|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
(b) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(c) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(d) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
2. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
(a) She wants him to kill his wife.
(b) She wants to continue the affair.
(c) She wants him to give her money.
(d) She wants him to rehire her.
3. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
(a) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
4. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
(a) Abigail says they were picking berries.
(b) Abigail admits they were dancing, but just for fun.
(c) Abigail admits they were dancing to cast a spell on Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Abigail admits they lit a fire to keep warm, but they were not dancing.
5. What does John Proctor do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a coal miner.
(d) He is owns a grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John Proctor insults Parris in Act 1, who asks him to take it back?
2. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
3. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
4. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
5. Why does Abigail claim she was fired from serving the Proctor household?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)