|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(a) Daniel Bacon.
(c) Gimlet Lea.
2. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(a) 25 million.
(b) 2.5 million.
(d) 75 million.
3. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(a) Conquering Bear.
4. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(a) Make war.
(b) Serve as a chief.
5. Who is George Bent?
(a) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(b) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
(c) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(d) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
2. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
3. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
4. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
5. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
2. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
3. Chapter 2 speaks of the 19th century attitude of "getting rid of it." What does this refer to?
4. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
5. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
6. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
7. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
8. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
9. Why was Custer turned down for a command of a new Michigan cavalry regiment?
10. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)