|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Brave Bear.
(c) Spotted Tail.
(d) Old Man Afraid.
2. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
(a) Custer's father died.
(b) Custer married Libbie.
(c) Custer became a general.
(d) Custer left for the frontier.
3. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
(a) Daughter of Old-Man-Afraid-of-his-Horses.
(b) Black Buffalo Woman.
(c) Red Shawl Woman.
(d) Sitting Bull's niece.
4. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(a) 75 million.
(b) 25 million.
(d) 2.5 million.
5. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
(a) Captain Custer.
(b) Fernando Wood.
(c) General McClellan.
(d) General Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
2. How did Crazy Horse spend his teenage years according to Chapter 7?
3. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
4. What color were Custer's eyes?
5. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
2. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
3. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
4. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
5. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
6. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
7. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
8. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
9. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
10. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)