|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
2. What does Cheever accuse John Proctor of doing on the Sabbath?
3. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(b) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(c) He won't confess out of spite.
(d) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
4. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to faint.
(b) Pretend to be bewitched.
(c) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(d) Pretend to shiver.
5. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(b) Of having an affair with his wife.
(c) Of using the trial to get land.
(d) Of using the trial to scare children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
2. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
3. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
4. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
5. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
2. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
3. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
4. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
5. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
6. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
7. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
8. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
9. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
10. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)