|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine say will happen to Vernon if he doesn't talk to her in the beginning of chapter ten?
2. Why is Maxine arrested?
3. What does Vernon do to help calm Ronald?
4. What does Chris steal at the Woolworth's?
5. What day does Vernon plan to take Ronald shopping for his new shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
2. What are three of the facts Maxine tells Vernon about Ronald while he's helping her do chores?
3. What are the kids saying about Vernon spending time at Miss Annie's in chapter eight?
4. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
5. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
6. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
7. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
8. What does Maxine say about being smart?
9. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
10. What happens when Vernon takes the potatoes back to Maxine's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 2
What do you consider the most important scene of the story? Fully describe the scene and explain its importance to the story.
Essay Topic 3
While it can be argued that the move is the best thing for Ronald, what impact might it have had on Vernon? How might Vernon have filled his time after Ronald left? Why do you think so?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)