|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) To sign a treaty.
(b) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
(c) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
(d) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
2. Which railroad originated in California?
(a) Central Pacific.
(b) Kansas Pacific.
(c) California Pacific.
(d) Union Pacific.
3. What was the title of Libbie's description of her and her husband's time at Fort Hays?
(a) Frontier Life for the Custers.
(b) Following the Guidon.
(c) Following the Indian Trail.
(d) Our Life at Fort Hays.
4. In what city did Custer and his wife have their portraits painted in Chapter 14?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) St. Louis.
5. In Chapter 19, who is mentioned as being "drunk nearly all the time"?
(a) Fred Grant.
(b) Charley Agard.
(c) Gary Owen.
(d) Harry Reynolds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Cheyenne call the battle at Rosebud?
2. When do Custer and Crazy Horse first fight in the same battle?
3. What do Sioux call the Black Hills?
4. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
5. Along what trail did the army plan to build a fort in 1866?
Short Essay Questions
1. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
2. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
3. How does E.B. Taylor induce Indian leaders to sign treaties?
4. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
5. What did Crazy Horse's friend, He Dog, decide to do before the battle at Rosebud?
6. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
7. What were agency Indians?
8. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
9. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
10. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)