|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
(d) Abigail says they were picking berries.
2. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
(a) Mr. Putnam is trying to use politics to gain land.
(b) Voting means more in a farming community.
(c) In the upcoming election he won't get to vote more than once.
(d) Just because Mr. Putnam is wealthy he doesn't have more say.
3. What does John Proctor do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a coal miner.
(c) He is owns a grocery store.
(d) He is a farmer.
4. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Six pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
5. Mrs. Putnam suggests in Act 1 that Parris be the first to announce this in Salem. What is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
2. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
3. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
4. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
5. What does Abigail threaten to do to the girls if they admit to more than dancing?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)