|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Lance Owners?
2. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
3. When did Custer become a Major General?
4. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
5. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
2. Describe Curly's first human kill.
3. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
4. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
5. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
6. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
7. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
8. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
9. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
10. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are the language and ideas in "Crazy Horse and Custer," originally published in 1975, dated? Look particularly at words used in discussing both Native and African Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
Essay Topic 3
At the Battle at Rosebud, Crazy Horse tells his men, "It's a good day to die." This phrase has often been repeated by others. What do you think Crazy Horse meant? Are there other possible meanings?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)