|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Battle of Washita, what tune did Custer have the band play?
(b) When the Saints Go Marching In.
(c) Garry Owen.
2. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
(a) New York Herald.
(b) Chicago Times.
(c) St. Louis Dispatch.
(d) Boston Globe.
3. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) To sign a treaty.
(b) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
(c) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
(d) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
4. Where was Custer's new regiment, the 7th Cavalry, assigned to in 1867?
(a) Fort Dodge.
(b) Fort Leavenworth.
(c) Fort Riley.
(d) Fort Hays.
5. When did Custer leave for Fort McPherson?
(a) July, 1869.
(b) June, 1867.
(c) May, 1866.
(d) August, 1868.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mitch Bouyer?
2. Which railroad originated in California?
3. What is Crazy Horse's daughter called?
4. Who was the Cheyenne leader at Little Bighorn?
5. Who is the Miniconjou medicine man who has a strong vision in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
2. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
3. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
4. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
5. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
6. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
7. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
8. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
9. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
10. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)