|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
2. When did Custer become a Major General?
3. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
4. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
2. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
3. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
4. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
5. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
6. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
7. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
8. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
9. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
10. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The loss of a friend (Hump), his brother (Little Hawk), and ,then , his daughter had its effect on Crazy Horse. In addition, Crazy Horse's efforts to be with Black Buffalo Woman failed; therefore, he lost her as well. On the surface, he appeared even more quiet and would disappear for weeks at a time. Discuss the effect of grief in the life of Crazy Horse.
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, the author has compared Custer to famed World War II general, George S. Patton. Research the life of Patton, then compare and contrast the two men.
Essay Topic 3
Reread the section about Pretty Boy being a winkte. What was the Sioux attitude about being a winkte, and how does that compare to today's attitudes about gay people?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)