|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
(a) Say his prayers.
(b) eat his dinner.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Finish his work.
2. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
3. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(b) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
(c) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(d) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
4. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(b) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
5. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Drinking blood.
(b) Chopping firewood.
(c) Dancing with them.
(d) Waving her hands over the fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this play take place?
2. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
3. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
4. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
5. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
2. John Proctor will confess verbally, but won't sign the confession. Why?
3. Why doesn't John Proctor want to go to the trials and show that Abigail is lying?
4. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
5. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
6. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
7. What is the theme of the epilogue?
8. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
9. John Proctor brings a long list of witnesses to attest to the fact that his wife and others never associated with the devil. Why is this list not helpful?
10. To what extent is Betty really sick?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)