Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) Congressman Bingham.
(b) The parent of one of his students.
(c) His father.
(d) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
2. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Bad Bear.
(b) Crazy Horse, the father.
(c) Old Smoke.
(d) Red Cloud.
3. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(b) General Custer.
(c) General Horace Porter.
(d) General Grant.
4. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) John Pelham.
(b) General Joseph Hooker.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
5. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
(a) He Dog.
(b) Eleanor Hinman.
(c) Bad Heart Bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
2. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
3. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
4. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
5. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to He Dog after 1875?
2. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
3. According to the author, what mistakes did Custer make at the Battle of Little Bighorn?
4. Describe Red Cloud in 1866 and what makes him a good leader.
5. What change does becoming a father have on Crazy Horse?
6. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
7. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
8. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
9. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
10. By the spring of 1866, what progress has been made on the railroads, and what are the future plans?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)