|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine say will happen to Vernon because he's a good boy?
2. What does Milt tell Vernon he'll give him from the store?
3. How many times does Vernon say he's had the dream about Ronald?
4. Where does Jerry say his brother lives?
5. What does Vernon say he's going to do when Mr. Ward dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
2. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
3. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
4. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
5. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
6. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
7. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
8. What does the guidance counselor suggest Vernon do in an effort to get their grades up?
9. What does Vernon say about his father's efforts to take over the role of his mother?
10. What happens when Vernon takes the potatoes back to Maxine's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vernon initially tries to hide the fact that he's spending time with Maxine, Ronald and Miss Annie. Why? What are some of the things he does to try to keep his activities secret? Does he succeed? Should he have tried to hide?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vernon react to the news that Ronald is being sent to live with relatives. Why does he react in this way? Why does Miss Annie disagree? Who do you believe is correct? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
What does Vernon learn about Jerry's brother, John? Why do you believe Jerry didn't tell Vernon about John earlier? Where does Vernon meet John? Describe John.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)