|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
2. When E.B. Taylor met with Red Cloud, what did he raise the annual annuities to?
3. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
4. Who kills Little Hawk?
5. How much would the extra cavalry offered by Terry have increased Custer's fighting strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Little Bighorn.
2. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
3. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
4. What did Crazy Horse's friend, He Dog, decide to do before the battle at Rosebud?
5. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
6. Sitting Bull is referred to as the most famous Native American ever. Why?
7. In Chapter 21, the author relates that large numbers of Native Americans are leaving the agencies in 1875. There were "almost as many motives for going north as there were Indians making the trek." What are some of the reasons?
8. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
9. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
10. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambrose says that Sherman put "a joker in the deck" of the 1869 Treaty. He calls that joker civilization. Write an essay about what the treaty required of the Sioux relating to civilization. Why does the author refer to this as a "joker"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
Essay Topic 3
Ambrose writes that both Crazy Horse and Custer "lived in a society that exalted individualism..." Describe how both Native American and white societies praised individualism.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)