|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(b) Of using the trial to get land.
(c) Of using the trial to scare children.
(d) Of having an affair with his wife.
2. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(b) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
3. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of Giles Corey.
(b) The murder of the Putnam children.
(c) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
4. Which character is pregnant?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Mary Warren.
5. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John's infidelity?
(a) She says she wasn't home enough.
(b) She says she wasn't pretty enough.
(c) She says that she hired Abigail.
(d) She says she was frigid toward him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
3. What do Abigail and the girls do to scare Mary into denouncing John Proctor?
4. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
5. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
2. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
3. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
4. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
5. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
6. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
7. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
8. What do we learn about Abigail in Act 4?
9. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
10. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)