Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's father doing when Vernon comes downstairs in the middle of the night?
2. How long does Maxine say she and Ronald have lived in the house?
3. Who is singing as Vernon goes upstairs, leaving his father in the kitchen?
4. Where was Vernon born?
5. What day does Vernon plan to take Ronald shopping for his new shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man at the clothing store say about Ronald?
2. What does Vernon note about Miss Annie's house the first time he goes inside?
3. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
4. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
5. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
6. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
7. Describe the argument Jerry and Vernon have about Maxine's abilities as a mother?
8. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
9. What does Miss Annie say about having met Vernon prior to his coming to her for tutoring? Why is Vernon embarrassed?
10. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Vernon as the story opens. How does he change over the course of the story? Why does he change?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)