|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
2. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
3. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
4. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
5. What political party did Custer belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
2. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
3. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
4. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
5. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
6. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
7. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
8. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
9. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
10. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the economic depression of 1873. Contrast it with a later economic depression in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
Essay Topic 3
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)