|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Annie say Vernon can do while he stays with Ronald?
2. How many kids are in Vernon's family?
3. What is Vernon's mother's name?
4. What does Vernon do to help calm Ronald?
5. What grade does Maxine say was the last she finished in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the kids saying about Vernon spending time at Miss Annie's in chapter eight?
2. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
3. What are three of the facts Maxine tells Vernon about Ronald while he's helping her do chores?
4. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
5. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
6. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
7. What does Vernon say about his father's efforts to take over the role of his mother?
8. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
9. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
10. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vernon react to the news that Ronald is being sent to live with relatives. Why does he react in this way? Why does Miss Annie disagree? Who do you believe is correct? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the members of Vernon's family. What is his relationship with each?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)