|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
2. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
3. What do the Cheyenne call the battle at Rosebud?
4. How much would the extra cavalry offered by Terry have increased Custer's fighting strength?
5. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
2. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
3. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
4. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
5. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
6. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
7. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
8. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
9. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
10. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reread the section about Pretty Boy being a winkte. What was the Sioux attitude about being a winkte, and how does that compare to today's attitudes about gay people?
Essay Topic 2
Ambrose writes that both Crazy Horse and Custer "lived in a society that exalted individualism..." Describe how both Native American and white societies praised individualism.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 13, the author quotes Captain William Fetterman as saying, "With eighty men, I can ride through the entire Sioux nation." Discuss what Fetterman means by this statement and what such a statement says about him.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)