|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is singing as Vernon goes upstairs, leaving his father in the kitchen?
2. What is the show the three men put on during the carnival?
3. Who threw a rock through Maxine's front window?
4. What does Sandra say she's saving her money for?
5. What does Vernon say when Bobby teases him about going to Miss Annie's, asking if he's going to see his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
2. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
3. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
4. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
5. What does the guidance counselor suggest Vernon do in an effort to get their grades up?
6. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
7. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
8. Describe the scene in which the "Pointer Sisters" perform?
9. How does the question of the Special Olympics come up?
10. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 2
Vernon initially tries to hide the fact that he's spending time with Maxine, Ronald and Miss Annie. Why? What are some of the things he does to try to keep his activities secret? Does he succeed? Should he have tried to hide?
Essay Topic 3
What do you consider the most important scene of the story? Fully describe the scene and explain its importance to the story.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)