|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Stacks them.
(b) Organizes them.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Reads them again.
2. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to give her money.
(b) She wants to continue the affair.
(c) She wants him to kill his wife.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
3. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
(a) Parris says he saw something moving in the kettle.
(b) Parris says he saw a naked figure disappear into the forest.
(c) Mrs. Putnam says Sarah Good was her midwife.
(d) Mrs. Putnam says seven of her children died at birth.
4. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She sneezed.
(b) She screamed.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She coughed.
5. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
2. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
3. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. How old is Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
2. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
3. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
4. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
5. Is Parris really living in poverty?
6. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
7. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
8. To what extent is Betty really sick?
9. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
10. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)