|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following stereotypes was NOT one Rawlings exposed in her discussions of her servants?
(a) That her servants were giddy.
(b) That her servants were unintelligent.
(c) That her servants were untrustworthy.
(d) That her servants were childish.
2. What did Rawlings use to kill the baby cottonmouth she found in her house?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A gun.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A book.
3. How did Rawlings feel about the neighboring pigs eating from her farm?
(a) She was amused by them.
(b) She was annoyed by them.
(c) She was apathetic to them.
(d) She was angered by them.
4. How did neighboring towns warn those in Cross Creek of impending frost?
(a) They did not warn of changing weather.
(b) With a telephone call.
(c) With a train whistle.
(d) With a smoke signal.
5. What was the average temperature in Cross Creek in the fall?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rawlings hang in the orange groves to repel hawks?
2. Which flowers did Rawlings and Dessie study on their river adventure?
3. How did Rawlings feel when Kate's brother, an ex-servant, offered Rawlings his protection?
4. Which of the following creatures was Rawlings sure was intelligent?
5. Which bird was considered illegal to cook and eat in Cross Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rawlings feel when Kate's brother was in town?
2. Who was Mr. Butler, and where did he die?
3. How did Rawlings kill the cottonmouth snake she found in her house?
4. How did Rawlings and Dessie navigate the maze of tributaries that were not listed on Rawlings's river map?
5. Why did Rawlings fire Raymond?
6. How did Rawlings overcome her fear of snakes?
7. How did Rawlings's diet change when she was hospitalized in Cross Creek?
8. Why did Rawlings keep cows on her farm?
9. What type of relationship did Rawlings have with the frogs that overtook Cross Creek in springtime?
10. What weapons did Rawlings believe all African-American servants had over their employers?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)