|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Maxine say she and Ronald have lived in the house?
2. Who does Vernon invite along on the shopping trip with Ronald?
3. How many kids are in Vernon's family?
4. What happens when Vernon tries out for the junior high baseball team?
5. What does Tony say was Maxine's reason for getting drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
2. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
3. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
4. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
5. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
6. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
7. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
8. What does Miss Annie ask Vernon to do in return for her tutoring services and what is Vernon's reaction?
9. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
10. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe actions of Vernon and Ronald at the Special Olympics. Who do they encounter? What do they do? What does Miss Marlow say about it on the way home? Was she correct?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Miss Marlow? Ms. Pappas? Mr. Gilberti? Mr Murphy? What are the roles each play in the lives of Vernon and Ronald?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Miss Annie? What kind of person is she? Why is she important to the story? What is her impact on Vernon?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)