|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Clothing and shelter.
(b) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(c) Money and fame.
(d) Food and water.
2. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) A doll.
(b) A dress.
(c) A knife.
(d) An apple.
3. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He argues with his wife a lot.
(b) He sends her love letters.
(c) He looks up at her bedroom window.
(d) He made her a necklace.
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Leading a faction against him.
(b) Mistreating Abigail.
(c) Being a heretic.
(d) Stealing his firewood.
5. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
6. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
7. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Waving her hands over the fire.
(b) Drinking blood.
(c) Dancing with them.
(d) Chopping firewood.
8. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
9. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She sneezed.
(b) She laughed.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She coughed.
10. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
(a) Giles Corey.
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
11. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has stopped talking.
(b) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(c) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(d) His wife reads a lot of books.
12. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
(a) Wash the dishes.
(b) eat his dinner.
(c) Say his prayers.
(d) Finish his work.
13. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
14. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to kill Parris.
(b) He threatens to leave.
(c) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(d) He threatens to sue.
15. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(c) Supernatural causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
2. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
3. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
4. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
5. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)