|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
2. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(c) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(d) Abigail is hitting him.
3. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. How old is Abigail?
6. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Giles Corey.
7. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Sends Parris to jail.
(b) Issues a death warrant.
(c) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
(d) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
8. What year is this play set in?
9. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Giles Corey.
10. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(b) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(c) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
(d) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
11. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
(b) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
(c) He says he has too much work to do.
(d) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
12. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
(b) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
(c) Parris asked for extra firewood.
(d) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
13. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) The devil.
(d) Her dead mother.
14. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be grounded.
(b) They will be hanged.
(c) They will be drowned.
(d) They will be burned at the stake.
15. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Mr. Parris.
(c) Mr. Corey.
(d) John Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
2. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
3. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
4. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
5. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)