|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who operated as the rear guard in the fight against the Shoshoni in Chapter 17?
(a) Good Weasel, Little Hawk, and Red Feather.
(b) Hump, He Dog, and Crazy Horse.
(c) Red Feather, He Dog, and Little Hawk.
(d) Crazy Horse, Hump, and Good Weasel.
2. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) To sign a treaty.
(b) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
(c) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
(d) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
3. Whose brains splattered on Reno's face during fire?
(a) Lieutenant Clark.
(b) John Martini.
(d) Bloody Knief.
4. Where did Crazy Horse mourn his daughter's death for three days and nights?
(a) Powder River.
(b) Crow Country.
(c) Shoshoni country.
(d) Black Hills.
5. Who kills Little Hawk?
(b) A group of white miners.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1868, approximately how many troops were stationed on the frontier?
2. At the Battle of Washita, what tune did Custer have the band play?
3. When did Custer leave for Fort McPherson?
4. Which Native American scout remained with Custer as he first entered the Black Hills in 1874?
5. What book is Custer reading in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
2. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
3. What were agency Indians?
4. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
5. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
6. Crazy Horse becomes a leader of a band of Sioux in Chapter 20. Explain what this means.
7. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
8. In Chapter 21, the author relates that large numbers of Native Americans are leaving the agencies in 1875. There were "almost as many motives for going north as there were Indians making the trek." What are some of the reasons?
9. According to the author, what was the first time that Crazy Horse's actions affected Custer?
10. Describe Little Bighorn.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)