|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hector upset?
2. Where has Debbie moved her bedroom?
3. Who does Debbie think would want to know Hector's mother's recipe?
4. What is Lenny doing with his father in Chapter 16:
5. What has Hector forgotten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Debbie and Patty doing while looking at the yearbook and what is Debbie thinking about when she looks at her own picture in the yearbook?
2. With what is Lenny helping his father in Chapter 16, and what is Debbie doing when she overhears them?
3. What is Lenny doing in Chapter 22 while Debbie is in the backyard reading and what saddens him when he goes into his house and comes back out?
4. How do both Hector's and Mrs. Bruning's hairstyles change in Chapter 20?
5. What has Debbie convinced her mother of, and what does she find in her mother's mementos box?
6. How is Mrs. Bruning when she comes home from the hospital and to what does she agree with Peter's parents?
7. What does Hector do while waiting for the fireworks?
8. What happens when Debbie comes to Mrs. Bruning's house on Saturday immediately after Mrs. Bruning awakens?
9. How do Debbie and Peter handle the emergency with Mrs. Bruning?
10. How does Debbie's necklace end up in a tar patch after Dan picked it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Criss Cross". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Perkins chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Perkins chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Perkins's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Perkins use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Criss Cross" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Criss Cross"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Criss Cross" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
"Criss Cross" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)