|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Custer name as one of the chief pleasures he and Libbie enjoyed on the Plains?
(a) New commands.
(b) Visiting new places.
(c) Horseback riding.
(d) Camping under the stars.
2. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
3. What Oglala enters Custer's camp soon after Custer arrives in Nebraska?
(a) Spotted Tail.
(b) Young Man Afraid.
(c) Red Cloud.
(d) Pawnee Killer.
4. What did Sitting Bull do with much of the money earned at Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show?
(a) Sent it to his family.
(b) Spent it on horses.
(c) Bought things with it.
(d) Gave it to poor children.
5. In 1867, a Missouri senator complains about the Indian wars costing the government at least how much daily?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which regiment stages a mutiny against Custer in Texas?
2. Who remarks in Chapter 21 that Custer is going to be killed?
3. What did Medicine Arrow do to give Custer bad luck?
4. Which railroad originated in California?
5. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
Short Essay Questions
1. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
2. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
3. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
4. In Chapter 21, the author relates that large numbers of Native Americans are leaving the agencies in 1875. There were "almost as many motives for going north as there were Indians making the trek." What are some of the reasons?
5. What was the real purpose of inviting Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, and other Indian leaders to Washington in 1870?
6. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
7. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
8. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
9. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
10. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)