|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Bridget Bishop.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
2. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife reads a lot of books.
(b) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(c) His wife has stopped talking.
(d) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
3. Who is the Putnams' servant?
4. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(b) She accuses him of hitting her.
(c) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(d) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
5. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(b) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(c) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Mary and Mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
2. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
3. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
4. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
5. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
2. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
3. Describe John Proctor.
4. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
5. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
6. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
7. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
8. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
9. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
10. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)