|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julio tell Hector and Mando to comfort them?
2. What does Julio comment about Freddie after the pictures of the robbers are developed?
3. What does Julio realize about himself regarding Vicky?
4. In what city do Hector and Mando live?
5. What does Huey do when Freddie says they will go to prison if they don't get rid of the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Inouye and why does Julio take the boys to meet him?
2. What is the significance of including the Japanese Americans into the story?
3. What does the author reveal about the unfortunate home lives of Hector, Mando and Julio?
4. Why does Vicky call to apologize to Hector and Mando and what does Julio offer to make her feel better?
5. How does Uncle Julio represent a father figure for Hector and Mando?
6. Describe Hector and Manny's world in East Los Angeles and what it represents for Latinos.
7. What news report do Julio and the boys hear on the car radio and what is their connection to it?
8. How do Freddie and Huey find out where to find Julio and the boys?
9. How does the Inouye household represent prosperity to the boys?
10. Compare and contrast Freddie and Julio regarding their commitment and responsibility to the children in their lives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply CRAZY WEEKEND? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
What does the author say about Japanese-American culture in the book? What qualities do Mr. Inouye and Mr. Kanzaki exhibit that are typical of Japanese people? Does the author do a good job of presenting the Japanese-Americans in a positive light?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author say about Latino culture in the book? Describe the typical stereotypes and cultural elements and then speak more directly to Hector and Mando's lives in East Los Angeles.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)