|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Vernon discover they've made for Ronald?
2. Who is the first member of Venon's family to go to college?
3. How many kids are in Vernon's family?
4. What is Miss Annie's response when Vernon says she's almost as crazy as Maxine?
5. Who does Vernon invite along on the shopping trip with Ronald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the facts Maxine tells Vernon about Ronald while he's helping her do chores?
2. What are the tasks Vernon, Maxine and Ronald do to clean up Maxine's yard?
3. What does the guidance counselor suggest Vernon do in an effort to get their grades up?
4. What causes an argument between Ben and Vernon almost as soon as Vernon arrives home from cleaning Maxine's yard?
5. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
6. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
7. What is Vernon supposed to tell Maxine when Miss Annie sends him to see her in jail?
8. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
9. What is the problem Vernon is struggling with regarding baseball?
10. What does Miss Annie say Vernon should do about his dream and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who has stepped into the role of "mother" for Vernon's family after the death of their own mother? List some of her responsibilities. What is her reaction when Vernon's dad creates the schedule for everyone to take turns with the dishes? What are the reactions of the other children? Do you believe it's fair?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ronald. What does Vernon think of Ronald as the story opens? How does his opinion of Ronald change? Why does his opinion change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Vernon as the story opens. How does he change over the course of the story? Why does he change?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)