|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the 1868 treaty signed?
2. What did Sitting Bull do with much of the money earned at Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show?
3. Who killed Captain Fetterman?
4. Who was placed in charge of the Department of the Mississippi?
5. In 1867, a Missouri senator complains about the Indian wars costing the government at least how much daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does E.B. Taylor induce Indian leaders to sign treaties?
2. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
3. What did Crazy Horse's friend, He Dog, decide to do before the battle at Rosebud?
4. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
5. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
6. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
7. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
8. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
9. Describe Little Bighorn.
10. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 13, the author quotes Captain William Fetterman as saying, "With eighty men, I can ride through the entire Sioux nation." Discuss what Fetterman means by this statement and what such a statement says about him.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Custer's attitude and actions toward the South, in general, and slavery, specifically. How does this relate to his attitude and actions toward Native Americans?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)