Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's father doing when Vernon comes downstairs in the middle of the night?
2. How long does Maxine say she and Ronald have lived in the house?
3. Who is singing as Vernon goes upstairs, leaving his father in the kitchen?
4. Where was Vernon born?
5. What day does Vernon plan to take Ronald shopping for his new shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man at the clothing store say about Ronald?
2. What does Vernon note about Miss Annie's house the first time he goes inside?
3. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
4. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
5. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
6. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
7. Describe the argument Jerry and Vernon have about Maxine's abilities as a mother?
8. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
9. What does Miss Annie say about having met Vernon prior to his coming to her for tutoring? Why is Vernon embarrassed?
10. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
Essay Topic 1
While it can be argued that the move is the best thing for Ronald, what impact might it have had on Vernon? How might Vernon have filled his time after Ronald left? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
What does Vernon learn about Jerry's brother, John? Why do you believe Jerry didn't tell Vernon about John earlier? Where does Vernon meet John? Describe John.
Essay Topic 3
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)