|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Custer and his wife have their portraits painted in Chapter 14?
2. Carrington read the Bible every morning in what languages?
3. What was Carrington's Achilles' heel?
4. What was the title of Libbie's description of her and her husband's time at Fort Hays?
5. Who was the Cheyenne leader at Little Bighorn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
2. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
3. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
4. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
5. Describe Little Bighorn.
6. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
7. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
8. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
9. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
10. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 13, the author quotes Captain William Fetterman as saying, "With eighty men, I can ride through the entire Sioux nation." Discuss what Fetterman means by this statement and what such a statement says about him.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that the author chose to write about two very different men instead of a biography of a single man? In your opinion, does he do this successfully? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
At the Battle at Rosebud, Crazy Horse tells his men, "It's a good day to die." This phrase has often been repeated by others. What do you think Crazy Horse meant? Are there other possible meanings?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)