|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to rehire her.
(b) She wants him to give her money.
(c) She wants him to kill his wife.
(d) She wants to continue the affair.
2. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Organizes them.
(b) Hides them.
(c) Reads them again.
(d) Stacks them.
3. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) A dress.
(b) A knife.
(c) A doll.
(d) An apple.
4. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
(a) Make Abigail drink blood.
(b) Kill Parris.
(c) Kill Sarah Good.
(d) Dance around the fire.
5. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(b) John Proctor.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
6. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She ate the last piece of bread.
(b) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(c) She left the house without permission.
(d) She spilled wine on the table.
7. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Bridget Bishop.
8. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Clothing and shelter.
(b) Money and fame.
(c) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(d) Food and water.
9. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
10. How old is Abigail?
11. Where does this play take place?
(a) Salem, Oregon.
(b) Salem, New Hampshire.
(c) Salem, Massachussetts.
(d) Salem, Virginia.
12. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
13. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in child psychology.
(c) He is an expert at exorcism.
(d) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
14. Where are Abigail's parents?
(a) They disappeared.
(b) They died.
(c) They are friends with Parris.
(d) They are traveling.
15. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will run away.
(b) She will kill them.
(c) She will tell on them.
(d) She will beat them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
2. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
3. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
4. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
5. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)