|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
2. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
(a) Reads them again.
(b) Organizes them.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Stacks them.
3. How many miles does John Proctor live from the church?
4. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
(a) She will be forced to work for the Parris family forever.
(b) She will be killed.
(c) She will be thrown out.
(d) She will be beaten.
5. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She coughed.
(b) She sneezed.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She laughed.
6. Where does this play take place?
(a) Salem, Virginia.
(b) Salem, New Hampshire.
(c) Salem, Massachussetts.
(d) Salem, Oregon.
7. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
8. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(b) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(c) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(d) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
9. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(d) Abigail says they were picking berries.
10. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
11. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked to close the door behind her.
(b) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(c) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(d) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
12. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
(a) Cleans his kitchen.
(b) Rubs his feet.
(c) Waits for him.
(d) Dances for him.
13. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She left the house without permission.
(b) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(c) She spilled wine on the table.
(d) She ate the last piece of bread.
14. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A mild sore throat.
(b) A serious flu.
(c) A spell cast by the devil.
(d) A childish fit.
15. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(c) John Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Putnams' servant?
2. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
3. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
4. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
5. Giles Corey asks Hale to explain his wife's behavior. What particular behavior is he concerned about?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)