|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(b) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(c) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(d) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
2. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
3. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He argues with his wife a lot.
(b) He sends her love letters.
(c) He looks up at her bedroom window.
(d) He made her a necklace.
4. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
5. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Mr. Parris.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Corey.
6. Who is the Putnams' servant?
7. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) John Proctor.
8. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Bridget Bishop.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
9. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to leave.
(b) He threatens to kill Parris.
(c) He threatens to sue.
(d) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
10. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(b) Mercy Lewis.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
11. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
(a) Kill Sarah Good.
(b) Dance around the fire.
(c) Make Abigail drink blood.
(d) Kill Parris.
12. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(b) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
13. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
(a) She says Elizabeth Proctor wanted her to do the work of a slave.
(b) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her.
(c) She says John Proctor was unhappy with her cooking.
(d) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her cooking.
14. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
15. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(b) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(c) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(d) Voting means more in a farming community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
2. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
3. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
4. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
5. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)