|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in child psychology.
(c) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(d) He is an expert at exorcism.
2. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
(a) Two suitcases.
(b) A long rope.
(c) A cane.
(d) Heavy books.
3. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to leave.
(b) He threatens to sue.
(c) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(d) He threatens to kill Parris.
4. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
5. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The living room.
(c) The den.
(d) The parlor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Abigail's parents?
2. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
3. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
4. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
5. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
2. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
3. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
4. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
5. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
6. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
7. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
8. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
9. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
10. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)