|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
(b) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
(c) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
(d) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
2. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
3. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
(a) She says John Proctor was unhappy with her cooking.
(b) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her.
(c) She says Elizabeth Proctor didn't like her cooking.
(d) She says Elizabeth Proctor wanted her to do the work of a slave.
4. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be burned at the stake.
(b) They will be hanged.
(c) They will be drowned.
(d) They will be grounded.
5. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
2. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
3. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
4. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
5. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)