|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She coughed.
(b) She laughed.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She sneezed.
2. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(b) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(c) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(d) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
3. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Being a heretic.
(b) Mistreating Abigail.
(c) Leading a faction against him.
(d) Stealing his firewood.
5. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
6. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(c) Apple cider.
7. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Mercy Lewis.
8. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
(a) Abigail is his adopted daughter.
(b) Abigail is his cousin.
(c) Abigail is his neice.
(d) Abigail is his little sister.
9. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(c) He is an expert at exorcism.
(d) He is an expert in child psychology.
10. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
11. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(b) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(c) She accuses him of hitting her.
(d) She accuses him of being mean to her.
12. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
13. What was Tituba doing while the other girls where dancing in the forest?
(a) Dancing with them.
(b) Drinking blood.
(c) Waving her hands over the fire.
(d) Chopping firewood.
14. What does Abigail call Elizabeth Proctor when discussing her reputation in Act 1?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A liar.
(c) A whiner.
(d) A sinner.
15. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
(a) She is asked not to mention the supernatural.
(b) She is asked to bring the doctor for a second opinion.
(c) Shis asked to pray for Betty.
(d) She is asked to close the door behind her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
2. What two things does Tituba say the devil claimed he would give her if she did what he asked?
3. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
4. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
5. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)