|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
2. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
3. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
4. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
5. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
2. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
3. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
4. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
5. Describe Curly's first human kill.
6. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
7. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
8. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
9. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
10. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, the author has compared Custer to famed World War II general, George S. Patton. Research the life of Patton, then compare and contrast the two men.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)