|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vernon's dad say he wants Vernon to be the one to teach him?
(a) Vernon is the only one who seems to know how.
(b) Vernon is patient.
(c) Vernon has enough free time.
(d) Vernon is spending too much time away from home.
2. Why does Vernon come home early from school that Wednesday in chapter 21?
(a) His teacher was ill.
(b) He pretended to be sick.
(c) There was a fire at the school.
(d) The electricity had gone out.
3. What does Vernon say about the smell of the dirt as he's digging Maxine's garden?
(a) That it smells like a promise.
(b) That he likes it.
(c) That he can't stand it long enough to finish the digging.
(d) That he hates it.
4. What's wrong with Miss Annie that keeps her from walking around the neighborhood?
(a) Her back.
(b) She's lazy.
(c) She doesn't have shoes.
5. Who does Miss Annie say should be told about Ronald's effort to talk?
(a) Miss Marlow.
(b) No one.
(c) Special Services officials.
6. Who does Vernon see outside Maxine's house when he and Miss Annie are looking out the window?
(a) The police.
(d) Miss Marlow.
7. What is the name of the store where Vernon goes to buy Ronald's shoes?
(a) Shoes, Shoes, Shoes.
(c) Shoe Carnival.
(d) Shoe City.
8. What does Bobby say he'd do if he had a teacher who was as pretty as Miss Marlow?
(a) Make straight A's.
(b) Never go back to school.
(c) Go to class every day.
(d) Grow up and marry her.
9. What are the first words Miss Annie says when Vernon arrives for his lesson in chapter 22?
(a) The seeds arrived.
(b) You're late.
(c) You're early.
(d) You're right on time.
10. What is Vernon's response when Ben says Maxine is looking for him at the beginning of chapter 28?
(a) That he doesn't care what she has to say.
(b) That he'll go over to see her.
(c) That she can call.
(d) That she can write a letter.
11. What is the memory Ben mentions that makes Vernon decide to let the younger children read his book?
(a) When their dad used to have time to read to them.
(b) When Vernon used to be nice to him.
(c) When their mother used to take them to the library.
(d) When Steph made them all a present for Christmas.
12. What is Maxine having for dinner on Sunday in chapter 20?
(a) Grilled hot dogs.
(b) Macaroni and cheese.
(c) Chicken and potatoes.
(d) Burgers and fries.
13. Who does Miss Annie call after she learns Miss Marlow has been asking questions?
(b) A man named Sam.
(c) Miss Marlow.
(d) The police .
14. What does Vernon give Jerry after their argument about Maxine and Ronald?
(a) His baseball cards.
(b) His book.
(d) A baseball.
15. What is the first thing Ronald and Vernon do after they're registered?
(a) Change into their official t-shirts.
(b) Get Cokes and hot dogs.
(c) Make a practice walk around the track.
(d) Look for Miss Marlow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vernon get into the house in the opening of chapter 26?
2. Where does Miss Annie say Maxine and Ronald have gone?
3. What is Vernon's response when Miss Annie says she wants Vernon to help with a garden?
4. Who reads part of Vernon's book to Ben?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the questions Maxine says Miss Marlow has asked about Ronald?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)