|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Bridget Bishop.
2. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Ten pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Six pounds.
3. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in child psychology.
(c) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(d) He is an expert at exorcism.
4. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(b) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(c) His wife has stopped talking.
(d) His wife reads a lot of books.
5. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(b) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
(c) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(d) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
2. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
3. How old is Abigail?
4. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
5. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
2. Describe John Proctor.
3. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
4. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
5. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
6. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
7. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
8. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
9. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
10. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)