|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Custer and Crazy Horse first fight in the same battle?
(a) January, 1874.
(b) July, 1873.
(c) October, 1873.
(d) December, 1872.
2. Who does Crazy Horse marry in 1872?
(a) Black Buffalo Woman.
(b) Black Shawl.
(c) Red Feather.
(d) Red Elk.
3. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
(a) Chicago Times.
(b) Boston Globe.
(c) St. Louis Dispatch.
(d) New York Herald.
4. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
(a) Position in Mexican Army.
(b) Fort Commander over Fort Kearney.
(c) Position in the War Department in Washington, D.C.
(d) Position protecting California railway workers.
5. Which railroad originated in California?
(a) Kansas Pacific.
(b) Union Pacific.
(c) Central Pacific.
(d) California Pacific.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last five months of 1866, how many times did the Sioux attack Fort Phil Kearny?
2. What was Carrington's Achilles' heel?
3. According to Chapter 20, what two Sioux leaders were jealous of each other?
4. Where was the 1868 treaty signed?
5. Who kills Little Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1840 when some Sioux brought yellow nuggets of gold to Father De Smet?
2. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
3. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
4. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
5. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
6. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
7. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
8. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
9. How does Sitting Bull describe Custer's death?
10. What is the "Panic of 1873"?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)