|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Putnam.
2. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
(a) Betty calls out for her dead mother.
(b) Betty starts speaking in a strange language.
(c) Betty has a wart on her thumb.
(d) Betty covers her ears and begins screaming when a psalm is sung.
3. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Ground her.
(b) Fire her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Whip her.
4. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be grounded.
(b) They will be drowned.
(c) They will be hanged.
(d) They will be burned at the stake.
5. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
(a) Six pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Three pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Proctor do for a living?
2. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
3. How old is Abigail?
4. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
5. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)