|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(a) Little Warrior.
(b) Crazy Horse.
2. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) A religion.
(b) The reason for living.
(c) A hobby.
(d) A psychic need.
3. Who is Washakie?
(a) Headman of the Crow.
(b) Cheyenne warrior.
(c) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(d) Oglala warrior.
4. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
(a) 22 and 23.
(b) 29 and 30.
(c) 23 and 24.
(d) 24 and 25.
5. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
(a) Sixteen to seventeen.
(b) Twelve or thirteen.
(c) Ten or eleven.
(d) Fourteen to fifteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
2. What political party did Custer belong to?
3. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
4. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
5. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
2. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
3. Describe Curly's first human kill.
4. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
5. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
6. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
7. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
8. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
9. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
10. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)