|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(b) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
(c) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(d) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
2. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
(a) The living room.
(b) The den.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The kitchen.
3. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) An apple.
(b) A dress.
(c) A doll.
(d) A knife.
4. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
(a) Run away from home.
(b) Drink blood.
(c) Take her clothes off.
5. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
(a) Giles and John Proctor.
(b) Cheever and Danforth.
(c) Mr. Putnam and John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam and Parris.
6. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
(b) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(c) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
(d) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
7. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(b) She accuses him of hitting her.
(c) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(d) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
8. Where are Abigail's parents?
(a) They are traveling.
(b) They are friends with Parris.
(c) They died.
(d) They disappeared.
9. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(b) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
(c) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(d) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
10. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(b) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(c) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(d) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
11. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife has stopped talking.
(b) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
(c) His wife reads a lot of books.
(d) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
12. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Her moral shackles.
(b) A well she fell into when she was little.
(c) Work as a servant.
(d) Salem's false piety.
13. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(b) He is an expert at exorcism.
(c) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(d) He is an expert in child psychology.
14. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be grounded.
(b) They will be hanged.
(c) They will be drowned.
(d) They will be burned at the stake.
15. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
(a) Cleans his kitchen.
(b) Dances for him.
(c) Waits for him.
(d) Rubs his feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
2. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
3. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
4. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
5. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)