|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Parris want the deed to his own house?
(a) He didn't think the community would respect him if he didn't own a nice house.
(b) He didn't think the town would obey him if they could easily remove him.
(c) He wanted to be sure that his daughter could inherit it.
(d) He didn't think that he could live in the house without the deed.
2. How old is Abigail?
3. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
(a) Rumors are circulating about her dancing naked in the forest.
(b) Rumors are circulating as to her vampire tendencies.
(c) Rumors are circulating as to why she was dismissed from serving Mr. and Mrs. Proctor.
(d) Rumors are circulating about her involvement in her own parent's death.
4. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
(b) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(c) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(d) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
5. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
(a) A dress.
(b) An apple.
(c) A knife.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Act 1, Betty wakes from her trance-like state and calls out for someone. Who is it?
2. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
3. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
4. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
5. What is John Proctor's excuse for not attending church often?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)