Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
(b) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(c) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(d) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
2. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of hitting her.
(b) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(c) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(d) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
3. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
(b) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(c) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(d) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
4. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
5. What does Betty wake from her trance to do?
(a) Sings a psalm.
(b) Scream and writhes.
(c) Drink a glass of water.
(d) Add more names to the list.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
2. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
3. Who is the Putnams' servant?
4. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
5. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Parris visits the prison, he appears tired and stressed out. Why?
2. Why is Danforth suspicious of Hale?
3. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
4. What is the reason for the epilogue?
5. In March 1712, what happened to those who were excommunicated from the church?
6. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
7. What did the government do twenty years after the trials?
8. Describe John Proctor.
9. What happened to Parris after the trials?
10. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)