|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(b) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(c) Mary and Mercy.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
2. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
(d) John Proctor.
3. Who is the Putnams' servant?
4. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
5. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
2. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
3. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
4. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
Short Essay Questions
1. The town of Salem isn't doing well. What are some examples of how bad things have gotten since the trials?
2. In nearby Andover, the courts were overthrown and now Parris wants Danforth to delay any more trials. What is he worried about?
3. What is the reason for the epilogue?
4. Who is the only person that cares that John Proctor and Giles don't have lawyers? Why is he concerned?
5. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
6. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
7. Toward the end of Act 3, John Proctor finally attacks Abigail physically in court. What sends him over the edge?
8. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
9. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
10. What is rumored to have happened to Abigail since she ran away?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)