|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
3. Who is George Bent?
4. What color were Custer's eyes?
5. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
2. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
3. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
4. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
5. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
6. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
7. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
8. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
9. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
10. Describe Curly's first human kill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on Part I only, compare and contrast Crazy Horse and Custer. In your opinion, does the author have enough similarities between these two men for any interesting analysis of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Reread the section about Pretty Boy being a winkte. What was the Sioux attitude about being a winkte, and how does that compare to today's attitudes about gay people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)