|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to leave.
(b) He threatens to kill Parris.
(c) He threatens to sue.
(d) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
2. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
3. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(b) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(c) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
(d) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
6. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(b) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
(c) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(d) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
7. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A whiner.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A liar.
(d) A sinner.
8. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(b) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail is hitting him.
(d) Abigail is throwing things at him.
9. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(b) Voting means more in a farming community.
(c) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(d) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
10. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(b) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(c) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(d) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
11. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(d) Apple cider.
12. Where are Abigail's parents?
(a) They disappeared.
(b) They are traveling.
(c) They died.
(d) They are friends with Parris.
13. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mercy Lewis.
14. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
15. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) The devil.
(b) Her dead mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
2. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
3. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
4. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
5. How old is Abigail?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)