|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Bridget Bishop.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
2. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris asked for extra firewood.
(b) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
(c) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
(d) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
3. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Voting means more in a farming community.
(b) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(c) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(d) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
6. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She screamed.
(c) She sneezed.
(d) She coughed.
7. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert at exorcism.
(b) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(c) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(d) He is an expert in child psychology.
8. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(b) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(c) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(d) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
9. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will tell on them.
(b) She will run away.
(c) She will kill them.
(d) She will beat them.
10. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to sue.
(b) He threatens to kill Parris.
(c) He threatens to leave.
(d) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
11. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) A doll.
(b) An apple.
(c) A knife.
(d) A dress.
12. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
13. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Giles Corey.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
14. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
(b) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
(c) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(d) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
15. What does Betty wake from her trance to do?
(a) Add more names to the list.
(b) Drink a glass of water.
(c) Sings a psalm.
(d) Scream and writhes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
2. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
3. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
4. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
5. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)