|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) The parent of one of his students.
(b) His father.
(c) Congressman Bingham.
(d) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
2. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Jeb Stuart.
(c) Phil Sheridan.
(d) Wesley Merritt.
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
(a) More assets.
(b) Greater technology.
(c) It is more disciplined.
(d) Larger population.
4. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Captain Holmes.
(b) Sargent Sherwood.
(c) Lieutenant Yates.
(d) Tom Custer.
5. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(b) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(c) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(d) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
2. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
3. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
4. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
5. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
2. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
3. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
4. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
5. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
6. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
7. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
8. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
9. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
10. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)