|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 32-48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
2. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(b) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(c) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(d) Voting means more in a farming community.
3. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(b) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(c) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(d) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
4. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(d) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
5. What kind of expertise does Hale have?
(a) He is an expert in children's medicine.
(b) He is an expert in the demonic arts.
(c) He is an expert at exorcism.
(d) He is an expert in child psychology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
2. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
3. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
4. Hale is embarrassed by a compliment on his rationality. Which character gives him the compliment?
5. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)