|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He made her a necklace.
(b) He sends her love letters.
(c) He argues with his wife a lot.
(d) He looks up at her bedroom window.
2. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(b) Money and fame.
(c) Food and water.
(d) Clothing and shelter.
3. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
4. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Bridget Bishop.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
5. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(b) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(c) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(d) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
6. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Leading a faction against him.
(b) Being a heretic.
(c) Mistreating Abigail.
(d) Stealing his firewood.
7. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Waving her hands over the fire.
(b) Chopping firewood.
(c) Dancing with them.
(d) Drinking blood.
8. What does John Proctor do for a living?
(a) He is a coal miner.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is owns a grocery store.
9. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in child psychology.
(b) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(c) He is an expert at exorcism.
(d) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
10. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
11. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
12. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) Her dead mother.
(d) The devil.
13. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(b) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(c) His wife reads a lot of books.
(d) His wife has stopped talking.
14. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(a) Supernatural causes.
15. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
2. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
3. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
4. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
5. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)