|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(a) 25 million.
(c) 75 million.
(d) 2.5 million.
2. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
(a) Last of the Mohicans.
(c) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) Swallow Barn.
3. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
(a) Dutch immigrants who first settled in Pennsylvania.
(b) Dutch immigrants from Germany.
(c) Dutch immigrants from the Rhineland.
(d) German immigrants from the Rhineland.
4. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
5. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Commandant of the Cadets.
(b) Officer of the Guard.
(c) Officer of the Day.
(d) First Cadet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
2. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
3. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
4. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
5. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
2. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
3. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
4. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
5. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
6. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
7. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
8. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
9. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
10. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)