|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Sends Parris to jail.
(b) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
(c) Issues a death warrant.
(d) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
3. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mr. Corey.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) Mr. Parris.
4. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
5. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(b) Apple cider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
2. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
3. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
4. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
5. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
2. What will happen to Elizabeth now that she might be pregnant?
3. In March 1712, what happened to those who were excommunicated from the church?
4. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
5. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
6. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
7. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
8. What is the theme of the epilogue?
9. What did the government do twenty years after the trials?
10. Why is John Proctor angry at Mary Warren?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)