|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) Caspar Collins.
(b) Joseph Smith.
(c) Jedidiah Smith.
(d) William O. Collins.
2. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
3. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
(b) The parent of one of his students.
(c) His father.
(d) Congressman Bingham.
4. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He was injured.
(b) He found out it was a woman.
(c) He refused to scalp anyone.
(d) He did not have a scalping knife.
5. Who is Washakie?
(a) Oglala warrior.
(b) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(c) Headman of the Crow.
(d) Cheyenne warrior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
2. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
3. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
4. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
5. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
2. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
3. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
4. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
5. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
6. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
7. Why was Custer's desertion rate in Kansas so high?
8. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
9. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
10. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)