|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Captain Holmes.
(b) Tom Custer.
(c) Lieutenant Yates.
(d) Sargent Sherwood.
2. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
3. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Bad Bear.
(b) Crazy Horse, the father.
(c) Red Cloud.
(d) Old Smoke.
4. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) Six pounds.
(b) Three pounds.
(c) One pound.
(d) Five pounds.
5. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(a) Pa Sapa.
(c) Bear Butte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
2. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
3. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
4. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
5. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
2. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
3. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
4. What did Crazy Horse and Custer think of alcohol?
5. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
6. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
7. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
8. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
9. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
10. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)