|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about the truck robbery in Julio's photos?
2. What month is it when the story begins?
3. The other robber is named _________________.
4. Who helps Julio replace the radiator hose and change the tire?
5. One of the robbers is named ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vicky call to apologize to Hector and Mando and what does Julio offer to make her feel better?
2. How does Uncle Julio represent a father figure for Hector and Mando?
3. How do Julio and the boys confirm that the men in their photos are actually the robbers?
4. What plan do Freddie and Huey formulate to get out of their current situation?
5. What is Uncle Julio's profession and how did he learn it?
6. What information is revealed about Hector and Mando in the column in The Fresno Bee?
7. What does the Denny's restaurant signify to Hector and Mando regarding their loss of innocence?
8. How does the Inouye household represent prosperity to the boys?
9. What job does Uncle Julio take Hector and Mando along to see?
10. When do Hector and Mando realize that Uncle Julio was right about their being in danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author say about Japanese-American culture in the book? What qualities do Mr. Inouye and Mr. Kanzaki exhibit that are typical of Japanese people? Does the author do a good job of presenting the Japanese-Americans in a positive light?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gary Soto's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Hector and Mando. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)