|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 32-48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
(b) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(c) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
(d) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
2. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in child psychology.
(c) He is an expert at exorcism.
(d) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
3. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
(a) Sarah was the midwife of six of her children.
(b) Sarah was the midwife of four of her children.
(c) Sarah was the midwife of three of her children.
(d) Sarah was the midwife of five of her children.
4. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(b) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(d) Abigail is hitting him.
5. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be hanged.
(b) They will be drowned.
(c) They will be grounded.
(d) They will be burned at the stake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Putnams' servant?
2. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
3. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
4. When Susan leaves the Parris household she is asked a favor. What is it?
5. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)