|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(a) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
(a) She is protecting her husband's reputation.
(b) She doesn't know about the affair.
(c) She doesn't care about the affair.
(d) She believes that Abigail put a spell on her husband.
3. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
4. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
5. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) Hiding in the cellar.
(b) In town at the witch trials.
(c) Shopping in a nearby city.
(d) Dancing in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
2. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
3. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
4. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
5. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hale is suspicious of John Proctor's religious commitment. Why?
2. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
3. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
4. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
5. What do we learn about Abigail in Act 4?
6. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
7. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
8. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
9. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
10. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)