|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
2. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Work as a servant.
(b) Her moral shackles.
(c) A well she fell into when she was little.
(d) Salem's false piety.
3. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He looks up at her bedroom window.
(b) He sends her love letters.
(c) He argues with his wife a lot.
(d) He made her a necklace.
4. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
5. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
(a) Sarah was the midwife of four of her children.
(b) Sarah was the midwife of six of her children.
(c) Sarah was the midwife of five of her children.
(d) Sarah was the midwife of three of her children.
6. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he has too much work to do.
(b) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
(c) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
(d) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
7. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to kill Parris.
(b) He threatens to leave.
(c) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(d) He threatens to sue.
8. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
(a) Clothing and shelter.
(b) Her freedom and a way back to Barbados.
(c) Money and fame.
(d) Food and water.
9. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
10. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will tell on them.
(b) She will run away.
(c) She will beat them.
(d) She will kill them.
11. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(b) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(c) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(d) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
12. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
(a) He tells Giles to ask his wife if she was present when they died.
(b) He consults his books to see if there are supernatural reasons.
(c) He visits another priest to ask for help.
(d) He questions the doctor as to her symptoms.
13. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
(b) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(c) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(d) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
14. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(b) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(c) Mary and Mercy.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
15. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to give her money.
(b) She wants to continue the affair.
(c) She wants him to kill his wife.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
2. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
3. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
4. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
5. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)