|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Pages 21-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
(a) They will be drowned.
(b) They will be grounded.
(c) They will be burned at the stake.
(d) They will be hanged.
2. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(b) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
(c) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(d) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
3. Who suggests that Parris deny the rumor of witchcraft?
4. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
(a) She says she fainted from surprise when Parris appeared in the forest.q
(b) She says she fainted from the smoke from the fire.
(c) She says she fainted because her dress was too tight.
(d) She says she fainted from the heat while they were dancing.
5. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
(a) She is angry that the other girls are turning on her.
(b) She is scared that Betty is being controlled by evil spirits.
(c) She is angry that Betty is getting all of the attention.
(d) She is angry when Betty reminds Abigail that she drank blood to punish Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
2. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
3. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
4. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
5. Abigail is sure that John Proctor still has feelings for her. What example does she use to back up her claim?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)