|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Custer reading in Chapter 19?
2. Which Native American scout remained with Custer as he first entered the Black Hills in 1874?
3. What Oglala enters Custer's camp soon after Custer arrives in Nebraska?
4. When did Custer leave for Fort McPherson?
5. In Chapter 19, who is mentioned as being "drunk nearly all the time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
2. Sitting Bull is referred to as the most famous Native American ever. Why?
3. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
4. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
5. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
6. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
7. What were agency Indians?
8. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
9. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
10. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Custer's attitude and actions toward the South, in general, and slavery, specifically. How does this relate to his attitude and actions toward Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the man, Crazy Horse or Custer, whom you most admire most after reading this book.Write an essay on why you admire this man, providing facts from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Based on Part I only, compare and contrast Crazy Horse and Custer. In your opinion, does the author have enough similarities between these two men for any interesting analysis of their lives?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)