|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steph say the family is going to do for supper?
2. Why does Vernon's dad say he wants Vernon to be the one to teach him?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the questions Maxine says Miss Marlow has asked about Ronald?
4. What are the first words Miss Annie says when Vernon arrives for his lesson in chapter 22?
5. What does Vernon plan to buy for Ronald first on their shopping trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letter Vernon writes to Miss Marlow.
2. Why does Vernon become concerned about Maxine and Ronald near the end of chapter 25 and what does he ask Miss Annie?
3. What are some of the instructions Miss Annie gives Vernon as he's planting the garden?
4. What happens when Ben and Mitchell show up where Ronald and Vernon are sitting?
5. What does Ben's mention of the library make Vernon remember and why does it make him change his mind about letting Ben and Sandra read his book?
6. What does Vernon say about his father filling out paperwork for the children in the family and why does he say it?
7. How does Jerry's dad become acquainted with Miss Marlow?
8. Describe how Vernon acts during the Special Olympics and why his actions prompt Miss Marlow to say that he's very good with the special needs children.
9. What is on television that prompts the argument between Vernon and Maxine in chapter 20 and what does Maxine say about it that makes Vernon mad?
10. Describe the conversation between Vernon and Maxine at the beginning of chapter 25.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vernon react to the news that Ronald is being sent to live with relatives. Why does he react in this way? Why does Miss Annie disagree? Who do you believe is correct? Why do you believe this?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)