|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
(a) A mild sore throat.
(b) A spell cast by the devil.
(c) A childish fit.
(d) A serious flu.
2. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
(a) He looks up at her bedroom window.
(b) He made her a necklace.
(c) He argues with his wife a lot.
(d) He sends her love letters.
3. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
(a) Abigail is speaking against his wife.
(b) Abigail is hitting him.
(c) Abigail is throwing things at him.
(d) Abigail is hitting Elizabeth Proctor.
4. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(b) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(c) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(d) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
5. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Three pounds.
(b) Six pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
2. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
3. Where does this play take place?
4. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
5. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)