|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) General Custer.
(b) General Grant.
(c) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(d) General Horace Porter.
2. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(c) Gimlet Lea.
(d) Daniel Bacon.
3. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(b) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
(c) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
(d) A group of Crow Indians.
4. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(a) Animals as teachers.
5. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
(a) Custer married Libbie.
(b) Custer left for the frontier.
(c) Custer's father died.
(d) Custer became a general.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party did Custer belong to?
2. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
3. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
4. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
5. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
2. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
3. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
4. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
5. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
6. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
7. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
8. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
9. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
10. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)