|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mark Kellogg?
(a) News correspondent.
(b) Custer's nephew.
(c) Custer's brother-in-law.
(d) Custer's second in command.
2. Why says in Chapter 18, "There are not many joyous people here"?
(a) Libbie Custer.
(b) Lieutenant Stanley.
(d) Tom Custer.
3. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
(a) Yellow Hair.
(d) Loud man.
4. According to Chapter 20, what two Sioux leaders were jealous of each other?
(a) Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.
(b) Young Man Afraid and Old Man Afraid.
(c) Red Cloud and Spotted Tail.
(d) Sitting Bull and Red Cloud.
5. Who kills Little Hawk?
(a) A group of white miners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news did Custer receive on January 31, 1866?
2. Who was placed in charge of the Department of the Mississippi?
3. What do the Cheyenne call the battle at Rosebud?
4. What is the highest hill at the northern end of the bluffs at Little Bighorn called today?
5. According to Chapter 13, what was the first financial offer that the government made to Plains tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
2. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
3. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
4. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
5. What two men taught Custer the most about the Plains and the tribes that live there?
6. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
7. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
8. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
9. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
10. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)