|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(b) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(c) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(d) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
2. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(b) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(c) She accuses him of hitting her.
(d) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
3. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
4. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) John Proctor.
5. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants to continue the affair.
(b) She wants him to give her money.
(c) She wants him to kill his wife.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
2. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
3. Where are Abigail's parents?
4. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
5. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
2. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
3. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
4. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
5. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
6. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
7. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
8. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
9. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
10. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)