|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susana claim Dr. Griggs thinks might be the cause of Betty's illness?
(a) Supernatural causes.
2. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
(b) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(c) Voting means more in a farming community.
(d) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
3. Where did Parris live before he moved to Salem?
4. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
(a) Abigail is his little sister.
(b) Abigail is his adopted daughter.
(c) Abigail is his cousin.
(d) Abigail is his neice.
5. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
(b) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(c) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
(d) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
2. What year is this play set in?
3. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
4. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
5. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)