|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Vernon's family?
2. Why is Vernon's neighborhood named Tenley Heights?
3. How far does Bobby say he'll drive a car if he can find one to hotwire?
4. What does Maxine say Ronald is watching when he's at home alone?
5. What is Vernon's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
2. What are three of the facts Maxine tells Vernon about Ronald while he's helping her do chores?
3. What does Vernon say about Maxine's house when he goes down there on the day of the teacher's visit?
4. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
5. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
6. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
7. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
8. What does Maxine say about being smart?
9. How does the question of the Special Olympics come up?
10. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 3
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)