|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 32-48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people does Tituba claim to have seen with the devil?
2. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
3. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
4. When Mrs. Putnam tells Hale about her dead children, what does Hale do?
(a) He questions the doctor as to her symptoms.
(b) He consults his books to see if there are supernatural reasons.
(c) He visits another priest to ask for help.
(d) He tells Giles to ask his wife if she was present when they died.
5. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(b) She left the house without permission.
(c) She ate the last piece of bread.
(d) She spilled wine on the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
2. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
3. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
4. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
5. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)