|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(b) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(c) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(d) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
2. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
(a) The deed to Parris' house.
(b) The arrest warrant.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) A love note from Abigail.
3. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
(a) Waiting for the jailer to set them free.
(b) Waiting for Hale to bless them.
(c) Waiting for a visit from Abigail.
(d) Waiting for the devil to fly them to Barbados.
4. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Three hundred pounds.
(b) Thirty pounds.
(c) Thirty-one pounds.
(d) Thirty-three pounds.
5. What are the farmers fighting over when Parris is trying to help them?
(a) Whether it will rain or not.
(b) Who owns the land.
(c) Seed prices.
(d) Wandering livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
2. What is Martha Corey accused of?
3. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
4. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
5. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
2. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
3. What commandment does John Proctor forget and why?
4. Describe Tituba's state of mind at the opening of Act 4.
5. What do we learn about Abigail in Act 4?
6. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
7. Why won't Danforth just pardon Rebecca Nurse?
8. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
9. Elizabeth is worried that Abigail will do something and she turns out to be right. What is it?
10. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)