|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
(a) Fire her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Whip her.
(d) Ground her.
2. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(b) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
(c) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(d) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
3. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be burned at the stake.
(b) They will be grounded.
(c) They will be drowned.
(d) They will be hanged.
4. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
(a) She accuses him of trying to kill her.
(b) She accuses him of being mean to her.
(c) She accuses him of not wanting to support her.
(d) She accuses him of hitting her.
5. What does Abigail claim John Proctor freed her from?
(a) Work as a servant.
(b) A well she fell into when she was little.
(c) Salem's false piety.
(d) Her moral shackles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
2. What does Abigail say she does for John Proctor every night?
3. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
4. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
5. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)