|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be grounded.
(b) They will be hanged.
(c) They will be drowned.
(d) They will be burned at the stake.
2. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
3. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(b) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(c) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(d) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
4. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
5. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
6. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
7. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will run away.
(b) She will beat them.
(c) She will kill them.
(d) She will tell on them.
8. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(b) Supernatural causes.
9. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Salem's false piety.
(b) Work as a servant.
(c) Her moral shackles.
(d) A well she fell into when she was little.
10. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Three pounds.
(b) Six pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
11. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(c) Her dead mother.
(d) The devil.
12. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
(b) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(c) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
(d) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
13. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
(a) Make Abigail drink blood.
(b) Kill Sarah Good.
(c) Kill Parris.
(d) Dance around the fire.
14. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(b) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(c) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(d) She accuses him of hitting her.
15. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this play take place?
2. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
3. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
4. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
5. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)