|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vernon say about the smell of the dirt as he's digging Maxine's garden?
(a) That he likes it.
(b) That it smells like a promise.
(c) That he hates it.
(d) That he can't stand it long enough to finish the digging.
2. What are the first words Miss Annie says when Vernon arrives for his lesson in chapter 22?
(a) The seeds arrived.
(b) You're right on time.
(c) You're late.
(d) You're early.
3. What does Maxine have in her hand when Vernon arrives to take him shopping?
(a) A bowl of cereal.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A comb and a bar of soap.
(d) A bottle of liquor.
4. What does Steph ask of Vernon as soon as he gets home?
(a) To help with the zipper on her dress.
(b) To cook supper.
(c) To pick her up a pair of pantyhose from Milt's.
(d) To watch Ben and Sandra.
5. Who is waiting outside the shoe store?
(a) Mr. Murphy and Vernon's dad.
(b) Bobby, Chris and Jerry.
(c) A lot of little kids who want to watch .
(d) Miss Annie and Maxine.
6. What is the word Ronald is apparently trying to say?
7. Why does Vernon go to Miss Annie's house after church in chapter 17?
(a) To tell her about Ronald's new shoes.
(b) To thank her for the book.
(c) To help her clean up her yard.
(d) To ask if she'll help him with another carnival.
8. What is it Vernon's dad says he wants Vernon to teach him?
(a) To speak French.
(b) To repair ten-speed bicycles.
(c) To do the trick to make money disappear.
(d) To read.
9. What does Vernon do with the ribbons Ronald wins?
(a) Holds them for Ronald.
(b) Puts them in Ronald's pocket.
(c) Pins them on Ronald's shirt.
(d) Has Miss Marlow keep them.
10. What does Ronald begin doing when Maxine brings the coffee outside?
(a) Running around pretending to be an airplane.
(b) Chopping at the ground with a hoe.
(c) Begging for a soda.
(d) Drinking coffee.
11. How does Vernon get into the house in the opening of chapter 26?
(a) Maxine opens the door.
(b) The door is unlocked and he goes inside.
(c) He knows where the spare key is.
(d) Ronald opens the door.
12. What is Maxine having for dinner on Sunday in chapter 20?
(a) Burgers and fries.
(b) Grilled hot dogs.
(c) Macaroni and cheese.
(d) Chicken and potatoes.
13. What does Ben say Miss Annie gave him when he went to her house to see the cat that lives under her porch?
(b) A book.
(c) The cat.
(d) A soda.
14. Who does Miss Annie say will help Ronald get into his pajamas?
(a) No one.
(c) Miss Annie.
(d) Miss Marlow.
15. What does Ben say the cat that lives under Miss Annie's porch is named?
(b) Fredrick Douglas.
(d) It doesn't have a name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman with all the junk in the yard say Ronald is doing while he stares at her yard?
2. What color are Ronald's new shoes?
3. What does Bobby's mom make as a treat for the boys while they're watching television?
4. What does Bobby say he'd do if he had a teacher who was as pretty as Miss Marlow?
5. Where is the mailbox where Vernon mails his letter?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)