|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
(a) Mrs. Putnam says Sarah Good was her midwife.
(b) Mrs. Putnam says seven of her children died at birth.
(c) Parris says he saw something moving in the kettle.
(d) Parris says he saw a naked figure disappear into the forest.
2. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
(b) Sends Parris to jail.
(c) Issues a death warrant.
(d) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
3. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She ate the last piece of bread.
(b) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(c) She left the house without permission.
(d) She spilled wine on the table.
4. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
5. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Bridget Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
2. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
3. Where does this play take place?
4. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
2. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
3. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
4. Describe John Proctor.
5. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
6. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
7. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
8. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
9. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
10. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)