|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
(a) He says he has too much work to do.
(b) He says Parris' sermons are not worth the long trip.
(c) He says he is too busy chopping firewood.
(d) He says he goes to another church closer to his home.
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
3. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
4. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
5. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(b) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(c) Voting means more in a farming community.
(d) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
6. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to kill his wife.
(b) She wants him to rehire her.
(c) She wants to continue the affair.
(d) She wants him to give her money.
7. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
(b) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(c) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
(d) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
8. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
(a) She will beat them.
(b) She will run away.
(c) She will tell on them.
(d) She will kill them.
9. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
(a) Elizabeth and Abigail.
(b) Sarah Good and Goody Osburn.
(c) Mary and Mercy.
(d) Rebecca Nurse and Mrs. Putnam.
10. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(b) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(c) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(d) She accuses him of hitting her.
11. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She spilled wine on the table.
(b) She ate the last piece of bread.
(c) She left the house without permission.
(d) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
12. Who is the Putnams' servant?
13. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
(b) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
(c) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(d) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
14. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
(b) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
(c) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
(d) Parris asked for extra firewood.
15. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
(a) Sarah was the midwife of six of her children.
(b) Sarah was the midwife of five of her children.
(c) Sarah was the midwife of four of her children.
(d) Sarah was the midwife of three of her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
2. What does John Proctor do for a living?
3. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
4. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
5. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)