|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hector say his grandmother talks about a lot?
2. What about the Catholic religion are the friends discussing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. What does Debbie give Mrs. Bruning when the elderly woman comes downstairs on Saturday?
4. For what will the person in question #92 use what fell out of Russell's pocket?
5. What does Mrs. Bruning see about Peter and Debbie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Bruning when she comes home from the hospital and to what does she agree with Peter's parents?
2. What are the other teens doing while Debbie is dealing with the crisis with Mrs. Bruning?
3. How do Debbie and Peter handle the emergency with Mrs. Bruning?
4. How do both Hector's and Mrs. Bruning's hairstyles change in Chapter 20?
5. What has Debbie convinced her mother of, and what does she find in her mother's mementos box?
6. Who is at the Tastee Freez when the guitar lesson group arrives there and how does Hector feel about the class going to the Tastee Freez?
7. With what class is Patty struggling and what does she feel from the knowledge she has learned in this class?
8. What is Hector thinking when he walks the sidewalk after a light rain?
9. What is Peter's father's response to Mrs. Bruning's objections? How are his objections handled?
10. Where does Hector find Meadow, and why is he embarrassed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Criss Cross" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Debbie matures and grows throughout the book.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Debbie is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Debbie's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the ways that Debbie shows changes in her maturity in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lynne Rae Perkins.
2. What in Perkins's background may have helped her in writing "Criss Cross"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)