|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
2. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Sweetwater River.
(b) Captive Butte.
(c) Bighorn River.
(d) Near Fort Laramie.
3. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) The parent of one of his students.
(b) His father.
(c) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
(d) Congressman Bingham.
4. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(a) 25 million.
(b) 2.5 million.
(c) 75 million.
5. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
(a) He Dog.
(b) Little Big Man.
(d) Young Man Afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Native Americans made up the decoy party after camping on July 24, 1865?
2. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
3. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
4. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
5. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
2. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
3. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
4. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
5. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
6. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
7. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
8. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
9. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
10. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)