|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(b) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(c) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(d) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
2. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Voting means more in a farming community.
(b) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(c) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(d) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
3. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
(a) She says Elizabeth Proctor wanted her to do the work of a slave.
(b) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her.
(c) She says John Proctor was unhappy with her cooking.
(d) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her cooking.
4. Who is the Putnams' servant?
5. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A sinner.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A liar.
(d) A whiner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
2. What does Betty wake from her trance to do?
3. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
4. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
5. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
2. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
3. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
4. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
5. To what extent is Betty really sick?
6. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
7. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
8. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
9. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
10. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)