|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the store where Vernon goes to buy Ronald's shoes?
2. Which of the seeds does Miss Annie say has to be sowed "with a sweeping motion" in dirt as fine as sand?
3. Why does Vernon come home early from school that Wednesday in chapter 21?
4. Where is the mailbox where Vernon mails his letter?
5. What does Steph ask of Vernon as soon as he gets home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letter Vernon writes to Miss Marlow.
2. Describe the yard Ronald where Ronald stops to stare for so long, and how does Ronald's vision of the yard differ from Vernon's?
3. What are some of the instructions Miss Annie gives Vernon as he's planting the garden?
4. What happens when Ben and Mitchell show up where Ronald and Vernon are sitting?
5. Describe supper on the night Steph has a date.
6. How does Jerry's dad become acquainted with Miss Marlow?
7. What does Vernon's dad say about the night Vernon tried to choke Tony?
8. What is on television that prompts the argument between Vernon and Maxine in chapter 20 and what does Maxine say about it that makes Vernon mad?
9. What does Ben's mention of the library make Vernon remember and why does it make him change his mind about letting Ben and Sandra read his book?
10. What does Maxine say was her first impression of the city when she arrived from Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vernon initially tries to hide the fact that he's spending time with Maxine, Ronald and Miss Annie. Why? What are some of the things he does to try to keep his activities secret? Does he succeed? Should he have tried to hide?
Essay Topic 2
Vernon should have been very happy when Ronald tries to talk but he's suddenly frightened because of all the changes that are happening. What are some of the other changes occurring in Vernon's life and what are his reactions? Who does he turn to for help?
Essay Topic 3
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)