) She is having an affair.
(b) She is really a witch.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She planned to leave John Proctor.
4. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife reads books.
(b) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(c) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(d) That his wife has been dancing.
5. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
(c) Marshall Herrick.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
2. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
4. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
5. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
2. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
3. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
4. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
5. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
6. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
7. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
8. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
9. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
10. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)