|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) His father.
(b) Congressman Bingham.
(c) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
(d) The parent of one of his students.
2. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
(a) 3000 to 4500.
(b) 1000 to 2500.
(c) Less than a thousand.
(d) 5000 to 7500.
3. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
4. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
(a) Boston, Massachusettes.
(b) Monroe, Michigan.
(c) Columbus, Ohio.
(d) Yorktown, Indiana.
5. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
2. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
3. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
4. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
5. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Custer only took one leave from West Point. When and where did he go?
2. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
3. What did De Crevecoeur have in mind when he wrote, "The American is a new man who acts on new principles"?
4. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
5. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
6. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
7. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
8. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
9. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
10. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)