|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news did Custer receive on January 31, 1866?
2. What does Custer take a resolution to not do anymore in 1869?
3. Which regiment stages a mutiny against Custer in Texas?
4. In the last five months of 1866, how many times did the Sioux attack Fort Phil Kearny?
5. Carrington read the Bible every morning in what languages?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
2. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
3. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
4. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
5. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
6. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
7. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
8. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
9. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
10. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Eleven, the author describes Custer as "wallowing" in romanticism. Analyze the connection between romanticism and war.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the economic depression of 1873. Contrast it with a later economic depression in the United States.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)