|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Parris want to consider Witchcraft as an explanation for Betty's illness?
(a) He thinks she just has a cold and will be fine in a couple of days.
(b) He doesn't believe in witchcraft.
(c) He is concerned about his reputation in Salem.
(d) He is afraid the girls will cast a spell on him.
2. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
(a) Mr. Putnam and John Proctor.
(b) Mr. Putnam and Parris.
(c) Giles and John Proctor.
(d) Cheever and Danforth.
3. How does John Proctor describe Parris' sermons?
(a) As "fire and brimstone" sermons.
(b) As "guilt and sin" sermons.
(c) As "light and fluffy" sermons.
(d) As "hellfire and bloody damnation" sermons.
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He was late for dinner.
(b) He was alone with Abigail.
(c) He gave Abigail a gift.
(d) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
5. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
(a) Finish his work.
(b) Say his prayers.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) eat his dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
2. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
3. What is Martha Corey accused of?
4. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
5. Who has heard that Hale has a "reputation for rationality" and tells him so?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)