|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
2. After what skirmish did Custer call the Civil War a "Glorious War"?
3. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
4. In Chapter 7, what wars are cited as wars that Custer taught about?
5. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
2. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
3. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
4. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
5. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
6. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
7. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
8. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
9. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
10. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving in Kansas, Custer seems almost desperate to have Libbie with him, regardless of the danger from Indians. His anxiety is described as "nearly too much for him to bear." Once she arrives, "Custer's spirits began to revive." Analyze Custer's actions. Why does he act with such desperation.
Essay Topic 3
Ambrose says that Sherman put "a joker in the deck" of the 1869 Treaty. He calls that joker civilization. Write an essay about what the treaty required of the Sioux relating to civilization. Why does the author refer to this as a "joker"?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)