|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the show the three men put on during the carnival?
(a) They dance and then teach the steps to the audience.
(b) They sing as a barber shop quartet.
(c) They are dressed as the Pointer Sisters and sing.
(d) The do a magic show.
2. What does Vernon say he's going to do when Mr. Ward dies?
(a) Find out who Mr. Ward's children are.
(b) Inherit some baseball cards.
(c) Get back all the baseballs he's taken from the kids.
(d) Be very sad.
3. What is Jerry's brother's name?
4. What does Vernon's father say when Vernon asks why Maxine drinks?
(a) He says she's had a more difficult life than most.
(b) He doesn't know.
(c) He says she's under a lot of pressure because of Ronald.
(d) He says alcoholism is a disease and she can't help it.
5. What does Maxine carry in her handbag?
(a) A phone and notebook.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) Trash bags.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon do to help calm Ronald?
2. What color is the visitor center in the county jail where Maxine is being held?
3. What are the two subjects Vernon has an F in?
4. Where does Jerry say his brother lives?
5. What does Vernon do when Milt kicks him out of the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter eight, Vernon describes seeing Ronald "change" when he becomes less fearful. What is this change and what's the result of it?
2. Describe the argument and fight Vernon and Tony have after the fair.
3. How does Vernon describe his mother when he's talking about the family photo he likes so much?
4. What are some of the things Vernon and his friends do to torment Maxine?
5. Why does Miss Marlow say she's visiting?
6. What kinds of help do others on the block offer when word gets out that Vernon is putting on a carnival to raise money for Ronald's new shoes?
7. What does Maxine say about being smart?
8. Why does Maxine say she and Ronald have mismatched gloves?
9. What does Miss Annie ask Vernon to do in return for her tutoring services and what is Vernon's reaction?
10. Why does Vernon begin performing the magic trick for Ronald?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)