|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
2. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The den.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
3. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Mary and Mercy.
(b) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(c) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
4. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
(a) Abigail is his adopted daughter.
(b) Abigail is his cousin.
(c) Abigail is his neice.
(d) Abigail is his little sister.
5. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
2. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
3. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
4. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
5. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
2. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
3. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
4. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
5. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
6. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
7. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
8. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
9. Is Parris really living in poverty?
10. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)