|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
2. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She spilled wine on the table.
(b) She left the house without permission.
(c) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(d) She ate the last piece of bread.
3. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Organizes them.
(b) Stacks them.
(c) Reads them again.
(d) Hides them.
4. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(b) John Proctor.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
5. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
(b) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
(c) Issues a death warrant.
(d) Sends Parris to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
2. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
3. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
4. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
5. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
2. Is Parris really living in poverty?
3. Describe John Proctor.
4. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
5. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
6. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
7. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
8. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
9. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
10. To what extent is Betty really sick?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)