|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Giles Corey.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
2. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Mr. Corey.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Parris.
3. What does John Proctor do for a living?
(a) He is owns a grocery store.
(b) He is a coal miner.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a doctor.
4. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A whiner.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A sinner.
(d) A liar.
5. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Salem's false piety.
(b) Her moral shackles.
(c) Work as a servant.
(d) A well she fell into when she was little.
6. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
7. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
(b) Sends Parris to jail.
(c) Issues a death warrant.
(d) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
8. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
9. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(b) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(c) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(d) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
10. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
11. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
12. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
13. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
(a) Mrs. Putnam says seven of her children died at birth.
(b) Mrs. Putnam says Sarah Good was her midwife.
(c) Parris says he saw something moving in the kettle.
(d) Parris says he saw a naked figure disappear into the forest.
14. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
15. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(b) He threatens to leave.
(c) He threatens to sue.
(d) He threatens to kill Parris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
2. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
3. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
4. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
5. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)