|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city do Hector and Mando live?
2. Where are Freddie and Huey afraid to go again?
3. What is Mando's last name?
4. What is revealed about the truck robbery in Julio's photos?
5. What does Huey do when Freddie says they will go to prison if they don't get rid of the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Julio upset when he reads the story about the boys in the newspaper?
2. Who is Mr. Inouye and why does Julio take the boys to meet him?
3. Compare and contrast Freddie and Julio regarding their commitment and responsibility to the children in their lives.
4. What is Uncle Julio's profession and how did he learn it?
5. How do Julio and the boys confirm that the men in their photos are actually the robbers?
6. Who are Hector and Mando and why have they taken a train to Fresno, California?
7. What stereotypes of the Latin household does the author present?
8. How does the author show the importance of the Japanese Americans to the regional economy and culture?
9. What does Uncle Julio tell Hector and Mando to let them know he has been too hard on them?
10. How does Uncle Julio represent a father figure for Hector and Mando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary Soto is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Uncle Julio. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Hector. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)