|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sioux call the Black Hills?
2. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
3. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
4. Who leads the charge at the Battle at Rosebud?
5. Who was the Cheyenne leader at Little Bighorn?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
2. What happened in 1840 when some Sioux brought yellow nuggets of gold to Father De Smet?
3. In Chapter 21, the author relates that large numbers of Native Americans are leaving the agencies in 1875. There were "almost as many motives for going north as there were Indians making the trek." What are some of the reasons?
4. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
5. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
6. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
7. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
8. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
9. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
10. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the economic depression of 1873. Contrast it with a later economic depression in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
Essay Topic 3
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)