|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Custer become a Major General?
2. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
3. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
4. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
5. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
2. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
3. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
4. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
5. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
6. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
7. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
8. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
9. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
10. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that the author chose to write about two very different men instead of a biography of a single man? In your opinion, does he do this successfully? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Eleven, the author describes Custer as "wallowing" in romanticism. Analyze the connection between romanticism and war.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the language and ideas in "Crazy Horse and Custer," originally published in 1975, dated? Look particularly at words used in discussing both Native and African Americans.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)