|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon do to help calm Ronald?
2. What is Vernon eating when Maxine finds him?
3. How much money does Vernon discover they've made for Ronald?
4. Where does Miss Annie say her children live?
5. What happens when Vernon tries out for the junior high baseball team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
2. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
3. What does Vernon note about Miss Annie's house the first time he goes inside?
4. What does Miss Annie say is the main difference between Maxine and people such as Vernon and Miss Annie?
5. What does Vernon say about his father's efforts to take over the role of his mother?
6. Why is Vernon particularly worried about being held back?
7. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
8. What happens when Vernon takes the potatoes back to Maxine's house?
9. What are the kids saying about Vernon spending time at Miss Annie's in chapter eight?
10. What does Vernon say about Maxine's house when he goes down there on the day of the teacher's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ronald. What does Vernon think of Ronald as the story opens? How does his opinion of Ronald change? Why does his opinion change?
Essay Topic 2
Who has stepped into the role of "mother" for Vernon's family after the death of their own mother? List some of her responsibilities. What is her reaction when Vernon's dad creates the schedule for everyone to take turns with the dishes? What are the reactions of the other children? Do you believe it's fair?
Essay Topic 3
Vernon should have been very happy when Ronald tries to talk but he's suddenly frightened because of all the changes that are happening. What are some of the other changes occurring in Vernon's life and what are his reactions? Who does he turn to for help?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)