|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Red Cloud make what the author calls a "splendid" speech?
(a) State Capitol, Omaha.
(b) Cooper Union, New York.
(c) World's Fair, Chicago.
(d) Potomac River, Washington, D.C.
2. What was the Army's station from their fight at Little Bighorn and where Custer planned for them to return to after the battle?
(a) Fort Omaha.
(b) Fort Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Fort Laramie.
(d) Fort MacArthur.
3. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
(a) Fort Wallace.
(b) Fort Laramie.
(c) Fort Sedgwick.
(d) Fort Leavenworth.
4. Who is the Miniconjou medicine man who has a strong vision in Chapter 18?
(a) Pleny Lice.
(b) White Bull.
(c) Gets-the-Best of-Them.
(d) Long Holy.
5. What do the Cheyenne call the battle at Rosebud?
(a) Attack of the Crook.
(b) Where the Crow and Shoshoni are Beat.
(c) Where the Girl Saved Her Brother.
(d) Crazy Horse's Revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mark Kellogg?
2. When E.B. Taylor met with Red Cloud, what did he raise the annual annuities to?
3. In 1867, a Missouri senator complains about the Indian wars costing the government at least how much daily?
4. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
5. Who blocked Custer's path on the north side of the river with approximately 1,500 Hunkpapas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
2. What were agency Indians?
3. In Chapter 21, the author relates that large numbers of Native Americans are leaving the agencies in 1875. There were "almost as many motives for going north as there were Indians making the trek." What are some of the reasons?
4. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
5. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
6. Why did Crazy Horse keep his feelings for Black Buffalo Woman secret?
7. What happened in 1840 when some Sioux brought yellow nuggets of gold to Father De Smet?
8. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
9. What route did Custer's party take to Texas?
10. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)