|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(b) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(c) Abigail is hitting him.
(d) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
3. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
(a) Dance around the fire.
(b) Make Abigail drink blood.
(c) Kill Parris.
(d) Kill Sarah Good.
4. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
5. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) Giles Corey.
6. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
(b) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
(c) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
(d) Parris asked for extra firewood.
7. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
8. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will run away.
(b) She will beat them.
(c) She will kill them.
(d) She will tell on them.
9. What does Betty wake from her trance to do?
(a) Add more names to the list.
(b) Scream and writhes.
(c) Drink a glass of water.
(d) Sings a psalm.
10. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(a) Supernatural causes.
11. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
12. What does John Proctor do for a living?
(a) He is owns a grocery store.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a coal miner.
13. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
14. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) Mr. Parris.
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) Mr. Corey.
15. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
2. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
3. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
4. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
5. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)