|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) John Pelham.
(c) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
(d) General Joseph Hooker.
2. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) General Grant.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Speaker of the House Colfax.
(d) Secretary of War Stanton.
3. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Old Smoke.
(b) Red Cloud.
(c) Crazy Horse, the father.
(d) Bad Bear.
4. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
(a) He Dog.
(c) Eleanor Hinman.
(d) Bad Heart Bull.
5. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(a) Neither man.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Both men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
3. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
4. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
5. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do men and animals congregate in the tree groves on the Great Plains in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Custer's first love, and how does he know her?
3. In Chapter 3, why was Curly encouraged to look up to young warriors? In what way did he not?
4. Explain George Armstrong Custer's birth order.
5. What did General Sherman hope to have happen when he pushed for the 1868 peace treaty with the Sioux?
6. What charm did Crazy Horse receive in 1862 or 1863 and from whom? What was the charm supposed to do?
7. In Chapter 12, both men are described as finding the "rush of hot, fresh blood exciting." In what ways is this demonstrated?
8. Why is Custer bored in Chapter 17?
9. What does the final chapter suggest about Crazy Horse's first love, Black Buffalo Woman?
10. What did the government mean about "civilization" in the Treaty of 1868?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)