|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Clothing and shelter.
(d) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
3. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
4. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Mercy Lewis.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
5. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
2. Where are Abigail's parents?
3. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
4. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
5. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
2. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
3. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
4. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
5. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
6. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
7. Is Parris really living in poverty?
8. To what extent is Betty really sick?
9. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
10. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)