|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the present Miss Annie gives to Vernon?
2. Where does Maxine say Ronald's father was from?
3. Who tells Vernon that Maxine is drunk?
4. What does Vernon do when Milt kicks him out of the store?
5. What does Vernon learn Ronald will need for the Special Olympics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
2. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
3. Describe the scene in which the "Pointer Sisters" perform?
4. Why is Vernon feeling so angry as chapter 15 comes to a close?
5. What does Miss Annie ask Vernon to do in return for her tutoring services and what is Vernon's reaction?
6. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
7. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
8. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
9. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
10. What happens when Vernon takes the potatoes back to Maxine's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Special Olympics. Vernon says the Special Olympics changes everything. What does he mean? Was he correct? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)