|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Abigail?
2. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
(a) Mr. Putnam and Parris.
(b) Giles and John Proctor.
(c) Cheever and Danforth.
(d) Mr. Putnam and John Proctor.
3. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) The devil.
(b) Her dead mother.
4. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Six pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
5. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
(b) John Proctor.
6. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(b) Mary and Mercy.
(c) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
7. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She coughed.
(b) She sneezed.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She laughed.
8. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
(a) She will be forced to work for the Parris family forever.
(b) She will be killed.
(c) She will be beaten.
(d) She will be thrown out.
9. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
(a) Kill Parris.
(b) Dance around the fire.
(c) Make Abigail drink blood.
(d) Kill Sarah Good.
10. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
(a) Sends for them to be brought back in irons.
(b) Issues a death warrant.
(c) Laughs and says that is ridiculous.
(d) Sends Parris to jail.
11. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
(b) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(c) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(d) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
12. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Mercy Lewis.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
13. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mary Warren.
14. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
(a) Parris says he saw a naked figure disappear into the forest.
(b) Mrs. Putnam says Sarah Good was her midwife.
(c) Mrs. Putnam says seven of her children died at birth.
(d) Parris says he saw something moving in the kettle.
15. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(b) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(c) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
(d) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Abigail's parents?
2. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
3. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
4. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
5. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)