|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
2. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
(a) He is stressed out.
(b) He feels guilty.
(c) He is old and forgetful.
(d) He is uncomfortable saying them in front of Hale.
3. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(b) Pretend to shiver.
(c) Pretend to faint.
(d) Pretend to be bewitched.
4. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(b) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(c) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(d) He won't confess out of spite.
5. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
(a) Mary Warren.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is incriminating about the doll found in John Proctor's house toward the end of Act 2?
2. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
3. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
4. According to Parris, how many days per month does John Proctor attend church?
5. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
2. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
3. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
4. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
5. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
6. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
7. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
8. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
9. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
10. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)