|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
(a) Heavy books.
(b) A long rope.
(c) A cane.
(d) Two suitcases.
2. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
(a) Sarah was the midwife of three of her children.
(b) Sarah was the midwife of five of her children.
(c) Sarah was the midwife of four of her children.
(d) Sarah was the midwife of six of her children.
3. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants to continue the affair.
(b) She wants him to give her money.
(c) She wants him to kill his wife.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Leading a faction against him.
(b) Stealing his firewood.
(c) Mistreating Abigail.
(d) Being a heretic.
5. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A serious flu.
(b) A spell cast by the devil.
(c) A childish fit.
(d) A mild sore throat.
6. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
7. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
8. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
9. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
10. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
(a) Drink blood.
(b) Take her clothes off.
(d) Run away from home.
11. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
(b) He says he has too much work to do.
(c) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
(d) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
12. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
(a) The living room.
(b) The parlor.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The den.
13. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be drowned.
(b) They will be burned at the stake.
(c) They will be grounded.
(d) They will be hanged.
14. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
15. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Six pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
2. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
3. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
4. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
5. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)