|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maxine ask Vernon to come by one afternoon at 4 p.m.?
2. Who is the first member of Venon's family to go to college?
3. What does Tony say was Maxine's reason for getting drunk?
4. Who does Vernon invite along on the shopping trip with Ronald?
5. What religion is Vernon's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
2. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
3. Describe the scene in which the "Pointer Sisters" perform?
4. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
5. Why is Vernon feeling so angry as chapter 15 comes to a close?
6. What does Maxine say about being smart?
7. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
8. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
9. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
10. What are the kids saying about Vernon spending time at Miss Annie's in chapter eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two scenes in which peer pressure plays a role in the actions of Vernon or his friends. Do you believe the scenes are realistic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the members of Vernon's family. What is his relationship with each?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vernon react to the news that Ronald is being sent to live with relatives. Why does he react in this way? Why does Miss Annie disagree? Who do you believe is correct? Why do you believe this?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)