|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Competing against others.
(b) Going to school.
(c) Trying to do something and be somebody.
(d) Playing practical jokes.
2. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
(a) Two or three.
(b) As many as possible.
(c) Five or six.
3. What are the Lance Owners?
(a) Cheyenne warriors.
(b) A Sioux society.
(d) A tribal nickname.
4. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
5. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General Lee.
(b) General Smith.
(c) General Burnside.
(d) General McClellan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
2. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
3. What color were Custer's eyes?
4. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
5. What is the WPPA?
Short Essay Questions
1. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
2. What were agency Indians?
3. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
4. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
5. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
6. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
7. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
8. Describe the Sun Dance held at Rosebud.
9. Sitting Bull is referred to as the most famous Native American ever. Why?
10. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)