|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
2. What is the highest hill at the northern end of the bluffs at Little Bighorn called today?
3. Where was the 1868 treaty signed?
4. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
5. Who shoots Crazy Horse in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
2. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
3. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
4. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
5. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
6. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
7. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
8. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
9. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
10. What were agency Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 13, the author quotes Captain William Fetterman as saying, "With eighty men, I can ride through the entire Sioux nation." Discuss what Fetterman means by this statement and what such a statement says about him.
Essay Topic 2
Based on Part I only, compare and contrast Crazy Horse and Custer. In your opinion, does the author have enough similarities between these two men for any interesting analysis of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, the author has compared Custer to famed World War II general, George S. Patton. Research the life of Patton, then compare and contrast the two men.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)