|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
2. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(b) He is an expert at exorcism.
(c) He is an expert in child psychology.
(d) He is an expert in children's medicine.
3. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
4. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
(a) She says John Proctor was unhappy with her cooking.
(b) She says Elizabeth Proctor wanted her to do the work of a slave.
(c) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her.
(d) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her cooking.
5. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(b) Apple cider.
6. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A whiner.
(c) A sinner.
(d) A liar.
7. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
8. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) A dress.
(b) A knife.
(c) An apple.
(d) A doll.
9. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
(a) Sarah was the midwife of six of her children.
(b) Sarah was the midwife of five of her children.
(c) Sarah was the midwife of three of her children.
(d) Sarah was the midwife of four of her children.
10. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Clothing and shelter.
(c) Food and water.
(d) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
11. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
12. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
(b) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(c) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(d) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
13. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
14. How old is Abigail?
15. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She coughed.
(b) She screamed.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She sneezed.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
2. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
3. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
4. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
5. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)