|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
2. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
3. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
4. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
5. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
2. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
3. What happens to the Black Hills after the Battle of Bighorn?
4. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
5. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
6. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
7. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
8. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
9. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
10. Sitting Bull is referred to as the most famous Native American ever. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Libbie Bacon is described as a progressive woman. Discuss why the author states this. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
Essay Topic 3
The loss of a friend (Hump), his brother (Little Hawk), and ,then , his daughter had its effect on Crazy Horse. In addition, Crazy Horse's efforts to be with Black Buffalo Woman failed; therefore, he lost her as well. On the surface, he appeared even more quiet and would disappear for weeks at a time. Discuss the effect of grief in the life of Crazy Horse.
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)