|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
(a) Take her clothes off.
(c) Drink blood.
(d) Run away from home.
2. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(b) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(c) His wife has stopped talking.
(d) His wife reads a lot of books.
3. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be drowned.
(b) They will be burned at the stake.
(c) They will be grounded.
(d) They will be hanged.
4. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Clothing and shelter.
(b) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(c) Food and water.
(d) Money and fame.
5. Where does this play take place?
(a) Salem, Oregon.
(b) Salem, Massachussetts.
(c) Salem, New Hampshire.
(d) Salem, Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
2. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
3. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
4. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what extent is Betty really sick?
2. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
3. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
4. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
5. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
6. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
7. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
8. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
9. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
10. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)