|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
2. What does Abigail accuse Tituba of making her do?
(a) Drink blood.
(b) Run away from home.
(d) Take her clothes off.
3. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
(a) His wife reads a lot of books.
(b) His wife has stopped talking.
(c) His wife doesn't go to church anymore.
(d) His wife has decided to become a nurse.
4. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(b) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(c) He is an expert in child psychology.
(d) He is an expert at exorcism.
5. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A liar.
(b) A whiner.
(c) A sinner.
(d) A martyr.
6. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
(a) Her dead mother.
(d) The devil.
7. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(b) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
8. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
9. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(b) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(c) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(d) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
10. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(b) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(c) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(d) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
11. When Hale first enters, who helps him with the things he is carrying?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mary Warren.
12. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Chopping firewood.
(b) Drinking blood.
(c) Dancing with them.
(d) Waving her hands over the fire.
13. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to leave.
(b) He threatens to sue.
(c) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(d) He threatens to kill Parris.
14. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Ten pounds.
(b) Six pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Five pounds.
15. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
2. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
3. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
4. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
5. Who asks Rebecca Nurse to treat his daughter?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)