|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(b) Voting means more in a farming community.
(c) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(d) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
2. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
3. How old is Abigail?
4. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) Her dead mother.
(d) The devil.
5. Who is the Putnams' servant?
6. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
(a) Abigail is his cousin.
(b) Abigail is his neice.
(c) Abigail is his adopted daughter.
(d) Abigail is his little sister.
7. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(c) Supernatural causes.
8. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Organizes them.
(b) Stacks them.
(c) Reads them again.
(d) Hides them.
9. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
(b) He says he has too much work to do.
(c) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
(d) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
10. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
11. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(d) Apple cider.
12. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
(a) eat his dinner.
(b) Wash the dishes.
(c) Finish his work.
(d) Say his prayers.
13. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to rehire her.
(b) She wants him to kill his wife.
(c) She wants to continue the affair.
(d) She wants him to give her money.
14. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of hitting her.
(b) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(c) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(d) She accuses him of being mean to her.
15. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Being a heretic.
(b) Stealing his firewood.
(c) Leading a faction against him.
(d) Mistreating Abigail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
2. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
3. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
4. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
5. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)