|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
2. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
3. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
4. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
5. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
2. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
3. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
4. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
5. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
6. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
7. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
8. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
9. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
10. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambrose writes that both Crazy Horse and Custer "lived in a society that exalted individualism..." Describe how both Native American and white societies praised individualism.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of visions among the Sioux, in general, and Crazy Horse's vision, specifically. What do you think of the concept of allowing a vision to determine your life's path?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, the author has compared Custer to famed World War II general, George S. Patton. Research the life of Patton, then compare and contrast the two men.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)