|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
2. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(b) His wife reads a lot of books.
(c) His wife has stopped talking.
(d) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
3. What year is this play set in?
4. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
5. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
(a) A long rope.
(b) A cane.
(c) Heavy books.
(d) Two suitcases.
6. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
(c) John Proctor.
7. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(d) Clothing and shelter.
8. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She sneezed.
(b) She coughed.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She screamed.
9. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(a) Supernatural causes.
10. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Ten pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
11. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
12. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mary Warren.
13. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
(a) Dances for him.
(b) Waits for him.
(c) Rubs his feet.
(d) Cleans his kitchen.
14. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(b) She accuses him of hitting her.
(c) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(d) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
15. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
2. What does John Proctor do for a living?
3. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
4. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
5. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)