|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
2. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
3. Which character warns everyone against jumping to conclusions?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
4. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is hitting him.
(b) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(c) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(d) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
5. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
6. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
(b) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
(c) He says he has too much work to do.
(d) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
7. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) An apple.
(b) A dress.
(c) A doll.
(d) A knife.
8. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(b) Clothing and shelter.
(c) Money and fame.
(d) Food and water.
9. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
10. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(b) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(c) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(d) Voting means more in a farming community.
11. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
12. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in child psychology.
(b) He is an expert at exorcism.
(c) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(d) He is an expert in children's medicine.
13. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
(b) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(c) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(d) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
14. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
15. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She spilled wine on the table.
(b) She ate the last piece of bread.
(c) She left the house without permission.
(d) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
2. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
3. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
4. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
5. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)