|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person Miss Annie says can control Maxine?
2. What does Vernon say he's going to do when Mr. Ward dies?
3. What are the two subjects Vernon has an F in?
4. What color are Maxine's eyes?
5. How much money does Vernon discover they've made for Ronald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
2. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
3. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
4. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
5. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
6. Why is Vernon feeling so angry as chapter 15 comes to a close?
7. Describe the scene in which the "Pointer Sisters" perform?
8. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
9. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
10. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vernon react to the news that Ronald is being sent to live with relatives. Why does he react in this way? Why does Miss Annie disagree? Who do you believe is correct? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)