|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(b) The devil.
(d) Her dead mother.
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
3. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
4. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(a) Apple cider.
5. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She left the house without permission.
(b) She ate the last piece of bread.
(c) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(d) She spilled wine on the table.
6. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Giles Corey.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
7. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(b) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(c) She accuses him of hitting her.
(d) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
8. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Ground her.
(b) Whip her.
(c) Fire her.
(d) Kill her.
9. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
10. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Voting means more in a farming community.
(b) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(c) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(d) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
11. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A sinner.
(c) A liar.
(d) A whiner.
12. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(b) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(c) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(d) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
13. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) A well she fell into when she was little.
(b) Her moral shackles.
(c) Salem's false piety.
(d) Work as a servant.
14. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(d) Supernatural causes.
15. How old is Abigail?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
2. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
3. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
4. Who is the Putnams' servant?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)