|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
2. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
3. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Food and water.
(b) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(c) Clothing and shelter.
(d) Money and fame.
4. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will beat them.
(b) She will kill them.
(c) She will tell on them.
(d) She will run away.
5. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
6. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Giles Corey.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
7. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(d) Supernatural causes.
8. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A childish fit.
(b) A spell cast by the devil.
(c) A mild sore throat.
(d) A serious flu.
9. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mercy Lewis.
10. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
(b) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
(c) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(d) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
11. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
12. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(b) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(c) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(d) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
13. How old is Abigail?
14. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
15. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
(b) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
(c) He says he has too much work to do.
(d) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
2. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
3. Where are Abigail's parents?
4. What does John Proctor do for a living?
5. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)