|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
2. After what skirmish did Custer call the Civil War a "Glorious War"?
(b) Rappahannock River.
3. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He found out it was a woman.
(b) He did not have a scalping knife.
(c) He was injured.
(d) He refused to scalp anyone.
4. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(b) Bear Butte.
(c) Pa Sapa.
5. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) General Custer.
(b) General Horace Porter.
(c) General Grant.
(d) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Lance Owners?
2. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
3. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
4. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
5. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
2. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
3. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
4. In what ways did Custer and Crazy Horse stand out in a crowd?
5. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
6. What type of furniture did Custer have at West Point?
7. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
8. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
9. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
10. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)