|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
(a) 160 pounds.
(b) 140 pounds.
(c) 180 pounds.
(d) 200 pounds.
2. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(b) Serve as a chief.
(d) Make war.
3. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(d) Conquering Bear.
4. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
(a) Boston, Massachusettes.
(b) Monroe, Michigan.
(c) Yorktown, Indiana.
(d) Columbus, Ohio.
5. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
(a) Secretary of War, Henry Knox.
(b) President Andrew Jackson.
(c) Founding father, Samuel Adams.
(d) Vermont lawyer, Thomas Farnham.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
2. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
3. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
4. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
5. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
2. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
3. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
4. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
5. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
6. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
7. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
8. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
9. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
10. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)