|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon take to Maxine?
2. What color is Maxine's lipstick when Vernon goes to clean up her yard?
3. What is the surprise Ben and Mitchell have for the street carnival?
4. Who is the first member of Venon's family to go to college?
5. What does Maxine say will happen to Vernon because he's a good boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maxine say about being smart?
2. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
3. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
4. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
5. Why is Vernon feeling so angry as chapter 15 comes to a close?
6. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
7. What are three of the facts Maxine tells Vernon about Ronald while he's helping her do chores?
8. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
9. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
10. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least three instances in which Maxine isn't taking good care of Ronald and compare those to three instances in which she seems to be taking good care of him.
Essay Topic 3
While it can be argued that the move is the best thing for Ronald, what impact might it have had on Vernon? How might Vernon have filled his time after Ronald left? Why do you think so?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)