|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Crazy Horse spend his teenage years according to Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
3. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
4. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
5. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
2. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
3. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
4. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
5. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
6. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
7. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
8. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
9. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
10. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are the language and ideas in "Crazy Horse and Custer," originally published in 1975, dated? Look particularly at words used in discussing both Native and African Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Both Crazy Horse and Custer came from patriarchal societies. Discuss the effect this had on both men.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Eleven, the author describes Custer as "wallowing" in romanticism. Analyze the connection between romanticism and war.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)