|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) June, 1860.
(b) August, 1859.
(c) July, 1857.
(d) September, 1858.
2. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Spotted Tail.
(b) Old Man Afraid.
(c) Brave Bear.
(d) Crazy Horse.
3. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Red Cloud.
(b) Bad Bear.
(c) Crazy Horse, the father.
(d) Old Smoke.
4. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Lieutenant Yates.
(b) Tom Custer.
(c) Sargent Sherwood.
(d) Captain Holmes.
5. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) One pound.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Six pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
2. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
3. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
4. Who did Custer vote for in the 1864 election for president?
5. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Francis Parkman, and why is he significant in the beginning chapters?
2. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
3. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
4. What were some of Crazy Horse's idiosyncracies as . noted before he went into battle?
5. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
6. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
7. Describe what happened when Custer and his wife left for the Wilderness Campaign.
8. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
9. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
10. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)