|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
2. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
3. How many Native Americans made up the decoy party after camping on July 24, 1865?
4. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
5. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
2. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
3. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
4. Describe Curly's first human kill.
5. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
6. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
7. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
8. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
9. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
10. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that the author chose to write about two very different men instead of a biography of a single man? In your opinion, does he do this successfully? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the economic depression of 1873. Contrast it with a later economic depression in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the language and ideas in "Crazy Horse and Custer," originally published in 1975, dated? Look particularly at words used in discussing both Native and African Americans.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)