|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
(a) Johnnie Cisco.
(b) Joseph Fought.
2. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Neither man.
(d) Both men.
3. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(b) General Grant.
(c) General Horace Porter.
(d) General Custer.
4. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(a) Pa Sapa.
(c) Bear Butte.
5. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) Speaker of the House Colfax.
(c) Secretary of War Stanton.
(d) General Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party did Custer belong to?
2. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
3. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
4. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
5. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what led Curly to seek a vision in Chapter 4?
2. What differences did General McClellan have against the Lincoln administration?
3. How did the Cheyenne and Sioux plan for the big expedition against the settlers and soldiers in the summer of 1865?
4. What were the results of Custer's leadership on the Wilderness campaign of May, 1864?
5. In Chapter 11, why does the author describe Custer as a romantic?
6. Describe Curly's first human kill.
7. How did Colonel Chivington set up the events of the Sand Creek Massacre?
8. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
9. Describe the plunder that George Bent reports he sees in an Indian camp as the Sioux and Cheyenne attack settlements along the Platte River.
10. What was the demerit policy of West Point when Custer attended? How many demerits did he regularly receive?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)