|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 1-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(b) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(c) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(d) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
2. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
3. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She coughed.
(c) She sneezed.
(d) She screamed.
4. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
5. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
(b) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
2. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
3. Where are Abigail's parents?
4. How many of Mrs. Putnam's children have died?
5. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)