|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Mickens family members claimed that, "if you love the area you will make it, and no one ever goes hungry" ?
2. What did Rawlings bribe the children to do by offering to sew them new clothes?
3. What color was Rawlings's hammock soil?
4. What was Rawlings's nickname in Cross Creek?
5. How many acres of land did Rawlings inherit in Cross Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience with outhouses did Rawlings have when she was growing up?
2. How did Mr. Marsh Turner die?
3. How did Rawlings acquire the antique bed in her house?
4. What type of relationship did Rawlings notice between young and old magnolia trees while she was living in Cross Creek?
5. How did Rawlings come to shoot a pig in her garden?
6. What type of relationship did George Fairbanks have with women?
7. What type of relationship did Rawlings have with Leroy?
8. How did Rawlings become involved in the Townsend children's education?
9. What parts of Cross Creek added to its beauty, as Rawlings recollected it in the opening chapter of the memoir?
10. Why did Rawlings decide to build an indoor shower for herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Rawlings frequently brings up the idea of "racial memory." How does Rawlings define "racial memory"? How was racial memory significant in the particular era in which Rawlings lived in Cross Creek. Give at least two examples of moments from the memoir in which racial memory was significant. How did racial memory affect relationships in both of these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Rawlings's closest ally on the farm was Black Martha. What role did Martha play on the farm? How did Martha's family treat Rawlings, who was essentially their boss? How did Rawlings's relationship with Martha change her as a person? What lessons did Rawlings learn from Martha? Do you think Martha was a positive or negative influence on Rawlings's life in Cross Creek?
Essay Topic 3
Rawlings had a fascination with the flowers in Cross Creek but particularly with the magnolia trees. First, describe the magnolia trees and explain their life cycle. What relationship do young magnolia trees have to old magnolia trees? What symbolism did Rawlings find in the groves of magnolia trees? How did Rawlings's relationship with the magnolia trees in Cross Creek directly mirror or reflect her relationship with her own family?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)