|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(b) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(c) His wife reads a lot of books.
(d) His wife has stopped talking.
2. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Mary and Mercy.
(b) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(c) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
3. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Whip her.
(b) Ground her.
(c) Fire her.
(d) Kill her.
4. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Parris.
(d) Mr. Corey.
5. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Waving her hands over the fire.
(b) Chopping firewood.
(c) Dancing with them.
(d) Drinking blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
3. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
4. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
5. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
2. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
3. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
4. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
5. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
6. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
7. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
8. Describe John Proctor.
9. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
10. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)