Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
2. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
3. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
4. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
5. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does E.B. Taylor induce Indian leaders to sign treaties?
2. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
3. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
4. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
5. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
6. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
7. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
8. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
9. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
10. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the economic depression of 1873. Contrast it with a later economic depression in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Libbie Bacon is described as a progressive woman. Discuss why the author states this. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, the author has compared Custer to famed World War II general, George S. Patton. Research the life of Patton, then compare and contrast the two men.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)