|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
(b) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
(c) Parris asked for extra firewood.
(d) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
2. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A sinner.
(c) A liar.
(d) A whiner.
3. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The living room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The den.
4. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
5. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(b) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(d) Mary and Mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
2. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
3. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
4. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
5. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
2. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
3. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
4. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
5. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
6. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
7. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
8. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
9. To what extent is Betty really sick?
10. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)