|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(b) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(c) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(d) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
2. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to give her money.
(b) She wants him to kill his wife.
(c) She wants to continue the affair.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
3. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(b) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(c) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
(d) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
(a) Leading a faction against him.
(b) Being a heretic.
(c) Mistreating Abigail.
(d) Stealing his firewood.
5. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
(b) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Abigail?
2. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
3. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
4. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
5. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)