|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 32-48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
(b) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(c) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(d) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
2. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(c) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(d) Abigail is hitting him.
3. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
(a) She spilled wine on the table.
(b) She forgot to put the horses in the stable.
(c) She ate the last piece of bread.
(d) She left the house without permission.
4. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
(a) He threatens to kill Parris.
(b) He threatens to stop chopping firewood.
(c) He threatens to leave.
(d) He threatens to sue.
5. What does Abigail claim was in the kettle in the forest?
(c) Apple cider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
2. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
3. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
4. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)