|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will run away.
(b) She will tell on them.
(c) She will kill them.
(d) She will beat them.
2. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
3. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(b) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(c) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(d) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
4. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Reads them again.
(b) Stacks them.
(c) Organizes them.
(d) Hides them.
5. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
6. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She sneezed.
(c) She coughed.
(d) She screamed.
7. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(b) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail is hitting him.
(d) Abigail is throwing things at him.
8. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
9. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A mild sore throat.
(b) A spell cast by the devil.
(c) A serious flu.
(d) A childish fit.
10. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
11. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
(a) John Proctor.
12. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
13. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(b) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(c) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(d) She is asked to close the door behind her.
14. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(b) Clothing and shelter.
(c) Food and water.
(d) Money and fame.
15. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He sends her love letters.
(b) He argues with his wife a lot.
(c) He made her a necklace.
(d) He looks up at her bedroom window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
2. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
3. How old is Abigail?
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
5. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)