|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
(b) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(c) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(d) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
2. What political party did Custer belong to?
(a) No answers are correct.
3. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
4. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Day.
(b) Officer of the Guard.
(c) First Cadet.
(d) Commandant of the Cadets.
5. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Brave Bear.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Spotted Tail.
(d) Old Man Afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
2. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
3. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
4. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
5. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
2. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
3. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
4. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
5. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
6. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
7. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
8. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
9. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
10. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)