|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 13, what was the first financial offer that the government made to Plains tribes?
2. Who was Custer to accompany on his first post-Civil War assignment?
3. In the last five months of 1866, how many times did the Sioux attack Fort Phil Kearny?
4. What was the Army's station from their fight at Little Bighorn and where Custer planned for them to return to after the battle?
5. Which Native American scout remained with Custer as he first entered the Black Hills in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
2. How does E.B. Taylor induce Indian leaders to sign treaties?
3. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
4. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
5. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
6. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
7. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
8. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
9. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
10. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Custer's attitude and actions toward the South, in general, and slavery, specifically. How does this relate to his attitude and actions toward Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)