|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party did Custer belong to?
(a) No answers are correct.
2. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Red Cloud.
(b) Bad Bear.
(c) Crazy Horse, the father.
(d) Old Smoke.
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
(a) It is more disciplined.
(b) Larger population.
(c) More assets.
(d) Greater technology.
4. What is the WPPA?
(a) West Point Protestant Academy.
(b) West Point Provincial Academy.
(c) West Point Protocol Association.
(d) West Point Protective Association.
5. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Branded with the letter 'C' for coward.
(c) Sentenced to a year of hard labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
2. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
3. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
4. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
5. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
2. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
3. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
4. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
5. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
6. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
7. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
8. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
9. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
10. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)