|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Miss Annie say Vernon needs to stay with Ronald in chapter eight?
2. What day does Vernon plan to take Ronald shopping for his new shoes?
3. How many medals does Jerry say his brother won the previous year at Special Olympics?
4. How long does it take for Vernon, Maxine and Ronald to clean up the yard?
5. What does Maxine bring home for supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vernon particularly worried about being held back?
2. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
3. What are some of the things Miss Annie does to help Vernon prepare for the street carnival?
4. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
5. What does Vernon say about his father's efforts to take over the role of his mother?
6. How does the question of the Special Olympics come up?
7. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
8. Why is Vernon feeling so angry as chapter 15 comes to a close?
9. Describe the scene in Milt's that results in Vernon's outburst.
10. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two scenes in which peer pressure plays a role in the actions of Vernon or his friends. Do you believe the scenes are realistic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Vernon's mother? Why is her absence important to the story? What aspects of the story might have been different if she were present?
Essay Topic 3
Who has stepped into the role of "mother" for Vernon's family after the death of their own mother? List some of her responsibilities. What is her reaction when Vernon's dad creates the schedule for everyone to take turns with the dishes? What are the reactions of the other children? Do you believe it's fair?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)