|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
(a) Sitting Bull's niece.
(b) Black Buffalo Woman.
(c) Red Shawl Woman.
(d) Daughter of Old-Man-Afraid-of-his-Horses.
2. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(a) Bear Butte.
(b) Pa Sapa.
3. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
(a) Captain Custer.
(b) Colonel Collins.
(c) Colonel Chivington.
(d) General Evans.
4. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) A hobby.
(b) A religion.
(c) A psychic need.
(d) The reason for living.
5. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
(a) George Bent.
(b) Ken Burns.
(c) Jay Monaghan.
(d) Carol Gluck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
2. Who wrote to Custer, "...I had to weep for joy that the recollection was sweet in your memory"?
3. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
4. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
5. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
2. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
3. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
4. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
5. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
6. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
7. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
8. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
9. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
10. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)