|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the WPPA?
2. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
3. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
4. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
5. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
2. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
3. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
4. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
5. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
6. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
7. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
8. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
9. Describe Curly's first human kill.
10. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Eleven, the author describes Custer as "wallowing" in romanticism. Analyze the connection between romanticism and war.
Essay Topic 3
Libbie Bacon is described as a progressive woman. Discuss why the author states this. Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)