|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Carrington's Achilles' heel?
2. Where did Red Cloud make what the author calls a "splendid" speech?
3. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
4. Who was Custer to accompany on his first post-Civil War assignment?
5. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
2. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
3. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
4. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
5. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
6. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
7. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
8. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
9. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
10. What were agency Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose the man, Crazy Horse or Custer, whom you most admire most after reading this book.Write an essay on why you admire this man, providing facts from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Custer's attitude and actions toward the South, in general, and slavery, specifically. How does this relate to his attitude and actions toward Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)