|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
2. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Whip her.
(b) Fire her.
(c) Ground her.
(d) Kill her.
3. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Salem's false piety.
(b) A well she fell into when she was little.
(c) Her moral shackles.
(d) Work as a servant.
4. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert at exorcism.
(b) He is an expert in child psychology.
(c) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(d) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
5. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A spell cast by the devil.
(b) A childish fit.
(c) A mild sore throat.
(d) A serious flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
2. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
3. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
4. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
5. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
2. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
3. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
4. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
5. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
6. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
7. To what extent is Betty really sick?
8. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
9. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
10. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)