|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is this play set in?
2. How old is Abigail?
3. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
4. When Hale arrives, what is he carrying?
(a) A cane.
(b) Two suitcases.
(c) Heavy books.
(d) A long rope.
5. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Bridget Bishop.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
6. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Elizabeth Proctor.
7. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
8. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
(a) John Proctor.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
9. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
10. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
(a) Giles Corey.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
11. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
12. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Whip her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Ground her.
(d) Fire her.
13. Who is the Putnams' servant?
14. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
(a) Parris asked for extra firewood.
(b) Parris asked for the deed to his own house.
(c) Parris asked for a four bedroom home.
(d) Parris wanted to be paid on a monthly basis.
15. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Voting means more in a farming community.
(b) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(c) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(d) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
2. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
3. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
4. What does Betty wake from her trance to do?
5. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)