|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine get for Ronald to drink just before she leaves home?
2. Where do the puppets for Frank Gilberti's puppet show come from?
3. What does Milt tell Vernon he'll give him from the store?
4. Who is singing as Vernon goes upstairs, leaving his father in the kitchen?
5. What is the surprise Ben and Mitchell have for the street carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Annie say about Maxine's decision and why does she say she and Vernon disagree on the subject?
2. Describe how Vernon acts during the Special Olympics and why his actions prompt Miss Marlow to say that he's very good with the special needs children.
3. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
4. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
5. What does Ben's mention of the library make Vernon remember and why does it make him change his mind about letting Ben and Sandra read his book?
6. What happens when Ben and Mitchell show up where Ronald and Vernon are sitting?
7. How does Jerry's dad become acquainted with Miss Marlow?
8. How does the question of the Special Olympics come up?
9. What does Vernon do as the car is pulling away?
10. What is on television that prompts the argument between Vernon and Maxine in chapter 20 and what does Maxine say about it that makes Vernon mad?
Essay Topic 1
What does Vernon learn about Jerry's brother, John? Why do you believe Jerry didn't tell Vernon about John earlier? Where does Vernon meet John? Describe John.
Essay Topic 2
Vernon initially tries to hide the fact that he's spending time with Maxine, Ronald and Miss Annie. Why? What are some of the things he does to try to keep his activities secret? Does he succeed? Should he have tried to hide?
Essay Topic 3
Describe actions of Vernon and Ronald at the Special Olympics. Who do they encounter? What do they do? What does Miss Marlow say about it on the way home? Was she correct?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)