|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Miss Annie say she's going to get seeds for Maxine's garden?
(a) She'll go to town.
(b) She'll get them from Milt's.
(c) She's ordered them.
(d) She's going to send Vernon to get them.
2. Why does Vernon come home early from school that Wednesday in chapter 21?
(a) He pretended to be sick.
(b) The electricity had gone out.
(c) His teacher was ill.
(d) There was a fire at the school.
3. What is the memory Ben mentions that makes Vernon decide to let the younger children read his book?
(a) When Vernon used to be nice to him.
(b) When their dad used to have time to read to them.
(c) When their mother used to take them to the library.
(d) When Steph made them all a present for Christmas.
4. What is the only subject Vernon fails on his final report card?
5. What is Vernon's response when Ben says Maxine is looking for him at the beginning of chapter 28?
(a) That she can call.
(b) That he'll go over to see her.
(c) That he doesn't care what she has to say.
(d) That she can write a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ronald leave the note he writes for Maxine?
2. Which of the seeds does Miss Annie say has to be sowed "with a sweeping motion" in dirt as fine as sand?
3. Who does Jerry say called his father the previous night?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the questions Maxine says Miss Marlow has asked about Ronald?
5. What is the date for the Special Olympics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letter Vernon writes to Miss Marlow.
2. What does Miss Annie find out about the possibility of Ronald being taken by Child Protective Services?
3. What happens when Ben and Mitchell show up where Ronald and Vernon are sitting?
4. What does Vernon's dad say about the night Vernon tried to choke Tony?
5. What does Maxine say was her first impression of the city when she arrived from Carolina?
6. Describe supper on the night Steph has a date.
7. Describe how Vernon acts during the Special Olympics and why his actions prompt Miss Marlow to say that he's very good with the special needs children.
8. What does Ben's mention of the library make Vernon remember and why does it make him change his mind about letting Ben and Sandra read his book?
9. What is the conversation between Vernon and Maxine when Vernon tells her about the situation in front of the lady's house with all the junk in the yard?
10. Describe the argument Jerry and Vernon have about Maxine's abilities as a mother?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)