|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Three pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) One pound.
2. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Brave Bear.
(b) Old Man Afraid.
(c) Spotted Tail.
(d) Crazy Horse.
3. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Both men.
(c) Neither man.
4. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(b) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(c) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(d) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
5. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Jeb Stuart.
(b) Wesley Merritt.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Phil Sheridan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
2. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
3. Who did Custer vote for in the 1864 election for president?
4. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
5. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religion did the Custer family practice, and where did they worship?
2. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
3. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
4. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
5. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
6. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
7. Describe Curly's first human kill.
8. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
9. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
10. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)