|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
2. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
3. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Six pounds.
4. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mr. Putnam.
5. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) John Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
2. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
3. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
4. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
5. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
2. Why does Elizabeth lie when asked about her husband's relationship with Abigail?
3. Danforth asks Mary to do something to prove that she was faking with the other girls. What is it and does she do it?
4. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
5. Why doesn't Hale believe John Proctor when he tells Hale that Abigail admitted they were just dancing and not practicing any witchcraft?
6. To what extent is Betty really sick?
7. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
8. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
9. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
10. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)