|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steph suggest Vernon might raise money to help Ronald go to Special Olympics?
2. How long does Miss Annie say Vernon needs to stay with Ronald in chapter eight?
3. What kind of car does Boby Sullivan say he knows how to hotwire?
4. What is in the jar by Miss Annie's sofa?
5. What is Vernon's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
2. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
3. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
4. What does Vernon note about Miss Annie's house the first time he goes inside?
5. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
6. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
7. What does Vernon discover happens to the neighborhood once he's in junior high?
8. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
9. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
10. Why is Vernon particularly worried about being held back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who has stepped into the role of "mother" for Vernon's family after the death of their own mother? List some of her responsibilities. What is her reaction when Vernon's dad creates the schedule for everyone to take turns with the dishes? What are the reactions of the other children? Do you believe it's fair?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Special Olympics. Vernon says the Special Olympics changes everything. What does he mean? Was he correct? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Vernon invites Jerry, Chris and Bobby to go along on the shopping trip but the boys decline the offer. Why does Vernon believe they won't go? Do you believe he's right? Why or why not?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)