|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He was injured.
(b) He did not have a scalping knife.
(c) He found out it was a woman.
(d) He refused to scalp anyone.
2. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(d) Conquering Bear.
3. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(a) Serve as a chief.
(c) Make war.
4. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
(a) Big Bellies.
(b) Akicita society.
(c) Chief council.
5. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
(b) Military strategy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
2. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
3. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
4. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
5. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Crazy Horse's religion.
2. What did the chiefs' society that resumed in 1865 involve and what was Crazy Horse's role?
3. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
4. What is a kola and who was the kola of Curly?
5. How are Crazy Horse and Custer viewed during their late teens?
6. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
7. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
8. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
10. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)