|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Medicine Arrow do to give Custer bad luck?
2. Why says in Chapter 18, "There are not many joyous people here"?
3. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
4. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
5. What book is Custer reading in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
2. What happened in 1840 when some Sioux brought yellow nuggets of gold to Father De Smet?
3. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
4. How does E.B. Taylor induce Indian leaders to sign treaties?
5. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
6. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
7. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
8. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
9. Describe Little Bighorn.
10. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Eleven, the author describes Custer as "wallowing" in romanticism. Analyze the connection between romanticism and war.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 13, the author quotes Captain William Fetterman as saying, "With eighty men, I can ride through the entire Sioux nation." Discuss what Fetterman means by this statement and what such a statement says about him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Custer's attitude and actions toward the South, in general, and slavery, specifically. How does this relate to his attitude and actions toward Native Americans?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)