|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vernon say his father quit school?
2. Where is Vernon when Maxine finds him in the opening pages of chapter 15?
3. Who threw a rock through Maxine's front window?
4. What does Vernon steal from the Woolworth's store?
5. What does Tony say was Maxine's reason for getting drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
2. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
3. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
4. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
5. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
6. What does Vernon say about his father's efforts to take over the role of his mother?
7. Why is Vernon particularly worried about being held back?
8. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
9. What does Vernon note about Miss Annie's house the first time he goes inside?
10. What does Vernon say about Maxine's house when he goes down there on the day of the teacher's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe actions of Vernon and Ronald at the Special Olympics. Who do they encounter? What do they do? What does Miss Marlow say about it on the way home? Was she correct?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Maxine? What is her role in the story? How does she impact Vernon's life? How does Vernon impact hers?
Essay Topic 3
What do you consider the most important scene of the story? Fully describe the scene and explain its importance to the story.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)