|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
2. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Giles Corey.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
3. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
(a) A long rope.
(b) Heavy books.
(c) A cane.
(d) Two suitcases.
4. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
(a) Mr. Putnam and Parris.
(b) Mr. Putnam and John Proctor.
(c) Cheever and Danforth.
(d) Giles and John Proctor.
5. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
2. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
3. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
4. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
5. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
2. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
3. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
4. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
5. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
6. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
7. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
8. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
9. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
10. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)