|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(c) The devil.
(d) Her dead mother.
2. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
(a) Mrs. Putnam says seven of her children died at birth.
(b) Mrs. Putnam says Sarah Good was her midwife.
(c) Parris says he saw a naked figure disappear into the forest.
(d) Parris says he saw something moving in the kettle.
3. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(b) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(c) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(d) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
4. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) John Proctor.
5. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(b) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(c) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(d) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
2. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
3. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
4. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
5. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
2. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
3. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
4. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
5. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
6. To what extent is Betty really sick?
7. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
8. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
9. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
10. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)